Gilks away according to Jackson

Smile

8 minutes ago, williamcarvel9 said:

At least the cost of what his wages were for the 6 months he was here

So a guy who was available for free in the summer, has played hardly any football since and joined us to be our back-up keeper is now worth approximately 150k?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BlueThunder said:

I agree with what you are saying re: the media.

Regarding Barrie and Wes, we don't know how much they will go for when they do. It may even be this window. The media certainly won't help us up the transfer fee.

Billy Gilmour is out of our hands. He can't sign a pro contract until he is 16. We obviously want to keep him. It's all down to what the lad and his parents want.

I agree that there's not much we can do about the amount we receive if Gilmour leaves. It's another financial blow though that we could do without just now.

1 minute ago, George Goudie said:

So a guy who was available for free in the summer, has played hardly any football since and joined us to be our back-up keeper is now worth approximately 150k?

IMO yes what we got him for is immaterial. 

Would you say Ibrahimavic isn't worth money because he's old and Man United got him on a free?

1 minute ago, Creampuff said:

Not sure why everyone is assuming that Gilks has asked to leave and we've agreed.

Anyone consider that we're happy at the idea of signing Alnwick at a bargain price, and so - legitimately - came to a mutual agreement to let him leave?

IMO that's just as bad as we have not prioritised properly when signing players with what little cash we have. 

1 hour ago, Gaz52 said:

People are missing the point that Gilks wanted away due to a lack of football. We can either keep paying his wages or let him go as no team is willing to buy him. Then if Wes needs replacing we put the guy in we forced to stay against his will? 

Aye good one

The goalkeeping world is full of decent keepers who get stuck behind another guy & just have to sit it out & wait their turn.

Unless someone made promises to Gilks, the guy knew how the land lay - if he wasn't going to be happy being No 2 & not that much better that he could knock Wes out of the way, he should never have signed.

I really don't know where we're heading - now this is one of the 'successful' summer signings going shit-shaped!

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

That's an even worse scenario to me, if we've went to Gilks and said we're signing a new goalkeeper and you can leave, then we will have had to pay a proportion of his wages as a result. 

Exactly 

only way this deal makes sense is if Wes is getting sold for decent cash 

11 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

IMO that's just as bad as we have not prioritised properly when signing players with what little cash we have. 

I'm not so sure it's a bad financial move though. By all accounts this seems to be a bargain price, so there's no reason we wouldn't profit from it long-term.

2 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Best of luck to him.

Never let us down when required to play..

i think thats one of the issues that people are a little miffed at. In one of his few outings, he was superb against celtic in the 1-0 defeat - and saved us from a pounding - yet the keeper he was up against that day is probably going to chelsea for £3million and Gilks is going for nothing. Both keepers are the same age.

Its always us that never seem to capitalise. I am not expecting £3million for him, but some form of fee surely wouldnt have been out of order?

2 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

i think thats one of the issues that people are a little miffed at. In one of his few outings, he was superb against celtic in the 1-0 defeat - and saved us from a pounding - yet the keeper he was up against that day is probably going to chelsea for £3million and Gilks is going for nothing. Both keepers are the same age.

Its always us that never seem to capitalise. I am not expecting £3million for him, but some form of fee surely wouldnt have been out of order?

I dont disagree with those saying we should have got fee..

Likelihood is that it's a mutual termination of his deal.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Exactly 

only way this deal makes sense is if Wes is getting sold for decent cash 

We have no idea what wages these guys are on. If Gilks was earning £400k a year, and Alnwick was signed for £250k and a wage of £200k a year, then the annual spend on Alnwick would be only be £50k more than Gilks, a far more palatable number. I have no idea if this is the case, but it could be another way to make sense of the deal.

Just now, West_Side said:

We have no idea what wages these guys are on. If Gilks was earning £400k a year, and Alnwick was signed for £250k and a wage of £200k a year, then the annual spend on Alnwick would be only be £50k more than Gilks, a far more palatable number. I have no idea if this is the case, but it could be another way to make sense of the deal.

There's loads of ways you can make cases for the deal if you want mate - im taking it on the basis of how it appears on the surface of things 

29 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

IMO yes what we got him for is immaterial. 

Would you say Ibrahimavic isn't worth money because he's old and Man United got him on a free?

Would I say one of the best strikers in the world is worth money? Yes, of course I would. Hardly a comparable scenario to a 34-year-old back-up goalie.

If we'd paid 150k for Gilks would have been spewing on here.

No doubt he's got a 100k pay off, walked for free into double the wages at Wigan. 

MW comes from the world of city trading, the board are apparently businessmen yet were seeing time and time again players walk out the door for fuck all with more than likely a wee pay off. 

Couldn't give a fuck if it was only 200k he was worth it's fucking stupid. 

It baffles me that, as a club, we still let so many people go for nothing who literally was in to another club the next day for nothing. Scrub that, we no doubt don't let them go for nothing and provide a pay off to them and then they get a signing on fee from the new club. Speculation I know but ffs, can we not even get a small nominal fee?  Our financial situation is never going to improve unless we start getting some money from transfers. 

No one is saying he's another £40m Dumb-bellend :whistle:

Bit strange that we let GIlks go for nothing and pay a fee for a replacement. Don't know much about this new goalkeeper but GIlks had never let us down when called upon.

maybe Warburton is thinking longer term. If a decent bid comes in for fod in the summer then he has a good young replacement.

i just feel we have other position to worry about just now. 

1 hour ago, George Goudie said:

why not, he's still a good keeper, we got lucky last summer that his contract ran out

how much did dembele cost the tarriers again,

15 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

why not, he's still a good keeper, we got lucky last summer that his contract ran out

how much did dembele cost the tarriers again,

No doubt he's a solid keeper. But if we'd just paid 150k or whatever is being suggested by some on here for a 34 year old who was available for free 6 months ago to be our back-up goalie people would be spewing with rage.