What are our chances of finishing second?

CottonRunt

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's there  to be taken. Plenty of opportunity for this squad to show us and any new manager just what they are made of. Time for these guys to get their sleeves rolled up, and get cracking. They are not going to easily find employment elsewhere on the pay levels they get with us. Classic use it or lose it.

2nd and 3rd are two shades of the same shite. Both get into the Europa league. Yes, there's a prize money differential and yes, anything less than 1st is unacceptable for our great club but finishing 3rd instead of 2nd is not Armageddon.

9 hours ago, simplythebest said:

Nobody needs to be ashamed of buying something from the shop it's entirely a personal choice 

Thankfully most people are like minded and were also only window shopping ,very sad though to see so much merchandise gathering dust and practically no one buying anything in a shop that would have had trouble keeping the queues down back in the days before the fat controller. 

7 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Thankfully most people are like minded and were also only window shopping ,very sad though to see so much merchandise gathering dust and practically no one buying anything in a shop that would have had trouble keeping the queues down back in the days before the fat controller. 

For nearly 2 years now fans have bought less and less yet Ashley and sports direct are still there.  I've actually came to the conclusion that it must better for fans to buy and although the club don't get 100% they will get more than at present time.

sports direct and mike Ashley are a convenient bogeyman for king, folks buying merchandise isn't hurting anyone.

12 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

For nearly 2 years now fans have bought less and less yet Ashley and sports direct are still there.  I've actually came to the conclusion that it must better for fans to buy and although the club don't get 100% they will get more than at present time.

sports direct and mike Ashley are a convenient bogeyman for king, folks buying merchandise isn't hurting anyone.

Judging by the empty tills you thankfully have a minority view, actions speak louder than words and regardless of personal opinion it seems the fans are backing King on this one.

1 hour ago, ianferguson said:

Judging by the empty tills you thankfully have a minority view, actions speak louder than words and regardless of personal opinion it seems the fans are backing King on this one.

The tills maybe a lot less full but ask yourself why they haven't pulled out the deal? Why hasn't MA sold his percentage?  A measly 9% he owns and has no say. He doesn't need the hassle of front page headlines or courtroom fights.

Backing king isn't backing Rangers is it?  Think about it for a second, the club need money so buying merchandise get us that- it may not be as much as we'd like but it's still money that Rangers need.

3 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

The tills maybe a lot less full but ask yourself why they haven't pulled out the deal? Why hasn't MA sold his percentage?  A measly 9% he owns and has no say. He doesn't need the hassle of front page headlines or courtroom fights.

Backing king isn't backing Rangers is it?  Think about it for a second, the club need money so buying merchandise get us that- it may not be as much as we'd like but it's still money that Rangers need.

Ashley won't pull out as he doesn't have too and it puts King in his place. Said this countless times before, King should have shut the fuck up before, during and after the takeover and then requested a meeting or engagement with the fat man. Instead he gave it all that shite in the press and Ashleys clearly just though "fuck ye" and left his wedge in the club until the retail deals finished. It's no hassle for him so why would he leave now?

31 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Ashley won't pull out as he doesn't have too and it puts King in his place. Said this countless times before, King should have shut the fuck up before, during and after the takeover and then requested a meeting or engagement with the fat man. Instead he gave it all that shite in the press and Ashleys clearly just though "fuck ye" and left his wedge in the club until the retail deals finished. It's no hassle for him so why would he leave now?

Exactly this...

Ashley isn't there anymore from a business standpoint, he can't be making anywhere near as much as he thought he would have. It's more a point of principle from the stubborn prick, King rubbed him up the wrong way and he's just left us to deal with the problem.

11 hours ago, Beaujolais said:

It's there  to be taken. Plenty of opportunity for this squad to show us and any new manager just what they are made of. Time for these guys to get their sleeves rolled up, and get cracking. They are not going to easily find employment elsewhere on the pay levels they get with us. Classic use it or lose it.

I agree. I think playing 4-3-3 has caused a lot of the problem. I hope Murty finds a formation that suits.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Do you think Ashley would pull out if DK would step a side for a new CEO e.g Park?

3 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

It madness dreamed up by the Profiteers and King and gives him an out for not investing, it's funny but if you buy from the club shop some money goes to Rangers buy sos shite and Lion Brand shite and no money goes to Rangers.

54 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Do you think Ashley would pull out if DK would step a side for a new CEO e.g Park?

Hmmm, maybe not pull out - his business is sports retail so the deal makes sense from his perspective but he might be more amicable to changing the deal to be beneficial to us for an extension to sports direct running the retail deal with a new contract beyond the original 7 years. Long term it makes more business sense for him.

9 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

this exactly, Deny, Deflect and Defend seems to be the boards motto.

Defend themselves that is as they damn sure don't do much of that for the club.

This squad is beyond more than capable of finishing second, but they're clearly struggling with the weight of expectation associated with the jersey and although I agree that his departure was the best in the long-term, a Warburton-less end to the season increases the challenge of finishing second.

We're by no means rattled, but our season has been disrupted and I have never, ever been a fan of caretakers managers. I have nothing against Graeme Murty; he lead us to a good, responsive win on Sunday, but it's a short-term fix and I'm disappointed that he'll be in charge again this weekend.

To finish second, I believe McLeish is the best solution. For three months, he'll do a job, in my opinion, with said job being securing second. I detest the fact that his last act as a Rangers manager was to finish third behind Celtic & Hearts, but he carries a presence that Warburton didn't and I'm confident that would light a fire under the squad's arse between now and May. He knows what it means to be a Ranger, after all.

EDIT I should add that McLeish would be an interim option, taking over like McCall did until the end of the season.

16 hours ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Southamptonhave had 3 or 4 excellent managers recently.

And not big money men either - until recently with Koeman.

Considering that, good way to go.

Do we want decent managers to come and go or do we want a decent long-term manager? To my mind, a DoF causes more friction and problems and is therefore just a waste of a wage.

10 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

This squad is beyond more than capable of finishing second, but they're clearly struggling with the weight of expectation associated with the jersey and although I agree that his departure was the best in the long-term, a Warburton-less end to the season increases the challenge of finishing second.

We're by no means rattled, but our season has been disrupted and I have never, ever been a fan of caretakers managers. I have nothing against Graeme Murty; he lead us to a good, responsive win on Sunday, but it's a short-term fix and I'm disappointed that he'll be in charge again this weekend.

To finish second, I believe McLeish is the best solution. For three months, he'll do a job, in my opinion, with said job being securing second. I detest the fact that his last act as a Rangers manager was to finish third behind Celtic & Hearts, but he carries a presence that Warburton didn't and I'm confident that would light a fire under the squad's arse between now and May. He knows what it means to be a Ranger, after all.

EDIT I should add that McLeish would be an interim option, taking over like McCall did until the end of the season.

Give it to McLeish till the end of the season...if he finishes 2nd, the performances improve and we have a decent cup run (possibly win it) then you'll have a very hard job of convincing Dave King and some of the fans that he's not the man to take us forward. 

He'll want less of a wage than most i'm guessing, won't require compensation and by the end of the season will have been in the job a few months and be getting comfortable.

Worried if we bring him in interim he'll end up the full time boss.

Just now, Lance1697 said:

Give it to McLeish till the end of the season...if he finishes 2nd, the performances improve and we have a decent cup run (possibly win it) then you'll have a very hard job of convincing Dave King and some of the fans that he's not the man to take us forward. 

He'll want less of a wage than most i'm guessing, won't require compensation and by the end of the season will have been in the job a few months and be getting comfortable.

Worried if we bring him in interim he'll end up the full time boss.

If performances improve, we finish second and we have a good run in the cup, then he should be given the opportunity to apply for the job on a full-time basis.

The same applied to McCall back in 2015, but regardless of a poor Motherwell side demolishing us across two legs, we were abysmal under him; our form was poor, we struggled, we lost three-nil at Queen of the South, ended up finishing third, etc.

If we get McLeish in, no matter how well he's doing, a headhunt should be going on in the background to draw-up a shortlist of potentially suitable candidates. McLeish, if he's here, needs to earn the right to be a part of that.

Just now, WeirFleckNRothen said:

If performances improve, we finish second and we have a good run in the cup, then he should be given the opportunity to apply for the job on a full-time basis.

The same applied to McCall back in 2015, but regardless of a poor Motherwell side demolishing us across two legs, we were abysmal under him; our form was poor, we struggled, we lost three-nil at Queen of the South, ended up finishing third, etc.

If we get McLeish in, no matter how well he's doing, a headhunt should be going on in the background to draw-up a shortlist of potentially suitable candidates. McLeish, if he's here, needs to earn the right to be a part of that.

Aye fair point.

Be happy with him coming in, if he does a good job and does everything we expect of him then by all means he deserves to apply for the job alongside others.

Just wouldn't want him to be given it at the end of the season without applying, with him in we'll waste these months comfortable with an interim manager then it's a scramble in the summer getting a list of possible managers together to bring in, eventually deciding to stick with him....can just see it all unfolding like that

I'd take Murty till the summer and focus on a full time replacement personally but see how it all goes

42 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

I don't think the squad is good enough to finish second. I'd take a few hearts n Aberdeen players and even Ali Crawford before a few of our own players.  Too much money was spent on potential rather than players good enough. 2nd biggest wage budget but 3rd4th best squad

35 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

I don't think the squad is good enough to finish second. I'd take a few hearts n Aberdeen players and even Ali Crawford before a few of our own players.  Too much money was spent on potential rather than players good enough. 2nd biggest wage budget but 3rd4th best squad

I don't know if I agree with that, to be honest.

Like I said, I think our squad, a few players in particular, are struggling with the weight of expectation at a club this size, but I'm in no doubt that we've got the second most able squad in Scottish football. They might be out of form, but players like Garner, Waghorn and McKay, in my opinion, would walk into any other club in Scotland and instantly become one of their top players, except Celtic. They would probably flourish under the pressureless environment.

What the solution is, I'm not sure. We clearly need to strengthen, but equally, certain players need to step-up. I have no doubt that Waghorn is a good player, for example, as is Garner, but perhaps they need a McLeish (temporarily, at least), telling them to "get a fucking grip" and "play for the fucking jersey" rather than Warburton asking if they mind "respcting the ball" and keeping an eye on their "pitch geography".

I tend to think McLeish is the most viable option, rather than a preferred option.

For a Club that has had a history of minimal management changes- it is noteworthy that a quarter of our Managers over the last 118 years  have been employed with the last the last 3 year period- this needs to stop- we need consistency. 

3 hours ago, Smile said:

It madness dreamed up by the Profiteers and King and gives him an out for not investing, it's funny but if you buy from the club shop some money goes to Rangers buy sos shite and Lion Brand shite and no money goes to Rangers.

I wonder where they buy their Shirts from?

7 minutes ago, Beaujolais said:

I tend to think McLeish is the most viable option, rather than a preferred option.

For a Club that has had a history of minimal management changes- it is noteworthy that a quarter of our Managers over the last 118 years  have been employed with the last the last 3 year period- this needs to stop- we need consistency. 

For me eck as much as I like him gives us more questions than answers.. he is no use in our situation. No wages to sign a prso, hemdani or a buffel, no transfer budget to sign a fergie and not exactly inheriting any arveladzes,McCann or deboers.

every transfer would need to be bang on the money and whilst I know that's difficult eck would have no chance with his buying record