Billy Gilmour

TheBlueOne

4 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

No long term thought applied then. We shall see if the player or parents have the same mindset.

The long term comfort of financial security...there's no guarantee he will even make it in the professional game, he'd be silly to turn down a 2/3/4  year contract on 15-20k a week.

Ok there's nothing to suggest he's gonna get into the first team, but even then if he drops down into the championship he will be at a level above us. Also, what guarantee of a great future does staying at Rangers give him? How often recently have we sold players onto the highest level? You seem to think us offering him games in the SPL is some huge incentive. It's a wank league.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RFC Eagle said:

Just looking at Chelseas abysmal track record with their own youth. Josh Mceachran ring any bells? You certainly wouldn't go with the prospect of a career in their first team. A few games here and there possibly. When was the last time a youth player established themselves there?

John Terry im sure is the last. 

10 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Chelsea don't have the same system in place...Conte brought in his own folk and the youth set up got a shake up a few years back.

Their youth team the past few years has won the youth CL..... Several of them moving onto EPL sides and abroad loans.

Fact is players move for money and prestige....we can't compete in either when down south come calling sadly. It's just the way it is

They've been at the top of the EPL Reserve league and there or thereabouts for years. Same with the loanees, tens of them out all over the place. No one answered the question about their last youth product who established themselves.(until the post before this)

The money is far greater of course but at 18/19 he could be a first team regular in front of 50,000 or playing in the stiffs / on loan at some Belgian also rans in front of a handful of people.

If he is that good there are better options in the EPL for his career.

Just now, RFC Eagle said:

They've been at the top of the EPL Reserve league and there or thereabouts for years. Same with the loanees, tens of them out all over the place. No one answered the question about their last yputh product who established themselves.

The money is far greater of course but at 18/19 he could be a first team regular in front of 50,000 or playing in the stiffs / on loan at some Belgian also rans in front of a handful of people.

If he is that good there are better options in the EPL for his career.

How do you know where he'd be loaned to?

Chelsea have players playing in Germany, Spain, Holland, France...pretty much everywhere.

He cpould be playing against the likes of Dortmund or PSG...or Hamilton or Dundee..

See it can be spun like that too

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

How do you know where he'd be loaned to?

Chelsea have players playing in Germany, Spain, Holland, France...pretty much everywhere.

He cpould be playing against the likes of Dortmund or PSG...or Hamilton or Dundee..

See it can be spun like that too

He won't play half his games in front of 50,000 wherever they send him. I don't see Chelsea as his best option at tis stage. 

It will be interesting to see if he does. Surprised its just one team down there after him. Plenty of better set ups there with established paths to the first team.

11 minutes ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

Our previous track record is irrelevant.

We didn't have the same look or approach to youth football previously as we do now nor do we have the same individuals running the youth set up.

I was speaking with Mulholland for a bit last night before the U20 game and am going up to Auchenhowie for an interview with him and Murty in the next week or so so will try get a few questions from posters on here. From the brief chat I had with him last night (added to the recent videos by the club) he makes a very compelling argument for what it is they are trying to do with them. Even things like the trip to Portugal for the 20s this week to play Porto. There's a few younger lads going along with them to play against Porto's U19s. Flying out, training session or two, game against a really good team and then back home and straight into another league game on Tuesday afternoon.

12 minutes ago, pcbear said:

And they nicked him from West Ham,

Exactly, I can understand wanting to play for a club who win one of the best leagues in the world and win the champions league but personally I'd rather be playing first team football and winning leagues and cups whilst actually in the first team. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I was speaking with Mulholland for a bit last night before the U20 game and am going up to Auchenhowie for an interview with him and Murty in the next week or so so will try get a few questions from posters on here. From the brief chat I had with him last night (added to the recent videos by the club) he makes a very compelling argument for what it is they are trying to do with them. Even things like the trip to Portugal for the 20s this week to play Porto. There's a few younger lads going along with them to play against Porto's U19s. Flying out, training session or two, game against a really good team and then back home and straight into another league game on Tuesday afternoon.

Good to hear mate.

I really like what the club are hoping to achieve with the youth system and have been impressed with Mulholland whenever I have read or watched one of his interviews.

Just now, In Dungeons Deep said:

Good to hear mate.

I really like what the club are hoping to achieve with the youth system and have been impressed with Mulholland whenever I have read or watched one of his interviews.

Last night was the first I've really had a chance to speak to him a it more informally so it was quite refreshing to hear him speaking with obvious passion about the work thats being done but doing it more like a punter than an interview (if that makes sense).

38 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They did that last season against Levante and Villarreal and it's not done them any good - it looks good on the surface tho and is a good experience but this is what I mean when I say we over-think things ... we have thrm jetting off to Portugal for glamour but we struggle to beat the Thistle/Aberdeen/St Mirren kids and reserves 

Just now, K.A.I said:

They did that last season against Levante and Villarreal and it's not done them any good - it looks good on the surface tho and is a good experience but this is what I mean when I say we over-think things ... we have thrm jetting off to Portugal for glamour but we struggle to beat the Thistle/Aberdeen/St Mirren kids and reserves 

It's not just the glamour though. There's lot's more to it. Even just flying to Portugal for a bit of training, a game and back in three or four days is physically demanding and it helps them by playing against a higher standard of player and by replicating what is much the same as a European trip for a CL/EL game so that when these boys do make the step up their bodies can handle the demands that little bit better.

Just now, The Dude said:

It's not just the glamour though. There's lot's more to it. Even just flying to Portugal for a bit of training, a game and back in three or four days is physically demanding and it helps them by playing against a higher standard of player and by replicating what is much the same as a European trip for a CL/EL game so that when these boys do make the step up their bodies can handle the demands that little bit better.

I worded it a little shite tbh.. it will do them some good (it's better than training here) it's just not all it's cracked upto be doing that imo 

Just now, K.A.I said:

I worded it a little shite tbh.. it will do them some good (it's better than training here) it's just not all it's cracked upto be doing that imo 

It's not a magic bullet or anything but if they go and take a pumping then they see first-hand what the level is at other clubs. You never get better at only competing against teams at the same level as you, as daft as it sounds. A lot of the boys travelling over will be in the age groups below Porto too so it will be a good learning experience for them

14 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Hasn't there been a £40k a year wage cap introduced in England? I recall Liverpool announcing it. (May just be them)

40K a year for what, youths?

If so its still a lot of money for a kid but not off the scale mental, not a week is it?

Just now, The Dude said:

It's not a magic bullet or anything but if they go and take a pumping then they see first-hand what the level is at other clubs. You never get better at only competing against teams at the same level as you, as daft as it sounds. A lot of the boys travelling over will be in the age groups below Porto too so it will be a good learning experience for them

I agree that you learn more (or should) in a pumping off a good team than you do beating that Hearts side Lee Wallace volunteers with 8-0 it's about learning from it .. whether we do or not we'll that's another debate 

Just now, K.A.I said:

I agree that you learn more (or should) in a pumping off a good team than you do beating that Hearts side Lee Wallace volunteers with 8-0 it's about learning from it .. whether we do or not we'll that's another debate 

Given the changes in the last 12-18 months, and imo the big improvement in overall quality of player in the academy, they have been learning. Off the top of my head, the last group of youngsters we brought through were mainly 19/20/21 (Perry, Crawford, Hegarty etc) with a one or two who were younger. This lot are all 16/17/18/19 and are now the last group before the senior team. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them go out on loans next season, like Hardie & Thompson this season, and the two out this season become part of the first team squad.

33 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I have been to a few Development games now and results are patchy ? but generally we are playing against older teams. One or two young lads are good and have  potential. I am not giving up on Auchenhowie yet

17 minutes ago, Bears&Reds said:

No its purely a Liverpool policy, although Spurs and Southampton are also going to do the same.

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was per week tbh. Some of the EPL kids are on big money.

25 minutes ago, pcbear said:

40K a year for what, youths?

If so its still a lot of money for a kid but not off the scale mental, not a week is it?

http://www.squawka.com/news/liverpool-introduce-wage-cap-on-youth-players-report/797106

Yes, it's per Year.  Liverpool only though...

6 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

I have been to a few Development games now and results are patchy ? but generally we are playing against older teams. One or two young lads are good and have  potential. I am not giving up on Auchenhowie yet

There's games when we've had older players too and it's not made a difference. The way people talk we've 15 year olds against 30 year old pros that's not the case 

10 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Not a bad policy as they are going to get the kids who want to play football for the right reasons, let Chelsea etc all hoover up the money is my God lads.

800 quid a week ain't shabby for a teenager.