Something I Never Had

Something I never had growing up was a grandad taking me to see Rangers , one was always pissed and the other my auld man barely spoke to, couple of weeks ago I was working so couldn't go to the game and my da said I'll take the lassies , he hadn't been for a few years despite taking me and my brothers home and away throughout our youth. The look on his face when he dropped them back off was brilliant wearing a Davie Cooper t-shirt and Rangers woolly hat, fucking magic he said , don't know why the fuck i stopped going , same situation tomorrow and he's been on the phone twice tonight with the words , taking your grandkids to Ibrox , what could be better , daft auld cunts like a wean at Christmas and wants a season ticket back again next to us. Good to have you back in the game old man.

Thats brilliant that your auld man is enjoying it and wanting to go back. Sadly I never got to meet my grandad who was a big Rangers fan and growing up in a different country I never grew up with my dad taking me to see the gers play, I had relatives send out the kits etc but I remember when I was 17 and my dad finally got to take me to my first game at Ibrox and remember how happy he was to take me after all those years and it is a day that will live with me for the rest of my life and we won 3-0! 

Great story mate, glad to see yer auld man has caught the bug again.

Unfortunately for me my 2 Grandas died when I was very young so so never got to go with them.

Both came fae Bridgeton so I'm sure they had a good few story's but it wasn't to be. 

I never went with my Grandad who has sadly passed on. I do know for a fact I sit in the approximate area he and his mates used to stand. Even now I smile thinking about that - that's what the 'it's only a game' lot don't understand. 

46 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Something I never had growing up was a grandad taking me to see Rangers , one was always pissed and the other my auld man barely spoke to, couple of weeks ago I was working so couldn't go to the game and my da said I'll take the lassies , he hadn't been for a few years despite taking me and my brothers home and away throughout our youth. The look on his face when he dropped them back off was brilliant wearing a Davie Cooper t-shirt and Rangers woolly hat, fucking magic he said , don't know why the fuck i stopped going , same situation tomorrow and he's been on the phone twice tonight with the words , taking your grandkids to Ibrox , what could be better , daft auld cunts like a wean at Christmas and wants a season ticket back again next to us. Good to have you back in the game old man.

:541: :21:

6 minutes ago, pcbear said:

How many guys do you reckon that have lapsed  would feel exactly the same as Scottys dad once they visited Ibrox again?  plenty I would think.

I think that lapsed is exactly the right word , he's not really got any explanation why he stopped going , I think when me and my brothers got older and starting going ourselves he just got into a wee rut plus he worked away a lot then just spent any free time with my ma, he's only a few months away from retirement so it will give him a good interest again , still screams and shouts when he's pissed watching old games like it's the first time he's seen them ?

Great story.

I've never had pleasures like that in my life. I've not hard a bad life or anything I don't mean that, I just mean never had that bond with a family member and going to the Rangers games. It was something I got into myself. 

My 2 Grandpa's .. one died years down the line and well before I was born from World War 2 injuries. He only had 1 lung and was actually a Nazi doctor that saved his life in combat. Apparently their oath is to save anyone that needs and he came good for my Grandpa. 

Which is a shame as he was a Rangers fan too. My Mum before she died and my Auntie to this day say I would have been his golden child (or golden grandchild even) and would have spoke to me for hours on end about the Rangers.

My other Grandpa again died but when I was about 3 ... I can only vaguely remember him sitting on a chair in the corner.

I never even had it with my Dad. He was football daft ... played at a decent level at juniors but never really supported a team. He always said he was more of a Dumbarton fan and preferred Rangers if we were playing Celtic but to call him a Rangers fan would have been a stretch. I'm talking in past-tense tone there, he's not dead or anything.

The closest thing I should have had to it would have been my Uncle John. He died in a motorbike crash coming back up from a Rangers friendly in England. Again, before I was born. He was only 20. He would have probably been my best mate if he were alive - again my Mum used to say and my Auntie said.

Fucking hell that's morbid :lol: 

23 minutes ago, pcbear said:

How many guys do you reckon that have lapsed  would feel exactly the same as Scottys dad once they visited Ibrox again?  plenty I would think.

I think it would be the exact same with the supporters scattered all over the world, regardless where they are it's Saturday 3pm at Ibrox is where your thinking about

I'm moving away in January and seriously one of the massive things I'm thinking about is how I'm depriving my boy of me and my old man taking him up to Ibrox every fortnight to watch The Rangers play. 

He'll be a long distance supporter unfortunately but I hope I can still instill in him the same passion I have for our incredible football club

Loved my Grandad.  Third Lanark supporter..and loved going to Ibrox with my Dad and me. He loved lifting me over the turnstiles.  Great memories (tu)

Edit: Said 'Loved' a few times in this post.. Guess that's what remembering him does (tu)

7 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

I'm moving away in January and seriously one of the massive things I'm thinking about is how I'm depriving my boy of me and my old man taking him up to Ibrox every fortnight to watch The Rangers play. 

He'll be a long distance supporter unfortunately but I hope I can still instill in him the same passion I have for our incredible football club

Hopefully not too far mate.  I lived away from home for many years.. came back.. moved away.. now back in London (it becomes 'close enough' when you struggle to get home because of work etc...)  You will find a way (tu)

My Grandpa's 94. He recently took a turn for the worse and ended up in hospital, it didn't look good for a while but he's thankfully pulled through. He never had an issue with memory before, but now he does. Struggling to remember places, names and family. 

Thankfully he was allowed home and I went up to see him the weekend before last. He asked if there was any football on and I told him the Cup Final was on. 

'Who's playing' he said.

'Aberdeen vs celtic' I replied. 

'celtic?!' he responded. 

'We won't be watching that lot'. (tu) 

8 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

You will be fine. I was born and grew up overseas from Scotland to Scottish parents and my dad instilled in me my die-hard passion for Rangers. He would tell me about the old days and the past great players for the gers he used to watch and about my grandad being a huge gers man. My relatives would send out the kits for me and my dad bought me gear online and a full illustrated history of Rangers book. The passion will never fade away my friend. 

My grandparents were from Donegal & moved to Glasgow in the 50's. We would drive through from Livingston to visit them in Pollockshaws most Sundays and he always loved talking about the Rangers. If we'd played the scum on the Saturday & we'd won he couldn't wait to see me. My gran was always doing her nut and shaking her head as she thought he'd have a heart attack listening to the match on the radio, face bright red, jumping out his chair. I would love to have sat with him at Ibrox but somehow never happened.