John Greig

K.A.I

4 hours ago, danger ranger said:

Nobody can say a bad word about John Greig the Rangers man and footballer, but he was a poor manager. I was a teenager when Greig came into the team, maybe not the best footballer in the world but his effort was unwavering even in defeat, I remember at a cup game against them at Hampden when the Rangers team was very poor and easily beaten that day, against all the odds he scored against them and their fans applauded him, enough said.

I know the game you're talking about, September 1972, my first Old Firm game and the first to have a 12 noon kick off. Because of the kick off time the atmosphere was flat and a bit surreal, I remember feeling a bit let down because my old man had told me for years about how electric it was, before taking me to this one. It was actually their home league game, played at Hampden because they were rebuilding their main stand.

They were 3-0 up and coasting, John Greig scored just before the end, at the time I thought it was sarcastic applause from them but reluctant as I am to praise the tarriers for anything, maybe they did recognise the fact that he carried our team that day and the goal was a reward for his attitude.

56 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Its amazing to think he was such a shit manager, treated with little respect and considerable ridicule, yet a few short decades later is our greatest ever Ranger.

Makes you wonder what the next 20 years will bring in that regard.

Think a shit manager is a bit harsh. He almost won the treble in his first season. In  the European Cup knocked out Juventus who had  9 of the Italian World Cup team and PSV Eindhoven previously unbeaten in 22 years at home in Europe.

You dont even have to go as far back as John Greig, even Walter Smith had the guts to come out an tell the fans when the bank was running the Club even when it could have got him in shit,  but our manager can't even admit when our performances are poor

2 hours ago, Big Al II said:

Its amazing to think he was such a shit manager, treated with little respect and considerable ridicule, yet a few short decades later is our greatest ever Ranger.

No one thinks anyone's a cunt for being a shit manager. It's when they start treating the support like gubbible idiots like McCoist did and Warburtons starting to do that fans start losing respect for them

Sadly, I think that John Greig belongs to another era, definitely mine and perhaps yours but maybe not.  Gave his all for the jersey every time and maybe not the best manager but definitely one who knew the Rangers tradition.  A true measure of the man is how Celtic fans respect him - one I know commented that he's always be the first name on his team sheet.  I don't see that we'll ever have a player playing for only one club in his career ever again.  Perhaps we should even remove the term "club servant" from our vocab these days because the reality of the modern game is that we have freelancers who go to the highest bidder.  Witness Peter Crouch - how many clubs has he played for?   

All these reasons are why we should celebrate John Greig.  I wish I had the opportunity to sit with him for a few years and enjoy his company as one of the posters did.  Still, I wish him well from afar. 

6 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

We don't know exactly what happened or what was said, but hey let's draw conclusions on two different people separated by 50 odd years  . Perhaps Greig would have said 'fuck this, I'm off' if he had been treated in exactly the same way. We don't know. Different times.

Yeah because being told your shite is worse than fan protests wanting you sacked 

2 hours ago, Willis said:

No one thinks anyone's a cunt for being a shit manager. It's when they start treating the support like gubbible idiots like McCoist did and Warburtons starting to do that fans start losing respect for them

Correct ... McDowall and McCall were shite managers but I don't see any hate for them. 

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Yeah because being told your shite is worse than fan protests wanting you sacked 

How many years had Greig been at Rangers at that point?

Besides, fan protest from the terraces is entirely different to coming up to you, face to face, when you are with your partner.

This discussion is kind of pointless. We don't know what was said to Kiernan, how threatened he was, if at all etc. My point was simply we don't know the score here, and comparing him with Greig is like comparing apples to oranges.

Just now, BlueThunder said:

How many years had Greig been at Rangers at that point?

Besides, fan protest from the terraces is entirely different to coming up to you, face to face, when you are with your partner.

This discussion is kind of pointless. We don't know what was said to Kiernan, how threatened he was, if at all etc. My point was simply we don't know the score here, and comparing him with Greig is like comparing apples to oranges.

nah Defo not apples and oranges I definitely see parallels personally it's just a point about character is all.

8 hours ago, Gazza1212 said:

Understand what you're saying entirely but for me the two names don't belong in the same sentence together.

A huge part of what's wrong at our club is there's nobody there to remind the current crop that names such as Greig are exactly what they should aspire to. 

A huge part of what's wrong at the club is lack of ability ,we're not quite ready to accept how far we've fallen or how far we have to go and kai's Greig /Kiernen analogy is an example of that for they don't even belong in the same sentence as you correctly point out.

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

nah Defo not apples and oranges I definitely see parallels personally it's just a point about character is all.

I agree.

Can't believe it's came to this but Kiernan should take a page from Tony Mowbrays book and learn to take it on the chin.

Not condoning the actions of idiot fans but maybe he should wonder what has led to fans being so angry.  If he can't take some abuse from fans then he should chuck football all together as it's something that's likely to follow him thru his career since he's pish

4 hours ago, Big Al II said:

He did actually have some good ideas, he tried to get us playing more football than we had under big Jock. Maybe a case of some players getting old, and some he brought in weren't of the same quality.

7 hours ago, centenarystand said:

Think a shit manager is a bit harsh. He almost won the treble in his first season. In  the European Cup knocked out Juventus who had  9 of the Italian World Cup team and PSV Eindhoven previously unbeaten in 22 years at home in Europe.

I was just about to say the same thing, 2-1 up at the piggery to win the league then the roof caved in, my memory is playing tricks but we're the tims down to 10 men also or did we get a man sent off that changed the game?

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

I was just about to say the same thing, 2-1 up at the piggery to win the league then the roof caved in, my memory is playing tricks but we're the tims down to 10 men also or did we get a man sent off that changed the game?

2-1 up and Johnny Doyle got sent off for them. Colin Jackson own goal and a Murdo Mcleod screamer sealed our fate. My first ever old firm game and I was devastated at the end. 

9 hours ago, ianferguson said:

A huge part of what's wrong at our club is there's nobody there to remind the current crop that names such as Greig are exactly what they should aspire to. 

Aye we're drifting so far away from who we are and what our status should be for many reasons, and it's being allowed to happen with seemingly no remorse or fight from the current incumbents. There are probably a handful of readily identifiable persons on the Rangers payroll that get pass marks.

A change is once again required from top to bottom as there's a real feeling of heads sinking within the club and this is before we even consider the attacks from all and sundry outwith Rangers. 

The fight back to the top is way from over.

17 hours ago, Big Al II said:

An Ally McCoist statue?? 

Just for the record, and for the benefit of younger Rangers fans on here who never seen John Greig play. He was a great player. In an era during the 60's and early 70's when Scotland could call upon players like Dave McKay, Baxter, John White, Billy Bremner, Bobby Murdoch etc etc - John Greig was not only a regular but captain throughout that time amassing 44 caps - there were less internationals played in those days that would be equivalent to 70/80 now. 

You can't have his CV on just effort and commitment alone. His shooting alone is a strength rarely mentioned but he scored way over 100 goals from defence or defensive midfield positions. 

He was a very good footballer, inspirational, totally committed and 100% loyal that's why he is the greatest ever Ranger. And that's why he is and always will be my avatar on here.