Lack of a goalscorer

NixonRFC

I was on Twitter earlier and saw this graph of Top Goalscorers for the Season, there is about 15 players in it, worryingly we only have one player in the top 15, Waghorn with 8 goals and more worringly only one of those goals have been in the League, while I'm happy we've got goals coming from all over the pitch I still feel we need to have a guy we can rely on to hit 15+ League goals a season on top of what he can get in the Cups

20161211_091630.jpg

To be honest mate I don't really care about that table 

I only care about the league table and we need to start turning draws into wins

we have been beaten at parkhead,pittodrie and tyncastle and I can safely say that better rangers teams than this one have lost in those places in the same season 

it's the draws that have killed us this season I agree it would be nice to have a striker scoring 20 plus goals this season but I'd rather have the points and I'd take a 1-0 every week with a different scorer each time if it means gaining points

2 minutes ago, bluenose_n1 said:

To be honest mate I don't really care about that table 

I only care about the league table and we need to start turning draws into wins

we have been beaten at parkhead,pittodrie and tyncastle and I can safely say that better rangers teams than this one have lost in those places in the same season 

it's the draws that have killed us this season I agree it would be nice to have a striker scoring 20 plus goals this season but I'd rather have the points and I'd take a 1-0 every week with a different scorer each time if it means gaining points

Well they kind of go hand in hand.

A goal scorer that can get 15-20 league goals would turn draws into wins.

You know what that means? That means those teams have a reliance on those players. If something happens to them it could be a big blow. 

However we have various goal scoring threats from all over the park.

3qQXruG.png

If we lose Waghorn, we still have 15 lads that could still potentially score for us. 

2 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

You know what that means? That means those teams have a reliance on those players. If something happens to them it could be a big blow. 

3qQXruG.png

If we lose Waghorn, we still have 15 lads that could still potentially score for us. 

Look at the tims mate, they have 6 on that list, they don't have a reliance on any one player

Just now, NixonRFC said:

Look at the tims mate, they have 6 on that list, they don't have a reliance on any one player

Celtics a different kettle of fish right now that I don't even think about to be honest. 

They are ahead by a big amount in both player level and league standing. 

I'm more so referring to the players that are tims. 

I see a lot of talk about a 15+/season goalscorer but to be honest, I don't think our style of play really lends itself to that. As has been mentioned, our goals are coming from many different players from many different areas of the park.

Simply put, for me, the reason we don't have 1 out and out goalscorer right now is because of our flexibility up front, its not always the same guy thats in the same position (and also because we've been pretty useless at putting the ball in the net recently).

1 hour ago, RFCRobertson said:

3qQXruG.png

Those league totals are nothing short of embarrasssing considering we are just short of Christmas.

Any successful team needs a prolific striker..

1 hour ago, tina-duncan said:

I see a lot of talk about a 15+/season goalscorer but to be honest, I don't think our style of play really lends itself to that. As has been mentioned, our goals are coming from many different players from many different areas of the park.

Simply put, for me, the reason we don't have 1 out and out goalscorer right now is because of our flexibility up front, its not always the same guy thats in the same position (and also because we've been pretty useless at putting the ball in the net recently).

I disagree with every bit if that mate, you can have a flexible front line and still be prolific

Our 6 top goalscorers have 27 goals between them, same number of goals as Hearts 6 top goalscorers, Aberdeen have 28 between their 6 top goalscorers.

We don't score anywhere near enough goals regardless of the system we play

Most teams that are successful have a striker that scores 15+ a season that's one of the main things missing at Rangers right now for me.

We have tons of strikers but I honestly can't see any of them hitting anything like 15 goals, we don't even have a player right now who is in the top 10 in league scoring charts.

This is something that needs to be looked at big time.

Its understandable there should be discussion about the 'if only' points.   The fact is although goals can come from a variety of positions we are not getting anywhere near enough goals out of the so-called flexible positions of 7,8,10,and 11.   I'm discounting '9' as Warburton has steadfastly not singled out the need for a goal-getting '9'.   Also goals from full backs have fallen away this season.  And not enough from midfield players.

A clear problem remains of how to convert possession and goal scoring opportunities into actual goals scored.    We are not ruthless enough in front of goal.   I think this needs to be fixed soon and most certainly fixed in time for next season if next season is to see a much more convincing challenge for the league title.   Sometime very soon - probably even now - its time for Garner to translate his play into one of scoring more goals.  Ditto Waghorn assuming he stays.  He was trying too hard yesterday but does need the confidence of starting to score to improve his game in this league.   I appreciate Dodoo is learning but would like to see him chip in with more goals when he gets his playing chances.   Miller will doubtless continue to contribute goals but at 36 (it is 36 isn't it?) there must be a limit of how much of the goal scoring weight should be resting in his boots.   

Point is, its time for the gelling of a newly formed squad to move to the stage of combinations of squad strikers doing what they are mainly there to do.......score goals.....more of them......more often.   That will be one of the benchmarks of how well the squad will have performed over the season.  

I think a goal scoring midfielder would be a very good asset for this team. The strikers will get goals; what we are seeing right now is that this team is gaining a lot of confidence. Waghorn showed that he can get into the right areas, Dodoo has goals to his game, and if McKay can be consistent then the goals can come for him and for others. 

7 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I think a goal scoring midfielder would be a very good asset for this team. The strikers will get goals; what we are seeing right now is that this team is gaining a lot of confidence. Waghorn showed that he can get into the right areas, Dodoo has goals to his game, and if McKay can be consistent then the goals can come, 

Ali Crawford has 9 this season.

2 hours ago, Teddybear123 said:

What would people think if we signed the boy moult from Motherwell 

I put his name forward in the suggestions thread last week. I work with a guy who is a season ticket holder at Motherwell and asked him how good the guy is week in week out, not just in the big televised games. He was adamant that if Motherwell lost Moult (moulted yaaaaas) in the January transfer window that it would mean certain relegation for Motherwell. The guy at work watches him every week so it probably tells you how good he is. Certainly played well when I seen him on the telly last week and would probably fit in to our style of play.

Liverpool have been playing with Firmino who is nowhere near prolific but seem to be doing alright down there. 

Like Liverpool, I don't think our system favours an out and out goalscorer. We should be expecting more goals from Holt, Windass etc. however. 

3 minutes ago, Lidl said:

Liverpool have been playing with Firmino who is nowhere near prolific but seem to be doing alright down there. 

Like Liverpool, I don't think our system favours an out and out goalscorer. We should be expecting more goals from Holt, Windass etc. however. 

Your names Lidl, and the avatar :lol:

Fair point though, our system doesn't need look like in this league we can have one of those players which is quite worrying because we should be giving Garner about 3/4 chances per game