John Greig

K.A.I

I was reading the Andy Ritchie article online there about how his winner 30 years ago ultimately cost Greig his job and in the away dressing room could hear the fans chanting Greig must go and the protests against him. 

Now before I go any further I've known a lot of people that have had run ins with him and others that don't have a nice word to say about the man but I think it shows he's a mental strength to accept it like a man and come back to the club and face the fans on a daily basis that were actively protesting to get him out the door and "abusing" him 

that's what makes some folk Rangers greats and separates the John Greig's from the Rob Kiernan's of this world. 

Wanted to make the point outwith the other Kiernan thread as it's got pretty heated in there and thought the point about Greig maybe deserved a thread of its own 

8 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I was reading the Andy Ritchie article online there about how his winner 30 years ago ultimately cost Greig his job and in the away dressing room could hear the fans chanting Greig must go and the protests against him. 

Now before I go any further I've known a lot of people that have had run ins with him and others that don't have a nice word to say about the man but I think it shows he's a mental strength to accept it like a man and come back to the club and face the fans on a daily basis that were actively protesting to get him out the door and "abusing" him 

that's what makes some folk Rangers greats and separates the John Greig's from the Rob Kiernan's of this world. 

Wanted to make the point outwith the other Kiernan thread as it's got pretty heated in there and thought the point about Greig maybe deserved a thread of its own 

Nobody can say a bad word about John Greig the Rangers man and footballer, but he was a poor manager. I was a teenager when Greig came into the team, maybe not the best footballer in the world but his effort was unwavering even in defeat, I remember at a cup game against them at Hampden when the Rangers team was very poor and easily beaten that day, against all the odds he scored against them and their fans applauded him, enough said.

11 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Understand what you're saying entirely but for me the two names don't belong in the same sentence together.

A huge part of what's wrong at our club is there's nobody there to remind the current crop that names such as Greig are exactly what they should aspire to. 

Just now, Gazza1212 said:

Understand what you're saying entirely but for me the two names don't belong in the same sentence together.

A huge part of what's wrong at our club is there's nobody there to remind the current crop that names such as Greig are exactly what they should aspire to. 

That's my point mate and I agree 

3 minutes ago, Gazza1212 said:

That's the captains role IMO and there's no excuses as to why he isn't doing that. He is the person in that squad who should be drilling into them the history of the club and what it means to be part of the best club in the world. I don't see Wallace as the type who would do that. Very professional but never a Rangers captain

30 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Think it's a bit harsh contrasting Greig and Kiernan. One was player, manager and diehard at HIS club. The other is a player who had no allegiance to us before signed and is a short term employee.

I know you're comparing their resilience, but is it even an issue, is there even any substance to the Suns claims Kiernan wants out?

If contrasting, what about players like Miller and Halliday v Brown or I Ferguson.

Players of limited ability who ran through brick walls for the cause, who tolerated nothing less than 100% from every teammate, who stood up to the bheast and let them know it was a war and they were up for it?

Kiernans of the world can come and go. But those who know and get our club are hardly excelling where Greig Brown Ferguson did.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Think it's a bit harsh contrasting Greig and Kiernan. One was player, manager and diehard at HIS club. The other is a player who had no allegiance to us before signed and is a short term employee.

I know you're comparing their resilience, but is it even an issue, is there even any substance to the Suns claims Kiernan wants out?

If contrasting, what about players like Miller and Halliday v Brown or Ferguson.

Players of limited ability who ran through brick walls for the cause, who tolerated nothing less than 100% from every teammate, who stood up to the bheast and let them know it was a war and they were up for it?

Kiernans of the world can come and go. But those who know and get our club are hardly excelling where Greig did.

I'm meaning more the difference in mentalities 

one is a man with character and the other ...

Greig was a Hearts man before he came to us ... same as Jardine.

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

If contrasting, what about players like Miller and Halliday v Brown or Ferguson.

Kiernans of the world can come and go. But those who know and get our club are hardly excelling where Greig did.

Can you imagine some of the newer players in that 9iar dressing room? Ian Ferguson going off his head all the time, john brown being given a brown paper bag before old firm games because he hyperventilated (try telling that lot its just another 3 points). Most of them would have been eaten alive. And their love for the club rubbed off on the foreigners and non Rangers fans as well. The fact is, keirnan should realise that this is the biggest and best club he will ever play for 

33 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Yeah but one was a Rangers man, player and manager. The other is just an average player.

Is there anyone at Rangers now or within recent times that would compare to Greig's mentality. Without a hefty pay packet helping (I'm thinking gardener)?

Times have changed and John Greig's likes will rarely if ever be seen again, it's not just Kiernan it's a societal change.

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Yeah but one was a Rangers man, player and manager. The other is just an average player.

Is there anyone at Rangers now or within recent times that would compare to Greig's mentality. Without a hefty pay packet helping (I'm thinking gardener)?

Times have changed and John Greig's likes will rarely if ever be seen again, it's not just Kiernan it's a societal change.

I know mate - different times and all that but reading the article the parallels between the two situations jumped into my head 

1 minute ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Can you imagine some of the newer players in that 9iar dressing room? Ian Ferguson going off his head all the time, john brown being given a brown paper bag before old firm games because he hyperventilated (try telling that lot its just another 3 points). Most of them would have been eaten alive. And their love for the club rubbed off on the foreigners and non Rangers fans as well. The fact is, keirnan should realise that this is the biggest and best club he will ever play for 

Yeah but he's the outsider.

Who is playing the role of Brown and Ian Ferguson in educating him.

And I agree with you it will be tge club and opportunity of his career, and one he's blowing / blown.

Played golf with John Greig once and spoke for a couple of hours afterwards. 

You will not meet a more passionate Rangers fan in the world and had plenty to say on past and current (at the time) players and managers and not all flattering to say the least. In fact going by some on here he would be a bheast in their eyes  

But one thing that stood out was he knew what game he was involved in and that one day your shit the next your a hero and when your time is up it's up, unlike the so called players these days who spit the dummy if your not kneeling before them as if they are some sort of God and the happy clappers who will not see a harsh word said about a player. 

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Yeah but he's the outsider.

Who is playing the role of Brown and Ian Ferguson in educating him.

And I agree with you it will be tge club and opportunity of his career, and one he's blowing / blown.

Its actually scary how little fight and passion there is in that dressing room. 

4 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

"I was disappointed that we didn’t win the treble every year, I know it’s impossible, but I was really disappointed”.

That sums up John Greig. A winner and a fighter. By all accounts he didn't have it off the pitch but he never gave in.

That's a great quote compare that with 

why should we be ahead of Aberdeen and why should we be second pish that prick was spouting the other day 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

That's a great quote compare that with 

why should we be ahead of Aberdeen and why should we be second pish that prick was spouting the other day 

I'm nowhere near old enough to remember players like them, christ a wasn't even born when we signed Gazza:lol: But when you read some of the quotes  and hear the stories of the dressing room from they times it's sickening to hear what we put up with now. I wish these guys would come out and say their piece more. I imagine Greig wouldn't hold back on getting beat 5-1 at Parkhead or 4-1 at Hearts whilst letting them take the piss out of us for the last 20 minutes. It's high time the majority of our players were given the hairdryer treatment and told exactly what it's like to play for Rangers.

Just like the stories with players actually hitting each other because things weren't going their way on the park etc. There is no fight there and the majority need a Rangers history lesson and that starts with the manager. We all know "where we've came from" but it's where we are now that counts.

Smith, McLeish, Advocaat etc would have laughed at you if you said aye btw Aberdeen are battle hardened in Europe and we have no right being ahead of them. They have been insignificant for the best part of 30 years ffs.

21 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I'm nowhere near old enough to remember players like them, christ a wasn't even born when we signed Gazza:lol: But when you read some of the quotes  and hear the stories of the dressing room from they times it's sickening to hear what we put up with now. I wish these guys would come out and say their piece more. I imagine Greig wouldn't hold back on getting beat 5-1 at Parkhead or 4-1 at Hearts whilst letting them take the piss out of us for the last 20 minutes. It's high time the majority of our players were given the hairdryer treatment and told exactly what it's like to play for Rangers.

Just like the stories with players actually hitting each other because things weren't going their way on the park etc. There is no fight there and the majority need a Rangers history lesson and that starts with the manager. We all know "where we've came from" but it's where we are now that counts.

Smith, McLeish, Advocaat etc would have laughed at you if you said aye btw Aberdeen are battle hardened in Europe and we have no right being ahead of them. They have been insignificant for the best part of 30 years ffs.

Aye, so battle hardened they are pumped out of Europe by nobodies before the schools go back! Fucking awful excuse for anyone to make - not a dig at you my good man, but at those that would stoop so low as to use it.

Depressing thread, because its all true.

54 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Greig was a Hearts man before he came to us ... same as Jardine.

We don't know exactly what happened or what was said, but hey let's draw conclusions on two different people separated by 50 odd years  . Perhaps Greig would have said 'fuck this, I'm off' if he had been treated in exactly the same way. We don't know. Different times.

10 minutes ago, billsim1984 said:

You must have had one hard paper round mate .  :lol:

Ooft:lol: Probably one of the nicest things someone has said to me on here right enough:lol:

Aye, turn 23 next week. Turns out I can't count either cause we signed Gazza in 1995 so I was 1. :headscratch:

It's clear why I left school with maths as a fail.

This is the reason why I refuse to stick a picture in the picture thread:craphead:

4 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Ooft:lol: Probably one of the nicest things someone has said to me on here right enough:lol:

Aye, turn 23 next week. Turns out I can't count either cause we signed Gazza in 1995 so I was 1. :headscratch:

It's clear why I left school with maths as a fail.

This is the reason why I refuse to stick a picture in the picture thread:craphead:

:lol: was just messing mate. I'll no be posting any pictures either, it's no Halloween for months 

1 hour ago, danger ranger said:

Nobody can say a bad word about John Greig the Rangers man and footballer, but he was a poor manager. I was a teenager when Greig came into the team, maybe not the best footballer in the world but his effort was unwavering even in defeat, I remember at a cup game against them at Hampden when the Rangers team was very poor and easily beaten that day, against all the odds he scored against them and their fans applauded him, enough said.

It was a league game at Hampden which they used when the main stand at Celtic Park was being rebuilt.

Lost 3-1.

He was a loyal club servant who gave his all as a player. As a manager he retained the old guard when they were past their best and produced some of the most negative displays i have ever seen. Away games at Morton & St Mirren were treated in a similar fashion to away games in Europe (Which he was better suited to).

I was there home and away every week in Greig's reign i was even at that Partick Thistle game in 79. What Kiernan experienced was nothing compared to what Greig was going through. I think after it he came out in the papers and said his family and kids were getting the abuse as well. He told of the strain he was under and how it was affecting his health. 

I think the papers are running the usual "any anti Rangers story" will do regarding Kiernan but to be honest a few cat calls from supporters who have'nt forgotten his cup final performance amongst other blunders is nothing compared to having crowds gather at the front door of Ibrox.

Maybe like his defending he should man up.