Davie Robertson Article

saintbob1969

https://rangers.co.uk/news/features/big-interview-david-robertson/

Funny I was just thinking about this player and some good memories I had of him, and up pops this article. Just putting up the link in case anyone else has fond memories of Davie galloping along with the ball at his feet.

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

My best ever full back watching Rangers in from 70s .

Very decent player for us . One of the few players ,I can honestly say ,not many people got past .

Gave us 6 wonderful seasons as a CHAMPION  when Champions meant something

Exactly how I remember it, came in as Souness was leaving. Big powerful lad with a bit of speed and skill. Enjoyed watching him in a team with some quality players but,  as he says, there were no prima donna stars in that team. 

14 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Very decent player for us . One of the few players ,I can honestly say ,not many people got past .

What about Sandy Jardine? ?

2 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

There are so many in this current climate that do not understand that...

3 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Jardine by a mile and Numan both different class from Robertson who had 3 Scotland caps to Jardines 38 and Numan 45 for Holland. Robertson was decent and athletic but was rash and not the cleverest, Laudrup also helped him big time. Apologies if you meant favourite, but definitely not the best.

47 minutes ago, blueballss said:

skip to 1.05 to see a legit goal we never got from Davie, bit of delight on his face, great, underestimated player

Maybe I was too young to understand or remember but I'm pretty sure in my house everyone was confused as fuck regarding that goal, the scoreline didn't change for ages and nobody knew it wasn't given??!

hard to remember 

30 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Jardine by a mile and Numan both different class from Robertson who had 3 Scotland caps to Jardines 38 and Numan 45 for Holland. Robertson was decent and athletic but was rash and not the cleverest, Laudrup also helped him big time. Apologies if you meant favourite, but definitely not the best.

He didnt get caps because he wouldnt take being treated like a schoolkid by Brown and his predecessor, not because of his ability and he wasnt the only one.

14 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

Maybe I was too young to understand or remember but I'm pretty sure in my house everyone was confused as fuck regarding that goal, the scoreline didn't change for ages and nobody knew it wasn't given??!

hard to remember 

I remember the exact same. I'm certain the score at the top of the screen didn't change. I think it might have been around same period that Cadete had one chopped of at ibrox. Not sure if perhaps it was to "even that out".

2 minutes ago, gsa said:

I remember the exact same. I'm certain the score at the top of the screen didn't change. I think it might have been around same period that Cadete had one chopped of at ibrox. Not sure if perhaps it was to "even that out".

Aye 1 minute it was 1-1 and then all of a sudden it was back to 1-0, there was no coverage of the decision, no announcement it was called off etc etc

I just mind it going back to 1-0 and my da going fucking mental :lol:

Only 3 Scotland caps, but then he did fall out with Roxburgh/Brown and never got called up despite being one of the best LB's about.

For a couple of seasons in the mid 90s, Robertson was could genuinely be spoken of as a top class player. A player who has became largely under appreciated with the fog of time.

1 hour ago, ianferguson said:

His distribution button as absolutely shocking

Great player for Rangers.  

“At Aberdeen if we lost in a cup final it was maybe accepted, but at Rangers second place was no use to them.”

some people on this forum could do with remembering a quote like that. 

2 hours ago, piperpete said:

He didnt get caps because he wouldnt take being treated like a schoolkid by Brown and his predecessor, not because of his ability and he wasnt the only one.

I remember a story at the time,Robertson got called up for Scotland, but he had a big holiday with his family all booked up. He asked if he was first choice, or if he would just be sitting on the bench. He was told that he wouldn't be 1st choice, so he decided to go on the family holiday instead. He stated afterwards that if he was going to get decent game time, he would've went with Scotland, which is alright with me.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

Great player for Rangers.  

“At Aberdeen if we lost in a cup final it was maybe accepted, but at Rangers second place was no use to them.”

some people on this forum could do with remembering a quote like that. 

We only get to first by being the best, and moaning like fuck about being 2nd until we are the best

The minute we think it's ok to be 3 points behind Aberdeen and 20 goals worse off heading into March is the day our enemies have won

Not this fucking day GOAT brother, not this fucking day