Villa Away 1976

eskbankloyal

8 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

Anybody on here at the game and got any stories? 

Was reading few peoples stories from the day on Facebook earlier. Sounded like utter bedlam - still the only support to take the Holte End ?

Far too young for that, but I always heard of the bears taking the holte end. We have always shown up in England and ran it.

We left in a minibus about 3am, stopped to pick up a couple of guys wearing rangers scarves hitching a lift on the m74, as we drove off one fell out the back door tumbling along the road, he had his plaster cast removed from his broken leg the day before, he was sort of ok though.

Got to Birmingham after our van broke down about three times not long before kick off, all the off licences around were just being looted for drink, I don't remember if it was ticket or pay but we all headed for the big covered end, big scraps were breaking out all over the place and the Villa fans legged it the length of the pitch to the other end, 2-0 down and the Celtic/Celtic chant rang out from the other end, big charge over the pitch and into them.

Our van went on fire not far from Birmingham on the way home and had to be ditched so it was every man for themselves, we had fuck all money so it was hitching for us, various cars, lorries etc and midnight on the Sunday I arrived home.

That might be a bit sketchy as I was only young at the time.

"Theres gonnae be another Birmingham" was a chant for years afterwards.

I thought that was what football was all about, my next time in England was Wembley the next year and everyone on the park again. 2-1 Scotland.

Again we went in a van, my mates dad was the driver and really fancied himself as a ladies man, the night before we left he got pissed was sick over a hedge and lost his teeth, so he never looked so handsome on the Wembley weekend, I think we came straight back to Hampden for a cup final replay v Hibs/Well? or that might have been 79.

I was there. We (the majority of the Rangers support) got into the ground early and we were allowed in their traditional end. Never understood why.

Their fans started to congregate outside the ground so were already pissed off before they got into the ground and were sent up the other end. They also had a couple of tricolours to wind us up.

In these days there were bars in English grounds but they were locked up for our visit. A group of guys broke into the bar which was under the terracing down some stairs. The beer was actually in glass bottles which became weapons against the police when they tried to close the bar and arrest those inside.

Meanwhile a game was actually going on but no one was really paying much attention to it. Villa scored and there was a small pitch invasion but didn't come to anything. Villa scored a 2nd and large proportion of gers support went onto the pitch and charged the villa fans at other end. I don't actually remember there being much fighting though. Game was abandoned.

Our bus decided not to stay in Birmingham so we went to Coventry where at least we got into some bars. No real issues out there and bus left at midnight for trip home.

I remember the chant of "there's going to be another Birmingham" being sung anytime there was any friction at a match for years later.

I was at this game. Travelled on a 'football special' train with my brother & a couple of his mates , who were all older than me , I was 16 at the time.  

Our train was stopped somewhere, might have been Warrington or Crewe , can't remember & was raided by police. Loads of bears arrested for throwing bottles from the train & looting the buffet cart if I remember correctly.

The game was abandoned when Villa scored in the second half. 

Villa fans were chanting 'Celtic & I remember seeing an Irish tricolour  being waved by them. 

This sparked a pitch invasion from our fans & later on outside Villa Park it was total carnage. Stabbings , looting , pubs trashed etc. 

My idiot brother & his crazy mate ended up in jail until the Wednesday or something like that. 

Fkn crazy ?

Went down on the Bus, it was not long after the bombings, so it was the first time I experienced an increase in pub security. It was bedlam from start to finish, pubs were shutting up early due to issues between locals and us.

Inside the ground, remember a wooden shed that posed as the refreshments stall getting wrecked for the beer, before the game started. Sure I seen a guy with a samurai sword steamin' into it.

then the charge of the light blue brigade across the park, one of the guys on our bus leading the charge with a sporting chronicle held up high is one of the funniest images that I will take to the grave.

unfortunately it led to a shit night, as the whole city closed down. Ended up sleeping in a lift inside a tower block.

It was a bit of a trip that one.

Got dropped off by our bus and walked by the Holte End expecting to be in the away end, then noticed a massive Union Flag draped over the wall and heard the Billy Boys being belted out, so in we went. Thousands of Bears in there, the Villa fans raging in the away end. I heard later a couple of Bears had paid into the away end and got chased into a corner and stabbed.

The game itself was crap, when Villa scored their second (I think) a guy came on from their end with an Irish tricolour and got chased. Thing turned nasty in the Holte when the bar was broken into and the cops were pelted with the contents. The game was abandoned at that point and we made our way back to the buses, a lot were heading off but we were due to stay in Birmingham until midnight. We were all young and i remember guys from I think a Bridgeton bus pleading with us to go with them to the Apprentice Boys in Liverpool, they were expecting carnage in Brum that night.

We decided to stay, and head into the centre. Handily a corporation bus was stopped by a few dozen Bears and the the driver was "advised" to head straight into the city centre without making any further stops while the Bears had a Sash Bash all the way in. Once in the city centre we found all the pubs either closed or not allowing any Bears in. After wandering around we finally got into a bar in the Midland Hotel, to find it rammed with Bears having a party.

At closing time we had to get back to the bus, we had been told all the remaining buses had been moved from the ground to the central Police HQ, so off we headed, and thought it be a nice gesture to sing "No Surrender To The IRA" on our way to show solidarity with the victims of the recent pub bombings. Turned out it wasn't appreciated,  a police van screeched to a halt in front of us, the back doors were opened and we were just about to be invited to have a seat inside when another group of Bears started singing across the road. The cops then went to deal with them, surely they didn't think we would still be there when they got back....

Anyway we got to the police headquarters, got on the bus and when a head count was taken we  were eight or nine men down, between guys getting lifted or bailing out after the game.

I finally got home about eight o'clock on the Sunday morning, to be greeted by my old man shoving the front page of the Sunday Mail in my face :megaanguish:

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

That woman bored the fuck out of me 

I thought she was great. Good old fashioned battleaxe.  Can always do with one of those in the neighbourhood.

At least she didn't make it out to be big, bad Rangers being worse than everyone else. :rangers: