When The Going Get's Tough...........The Tough Get Going.

tannerall

My basic observation tonight is the desperate need to install some toughness and character in to the team. 

We've become a soft touch due to our inability to impose our preferred style of play, especially in midfield. Other teams have this sussed. 

I believe it is right to try and play the passing game, play good football, hold the ball, keep possession. But when the pretty stuff goes tits up (usually due to chances spurned), we do not have the leaders, characters and tough pros to grab the game by the balls and hold on and  fight.

So I look at our team for the kind of players who can command a game, intimidate, mix it about, and I see that kind of fight lacking everywhere (with the exception of Garner who unfortunately is lost upfront, and Kenny Miller who is giving his all, but the gas tank probably ain't got to much left)

I believe that Barton and Hill were probably brought in to give us a bit more nous and muscle, but Barton is gone, Hill has not had the desired effect, and we now see clearly our midfield offers no threat or intimidation in that most crucial area.

Wallace again proved against the English he has the potential, but he has not shown that consistency with us for months now. As for the rest, they are looking to be out their depth in competiveness and muscle.

We won't sack the manager, and I believe he won't quit in the short term (unless we have another shocker against the tims). So the only practical short term solution left, in my opinion, is to buy this strength and resolve back in our team. 

In  the January transfer window can we find two strong combative solid experienced pros to strengthen our resolve and keep us in the battle for that second/third in the league ? It's a big ask, and it may cost a bit, but the alternative where we do not toughen up for the New Year to get us through the season to a decent position is quite frankly scary.

4 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

We don't have the money to buy the players we need.

The significant risk to a business going forward at this stage without improvement makes it a necessity to invest. 

Simple accountancy there. King has no choice now. 

1 minute ago, tannerall said:

The significant risk to a business going forward at this stage makes it a necessity to invest. 

Spot on replace " king has no choice now " with king has no money and  there is our biggest problem.

4 minutes ago, tannerall said:

The significant risk to a business going forward at this stage without improvement makes it a necessity to invest. 

Do you think he has the money? 

King will know it's not working, by the time we get to January we could be out the top 3 and on the back of another Derby kicking. Is he going to hand over significant funds to a man who is in all honesty not going to be here next season? 

The leagues gone, second place is a slug fest which we look like not being capable of. King isn't a risk taker, he will play it safe until the summer.

11 minutes ago, tannerall said:

It's a big ask, and it may cost a bit, but the alternative where we do not toughen up for the New Year to get us through the season to a decent position is quite frankly scary.

...and there's yer dinner.

MW will be reduced to scouring for more bargain basement / free / loan deal signings. There will be no war chest from which to strengthen.

We're a middle table team at the very most (or as was pointed out earlier,  we've now played 5 games against top 6 sides and won 1, with an injury time winner against Motherwell....so we're more a bottom 1/2 team).

Sad reality, but there yer are.

14 minutes ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

No one associated with Rangers is at the standard we require and demand. Bottom line, from the board all the way to the fucking grounds men.

Don't talk shite, the pitch has been superb all season.

Dis-credits your otherwise good argument.

We all know the players are no-where near the requirement we need. Chucking money in January is a nice idea, but we simply can't afford it. 

Even if we could, I wouldn't trust Warburton to sign anyone to solidify the defense, midfield or improve our striking options. Senderos will be on decent money and is nowhere to be seen, he authorised the signing on a fucking helmet in Joey Barton and spent 1.8 million on a striker who doesn't fit into the system he wants to play.

He can gtf with any cash

There's not a single shred of fight in the majority of the team. 

I can't recall what article/interview exactly but I can't help but remember Mckay saying something along the lines of him being really worried about getting tackled badly... I couldn't help but think what the fuck?! He's certainly not the only example but he's one that springs to mind as a player who's went back into his shell big time.

I just don't get it.

Have some fucking balls about you fucks sake. (the team, not just Mckay)

It'd be one thing, for me personally, to be walking away from defeats like tonight or points dropped thinking "at least they gave it their all and had a right fucking go etc" but I find myself thinking a number of players just shit out of everything every week.

26 minutes ago, tannerall said:

My basic observation tonight is the desperate need to install some toughness and character in to the team. 

We've become a soft touch due to our inability to impose our preferred style of play, especially in midfield. Other teams have this sussed. 

I believe it is right to try and play the passing game, play good football, hold the ball, keep possession. But when the pretty stuff goes tits up (usually due to chances spurned), we do not have the leaders, characters and tough pros to grab the game by the balls and hold on and  fight.

So I look at our team for the kind of players who can command a game, intimidate, mix it about, and I see that kind of fight lacking everywhere (with the exception of Garner who unfortunately is lost upfront, and Kenny Miller who is giving his all, but the gas tank probably ain't got to much left)

I believe that Barton and Hill were probably brought in to give us a bit more nous and muscle, but Barton is gone, Hill has not had the desired effect, and we now see clearly our midfield offers no threat or intimidation in that most crucial area.

Wallace again proved against the English he has the potential, but he has not shown that consistency with us for months now. As for the rest, they are looking to be out their depth in competiveness and muscle.

We won't sack the manager, and I believe he won't quit in the short term (unless we have another shocker against the tims). So the only practical short term solution left, in my opinion, is to buy this strength and resolve back in our team. 

In  the January transfer window can we find two strong combative solid experienced pros to strengthen our resolve and keep us in the battle for that second/third in the league ? It's a big ask, and it may cost a bit, but the alternative where we do not toughen up for the New Year to get us through the season to a decent position is quite frankly scary.

The man aint for changing, that is clear. It's 433 all the way until death do us part and no matter who we bring in, we will remain predictable and inept as a consequence. We are going nowhere with this man and I wouldn't give him another penny to waste.

Given 433 is (sadly) it for the way we set up, I don't believe we can play with Holt and Halliday in the midfield. Most of the teams in this league have no trouble brushing those two aside on the 50:50 challenges that determine who's boss. I was surprised Crooks started today - and I thought he turned the ball over too often (not the only one) but he's a big unit and doesn't get knocked off the ball. We have Hodson who can arguably defend better than Tav - so why not play him at RB and let Tav move into midfield with a licence to get forward, as well as the physical presence H and H lack? The idea isn't foreign as we set up that way in the league game against septic. Forrester is combative and creative and should be the third midfielder. Let Holt run around creating space late in the game instead of being crunched out of it for the first hour. Also love to see Garner and Dodoo play together up front - Garner can win first touches and Dodoo knows how to finish.