Chicago Cubs

Pretty happy about that. My only baseball experience was going to see the Cubs at Wrigley Field against the Cardinals, so I kind of regard them as my team.

Wrigley Field was an amazing place. Hope it stays that way after the redevelopment. :(

38 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

It was sponsored by a newspaper called that back in the day that's why it's called the World Series. Anyway must be the most boring sport ever

It's more enjoyable being there. You feel the gladiatorial nature of it.

17 minutes ago, Inigo said:

It's more enjoyable being there. You feel the gladiatorial nature of it.

I went to see Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park and was bored stiff. We left early and missed them winning the game with a grand slam, apparently that doesn't happen too often and the next day's papers were full of it.

6 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I went to see Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park and was bored stiff. We left early and missed them winning the game with a grand slam, apparently that doesn't happen too often and the next day's papers were full of it.

I liked it. Was quite a social occasion, presumably because it's such a slow game. Everyone was sitting and chatting and having a beer in the sun with some hotdogs and shit. It was kind of like going to a barbecue with some sport on in the background to take your attention every now and again.

The weather, the fact that it feels very open and outdoors at Wrigley because half of it is so low, and the sheer historic atmosphere of Wrigley field all helped with this feeling as well. 

It's the most chilled and laid back I've ever felt at a sports event. Got to see a home run from the famous Sammy Sosa as well, which was good.

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I liked it. Was quite a social occasion, presumably because it's such a slow game. Everyone was sitting and chatting and having a beer in the sun with some hotdogs and shit. It was kind of like going to a barbecue with some sport on in the background to take your attention every now and again.

The weather, the fact that it feels very open and outdoors at Wrigley because half of it is so low, and the sheer historic atmosphere of Wrigley field all helped with this feeling as well. 

It's the most chilled and laid back I've ever felt at a sports event. Got to see a home run from the famous Sammy Sosa as well, which was good.

I think you've summed up the difference, and rather than embrace that and enjoy it, I was comparing it to a football game back home and didn't appreciate being in one of American sport's iconic venues. 

I also passed Candlestick Park in San Francisco a few times and hoped to take in a game there, I didn't know it had been demolished last year.

8 hours ago, Inigo said:

Pretty happy about that. My only baseball experience was going to see the Cubs at Wrigley Field against the Cardinals, so I kind of regard them as my team.

Wrigley Field was an amazing place. Hope it stays that way after the redevelopment. :(

I've wanted to go there mate .Seen a programme on the club few years back .It did look impressive 

3 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I think you've summed up the difference, and rather than embrace that and enjoy it, I was comparing it to a football game back home and didn't appreciate being in one of American sport's iconic venues. 

I also passed Candlestick Park in San Francisco a few times and hoped to take in a game there, I didn't know it had been demolished last year.

It's occasionally quite footballish, HP. ;):):)

Go Cubs!

5 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Really .Firsr I knew that .Another iconic stadium 

7 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

I've wanted to go there mate .Seen a programme on the club few years back .It did look impressive 

They're redeveloping it mate. I don't know what's happening tbh, but I hope it doesn't take away from the feeling of the place. Felt like a wee bit of the 1920s or 30s brought to our time. Seeing the tenements overlooking the stand on the far side, it just felt like an integral part of the city. Amazing place.

11 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I didn't know it had been demolished that was where The Beatles played their last ever public concert