Barry Ferguson Column

LiviGer

6 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Would love barry in as assistant.

He would definitely get a bit of fight into the squad, much needed as well.

Genuine question

If he couldn't get Clyde players up for it, why do you think he would be able to at Ibrox ?

Looking into the past

Jock Wallace proved he could at Berwick Rangers and he was a man who could motivate through his words.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

Genuine question

If he couldn't get Clyde players up for it, why do you think he would be able to at Ibrox ?

Looking into the past

Jock Wallace proved he could at Berwick Rangers and he was a man who could motivate through his words.

I honestly think ferguson just bring there would help. He has a winning mentality.

Joking aside as our players are far from perfect but it's a much higher calibre than Clyde.

More capable players can take on information, ideas, ethos better.

Just now, The Godfather said:

McCoist couldn't as manager but did as assistant. 

It's not as clear cut as you put it down.

Differences

- The manager (Walter Smith) had worked with AMcC and chose him.

- AMcC had experience of being a number 2 (not too mention that being with WS)

- AMcC has a personality that I can see working as a Number 2 and at Rangers, probably dovetailed fairly well with WS.

The above doesn't apply to BF (in relation to the incoming boss). Moreover, BF has questioned his appointment.

Just now, buster. said:

Differences

- The manager (Walter Smith) had worked with AMcC and chose him.

- AMcC had experience of being a number 2 (not too mention that being with WS)

- AMcC has a personality that I can see working as a Number 2 and at Rangers, probably dovetailed fairly well with WS.

The above doesn't apply to BF (in relation to the incoming boss). Moreover, BF has questioned his appointment.

Still you cannot just say he wasn't a great manager so won't be a great assistant or coach as it's clearly not that clear cut. 

How do you know he wouldn't be a good assistant? 

It's guess work either way. 

48 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

My point is just because someone is a bad manager doesn't necessarily mean they cant be a good assistant.

Look at McCoist for example, 3 league titles, various cups and a European final as an assistant but an absolute bombscare as a manager.

I personally wouldn't be against Ferguson coming in as I think people like him who understand what's required at Rangers are seriously lacking at our club just now.

Mccoist was a disaster as an assistant, walter bailed him out more times than RBS have been and he learned nothing

6 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Still you cannot just say he wasn't a great manager so won't be a great assistant or coach as it's clearly not that clear cut. 

I find it hard to determine if an assistant is good or not.was mccoist a great assistant or made to look good by manager?

Same as a shite manager no gettin results.hardly going to make the assistant good

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

Quite apart from hypothetical ability as a good assistant, there are other aspects of any due diligence on Ferguson that have at least two red flags flying (referred to earlier in thread).

Wouldn't you agree that it might be a good idea that Ferguson was to prove himself as a coach/assistant somewhere else before he were to be considered by Rangers ?

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Quite apart from hypothetical ability as a good assistant, there are other aspects of any due diligence on Ferguson that have at least two red flags flying (referred to earlier in thread).

Wouldn't you agree that it might be a good idea that Ferguson was to prove himself as a coach/assistant somewhere else before he were to be considered by Rangers ?

Ideally I'd want that for Pedro too as he has done very little in my eyes to warrant this job.

We are where we are though. 

If it was Ferguson I'd not be fussed, He's done his badges and has got some experience under his belt. At the end of the day who are the other candidates? It's hardly like we have a shortlist of world class coaches or assistants choking to come in. 

Anyone coming in should be Perdro's choice regardless IMO. 

10 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Ideally I'd want that for Pedro too as he has done very little in my eyes to warrant this job.

We are where we are though. 

If it was Ferguson I'd not be fussed, He's done his badges and has got some experience under his belt. At the end of the day who are the other candidates? It's hardly like we have a shortlist of world class coaches or assistants choking to come in. 

Anyone coming in should be Perdro's choice regardless IMO. 

There is a curious Scottish trait within football circles to be sceptical/hostile to change(s) that veer from the usual and well entrenched habits in our game.

Most of then belong to a past age and that is refelected by results.

Listening to Ferguson, he represents the past which is all well and good but IMO not as a Rangers coach in 2017. 

--------------

Agree that it should be Pedro's choice.

I'd be happy with Ferguson or Miller. Two lads who are serious about the game and love the club. An assistant doesn't have to be a football genius as the job is to do what the boss says. It helps to have an opinion and to be able to take training and these two won't be found wanting in either or desire and commitment. If one of them is the foil between players and gaffer then I can only see the players having the utmost respect for the manager given the boundaries and calibre of even the assistant. It would be a serious management team. 

I think Miller is the more astute but the players know him as a peer so I'd go for Ferguson as his authority will not be questioned if things get heated.

I'm getting quite happy thinking about this as it would sort out my doubts over having a foreign manager with no knowledge of our league and no money to blow the competition away with. Here's hoping the board come up with something along these lines.

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

why are some of our best players absolute fuds in the media etc? I bet guys like Laudrup and Albertz and Gio could get paid to pen this shite but they wouldn't dare 

Let's face it, if we were looking at him with neutral eyes, Barry was always a fud. Our ex players who are fuds are fuds in the media too. The ones who aren't fuds aren't fuds in the media.

13 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Let's face it, if we were looking at him with neutral eyes, Barry was always a fud. Our ex players who are fuds are fuds in the media too. The ones who aren't fuds aren't fuds in the media.

Suppose if they weren't a fud the Scottish media wouldn't have the desire to print their views 

Just now, K.A.I said:

Suppose if they weren't a fud the Scottish media wouldn't have the desire to print their views 

Exactly. A smart, polite, respectable Rangers player who knows how to conduct himself, has no hunger for publicity and has no interest in writing bullshit? Who in Scotland, except us, what want to hear from such a person?

He's bringing three coaches with him and one person the board want to help with his transition to Scottish football, Barry Ferguson has done it all at Rangers i would not have a problem with that.

After all any decisions will ultimately rest with the Manager who will rise or fall on them, will be more a guy with a good knowledge of our game.

13 minutes ago, DP FC said:

Why would any manager agree to have Ferguson behind him after the PLG incident.

You wouldn't be able to concentrate on the job for the fear of being knifed in the back.

Unless a manager actually had a similar outlook on the game as Ferguson, he'd have to be loco to have him involved. You had Ferguson on Radio Scotland last night supplying them with the negative vibes before Pedro had even arrived (or without really knowing of him). 

'His' last two DR columns have read like a pseudo application for a position at Ibrox, now or in the future.

I'd suggest he got back into football and prove himself as a coach instead of providing the Record and  BBC Scotland with negative vibes on our new manager. Tbf, last night he said he was looking for a job.....is there a queue forming ...or does he sound like a footballing dinosaur with a poor track record since he retired from playing ?

29 minutes ago, Smile said:

He's bringing three coaches with him and one person the board want to help with his transition to Scottish football, Barry Ferguson has done it all at Rangers i would not have a problem with that.

After all any decisions will ultimately rest with the Manager who will rise or fall on them, will be more a guy with a good knowledge of our game.

I read that. Bringing a goal keeper coach too. Wonder if that means there's no job for Jim Stewart?

Just now, LiviGer said:

I read that. Bringing a goal keeper coach too. Wonder if that means there's no job for Jim Stewart?

He's been there forever and is regarded highly in the game will have no problem finding work, I guess a Manager gets in the people he trusts.

9 minutes ago, LiviGer said:

I remember Jim signing as a player from Kilmarnock. I'd always wanted us to sign him.

But hey, no room for sentiment.

You have to give the manager authority or he might struggle to achieve it in the dressing room.

edit

just looked wiki up and Jim was 63 yesterday, so he's had a decent career and I think is still with Scotland. Apparently he signed for us from Middlesborough, can only remember his time with Kilmarnock !!

4 minutes ago, Smile said:

He's been there forever and is regarded highly in the game will have no problem finding work, I guess a Manager gets in the people he trusts.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

I remember Jim signing as a player from Kilmarnock. I'd always wanted us to sign him.

But hey, no room for sentiment.

You have to give the manager authority or he might struggle to achieve it in the dressing room.

Agreed. Can understand Pedro coming here and wanting to bring his own guys in. Would be a shame for Jim Stewart to leave but like you said no room for sentiment. 

4 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

I'd be fine with Barry getting the assistant job in all honesty. 

I'd be entirely against him continuing on as manager from that point though, but as nothing more than an assistant I could deal with it.

Same here actually. Ok his managerial record isn't the best but Pedro could do with an assistant who knows the club inside out and ones what's expected. BF wouldn't stand for the spineless gutless white we've seen from certain players this season...

2 hours ago, buster. said:

Shouting only goes so far and is having increasingly less effect in the modern game.

You need to be able to back it up on the training pitch.

There is a balance to be had and bottomline, the new manager should be able to pick or have a significant input into who joins him on the bench. 

Having watched an interview with Pedro, I don't think he'll be a shrinking violet himself and his English is excellent. 

It's ironic seeing so many being in part wooed by a column in the Daily Record.

Motivation is what's needed in these games.. whoever wants it more will win as has always been the case.