First Two Signings Surpass all of the Magic Hats

19 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

There is nothing to suggest they're better signings than Warburton.  Some folk were spunking their drawers over Ally and Warburtons signings. 

Out support have short fuckin memories. Why do folk insist on jumping the gun with every new manager?

He has my support but let's very realistic here,  his signings give me hope but I won't be shouting from the rafters till he's proven himself or failed to do so

I think given the fact that Pena,Dorrens,Herrera and Alves are all full international players its safe to say they will probably be better than some of the league one dross MW signed.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/06/2017 at 5:46 AM, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Thats a hard one to take. Playing a centre half up front as striker against Beckenbauer because Mr Symon threw a wobbly because of Berwick Rangers. Still cannot believe he did that.

Actually Wullie (and Bobby Hume) It wasn't Scot Symon who threw a wobbly over the Berwick debacle; it was John Lawrence that gave the order that Jim Forrest and big Dandy McLean would never play for Rangers again and he ordered Scot Symon to get rid of them immediately, which he did because they were gone within 2 weeks of the game. Not only that, the obvious replacement was Alex Willoughby, but to the consternation of almost everybody Willoughby was overlooked in favour of Roger Hynd; again on the insistence of John Lawrence.

Why was Hynd selected in front of Willougby? Well! that's another story entirely. :pipe:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Actually Wullie (and Bobby Hume) It wasn't Scot Symon who threw a wobbly over the Berwick debacle; it was John Lawrence that gave the order that Jim Forrest and big Dandy McLean would never play for Rangers again and he ordered Scot Symon to get rid of them immediately, which he did because they were gone within 2 weeks of the game. Not only that, the obvious replacement was Alex Willoughby, but to the consternation of almost everybody Willoughby was overlooked in favour of Roger Hynd; again on the insistence of John Lawrence.

Why was Hynd selected in front of Willougby? Well! that's another story entirely. :pipe:

Hide contents

Didn't know that at all. Think like most supporters I always thought it was Mr Symon who wielded the axe. So tell us, why was big Roger picked in front of Alex??

Two good signings so far, and with Pena and Dorrans to follow I would say one with a good pedigree but know little about and the other I believe to be the best of the signings so far. 

Still alot of work to be done. Another CB, a quality striker or two (not the ones mentioned), at least one quality winger and we will have the basis of a decent side. 

Not anywhere near challenging but a good team who should comfortably finish 2nd and hopefully at least close some of the gap to Celtic. 

8 hours ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Didn't know that at all. Think like most supporters I always thought it was Mr Symon who wielded the axe. So tell us, why was big Roger picked in front of Alex??

There were two reasons for it,Wullie; The first and allegedly main reason was (as told to me by an ex- Rangers player) in later years, was that Alex Willoughby being the cousin of Jim Forrest had grumbled at the treatment Forrest received after the Berwick debacle and got on the wrong side of Lawrence. The second reason was that due to a fluke in a reserve fixture against Dundee at Ibrox the Saturday before our 2nd leg ECWC Semi-final against Slavia Sofia, big Roger was pitched in as an emergency Centre Forward and scored 4 goals ; what made it more of a fluke was that Roger had only played ONE GAME as a substute all season in defence, whereas Alex Willoughby had scored something like 20 goals in 15 games leading up to our Semi-final.

So on the weird logic that Hynd scoring 4 goals against Dundee reserves was a better choice than Willoughby in a European Semi-Final,he played in our 1-0 victory where Willie Henderson scored. The following Saturday Hynd scored in our 2-2 draw against the scum at Ibrox so retained his place for the big final against Bayern on the last day of May 1967, which again I would say was on the insistence of John Lawrence.

Now all these events suggest (to me anyway) that John Lawrence was interfering in the team selection and I think it was proven beyond doubt when Scot Symon was brutally sacked by Lawrence on the first day of November that year after turning down a request to make him "General Manager" and hand over team duties to a younger manager (Symon was 58 yrs old). What made his sacking more disgusting was that he was told he was sacked by a club accountant as the board didn't have the guts or the decency to tell him to his face. This act of bastardry by Lawrence possibly had far reaching consequences because at the time of his sacking we were undefeated at the top of the League but ended up losing it to the scum by 2 points and the filth were on their way to 9IAR.

8 hours ago, Ozblue said:

There were two reasons for it,Wullie; The first and allegedly main reason was (as told to me by an ex- Rangers player) in later years, was that Alex Willoughby being the cousin of Jim Forrest had grumbled at the treatment Forrest received after the Berwick debacle and got on the wrong side of Lawrence. The second reason was that due to a fluke in a reserve fixture against Dundee at Ibrox the Saturday before our 2nd leg ECWC Semi-final against Slavia Sofia, big Roger was pitched in as an emergency Centre Forward and scored 4 goals ; what made it more of a fluke was that Roger had only played ONE GAME as a substute all season in defence, whereas Alex Willoughby had scored something like 20 goals in 15 games leading up to our Semi-final.

So on the weird logic that Hynd scoring 4 goals against Dundee reserves was a better choice than Willoughby in a European Semi-Final,he played in our 1-0 victory where Willie Henderson scored. The following Saturday Hynd scored in our 2-2 draw against the scum at Ibrox so retained his place for the big final against Bayern on the last day of May 1967, which again I would say was on the insistence of John Lawrence.

Now all these events suggest (to me anyway) that John Lawrence was interfering in the team selection and I think it was proven beyond doubt when Scot Symon was brutally sacked by Lawrence on the first day of November that year after turning down a request to make him "General Manager" and hand over team duties to a younger manager (Symon was 58 yrs old). What made his sacking more disgusting was that he was told he was sacked by a club accountant as the board didn't have the guts or the decency to tell him to his face. This act of bastardry by Lawrence possibly had far reaching consequences because at the time of his sacking we were undefeated at the top of the League but ended up losing it to the scum by 2 points and the filth were on their way to 9IAR.

You've always been a wealth of information. Not seen you on for a while, welcome back ?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

You've always been a wealth of information. Not seen you on for a while, welcome back ?

Thanks JD :cheers: I've had some health problems on and off recently plus the fact I stayed away from RM over the period of our disgraceful gutless performances against the scum, the sheepies and Hearts; as my blood pressure was at boiling point as it was without coming on here and making it worse.

Staying awake all night to watch a Rangers team with no pride, no passion and no idea wore me down to the end of my tether, but it's hard to walk away from something that's been a big part of my life since I first went to Ibrox circa 1953.

Good to see you're still dangerous  :thumbsup:

On 2017-6-1 at 4:08 PM, Juniorsparkie said:

Just to say there are more about these first two signings than in all of whatshisface's multitude of guys, "who I will coach to be superstars"

No pish about hydration, pitch geography etc etc.

The modern player should have this as second nature, not getting told it week in week out by the Boss .

The first is a Big European centre half with an air of authority, not a last minute no mark from Switzerland, which was a panic buy in the extreme.

The second the captain of a team which finished above us in the league, whatever your feelings on his signing, he's been a good player against us and the others in the league. 

He can use us to progress as a player and get better, improve our midfield and push on to a successful season. At 25 we should get the best out of him.

I just think that there is a wee bit more cache in these signings, solid pro's wi an air of authority.

What happens now with players out etc. Will be more of signal to the type of football we will play.

Onwards & Upwards.

Bullshit 

8 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Thanks JD :cheers: I've had some health problems on and off recently plus the fact I stayed away from RM over the period of our disgraceful gutless performances against the scum, the sheepies and Hearts; as my blood pressure was at boiling point as it was without coming on here and making it worse.

Staying awake all night to watch a Rangers team with no pride, no passion and no idea wore me down to the end of my tether, but it's hard to walk away from something that's been a big part of my life since I first went to Ibrox circa 1953.

Good to see you're still dangerous  :thumbsup:

Your mind is in great shape. How you remember all the stuff you do I'll never know, especially at your age ?

1 minute ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Your mind is in great shape. How you remember all the stuff you do I'll never know, especially at your age ?

It's amazing Johnny; My wife is always moaning that she will tell me something important but 4 hours later I can't remember it, yet "You can remember fucking players and events from over 50-60 years ago,blah blah blah"  :lol: Although to be truthful, a great deal of it comes from wearing a hole in the carpet diving into the bedroom where I keep all my football books :pipe:

10 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Cheersfor the info on Alex W. What might have been if we'd played him against Franz. Read about the Mr Symon sacking in a book and that was certainly not the standard expected from a Rangers chairman and a disgraceful way to treat an honorable man. Would not be surprised if the team reacted badly to that sacking as there were some seriously strong characters in that team. Oh for those days and players again.:bow:

10 hours ago, Ozblue said:

:thumbsup:

Cheers OZ mate for putting it over so clearly.

I never had the inside knowledge you had to put over your in-depth version of events that lead to Big Roger being first in line choice by Scot Symon .... but the way you have laid it out joins the dots brilliantly ..... and makes sense of the whole narrative.

In my own take on things .... I think that Alex Willoughby should have been first choice .... I was not convinced Jim Forrest especially should have been a scapegoat after Berwick ..... but when you think of how Big Roger performed prior to getting the nod in the final ... it actually seems that (bar the score in the final) it was not such a difficult choice after all for the manager to make .... (similar to Jimmy Millar ending up as a centre forward) ..... even without pressure from John Lawrence at the time ..... or the opinion of the fans ....:lol:

And he actually did score in the final but as you know it was not given .... and the team did play well .... and were so unlucky not to have at least gone to extra time had Roth not squeezed in that last minute winner .... I think overall we were the best team in the ECWC that season and deserved to lift it then.

But as you have documented ..... all was not well in the boardroom and tensions were high amongst the decision makers .... (mainly due to Berwick ... no doubts there) .... and this fact led to team disruption that in the end affected the outcome of that game .... and as you pointed out the loss of a great manager in Scot Symon and the subsequent league being forfeited  ... allowing the scum to go on their 9IAR run .... disgraceful decision by John Lawrence and underhanded way that Mr. Symon was dismissed and not even told  by the chairman face to face .... but in a cowardly fashion .... by an impersonal phone call from an accountant.

Anyway mate .... glad you are still as sharp as a tack and keeping us all on our toes .... and glad to hear your health is not a problem now .... and you're feeling better now and are back posting regularly.

:UK:

19 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

:thumbsup:

Cheers OZ mate for putting it over so clearly.

I never had the inside knowledge you had to put over your in-depth version of events that lead to Big Roger being first in line choice by Scot Symon .... but the way you have laid it out joins the dots brilliantly ..... and makes sense of the whole narrative.

In my own take on things .... I think that Alex Willoughby should have been first choice .... I was not convinced Jim Forrest especially should have been a scapegoat after Berwick ..... but when you think of how Big Roger performed prior to getting the nod in the final ... it actually seems that (bar the score in the final) it was not such a difficult choice after all for the manager to make .... (similar to Jimmy Millar ending up as a centre forward) ..... even without pressure from John Lawrence at the time ..... or the opinion of the fans ....:lol:

And he actually did score in the final but as you know it was not given .... and the team did play well .... and were so unlucky not to have at least gone to extra time had Roth not squeezed in that last minute winner .... I think overall we were the best team in the ECWC that season and deserved to lift it then.

But as you have documented ..... all was not well in the boardroom and tensions were high amongst the decision makers .... (mainly due to Berwick ... no doubts there) .... and this fact led to team disruption that in the end affected the outcome of that game .... and as you pointed out the loss of a great manager in Scot Symon and the subsequent league being forfeited  ... allowing the scum to go on their 9IAR run .... disgraceful decision by John Lawrence and underhanded way that Mr. Symon was dismissed and not even told  by the chairman face to face .... but in a cowardly fashion .... by an impersonal phone call from an accountant.

Anyway mate .... glad you are still as sharp as a tack and keeping us all on our toes .... and glad to hear your health is not a problem now .... and you're feeling better now and are back posting regularly.

Thanks Bobby :cheers: I am positive that if Alex Willoughby had played in that final we would have won it and I never forgave John Lawrence for that; in fact, there are a lot of things John Lawrence will never be forgiven for; namely the disgraceful character assassination of Jim Forrest and Dandy McLean that cost us big time that season. Now whether McLean and Forrest were the main culprits or not is immaterial as it is not up to a chairman to make decisions on what players are selected or sold; that is the job of the Manager...Could you imagine the Liverpool chairman telling Bill Shankly he had to play Tommy Smith as striker instead of Roger Hunt because he didn't like Hunt?...Symon should have stuck to his guns and played Willoughby (In my opinion)

Now back on topic....If Pedro can sign a goalscorer half as good as Forrest or Willoughby we will give the scum one helluva fright in the coming season. :thumbsup:

**** Talking about Bill Shankly....Did you know Roger Hynd had two very famous Uncles; Bill Shankly and Bob Shankly.:pipe:

Spoiler
Spoiler

17 hours ago, Detroit Lion said:

Cannae even mind what the OP was, sitting immersed in OzBlues posts. Cheers for the knowledge my man... It's like you could write a book if you wanted to!

Sorry about wandering off topic, mate! I probably could write a book but there are many better qualified than me to do it.

Dalcio and Cardosa fly in for signing 

RANGERS are close to sealing two more summer deals after Dalcio and Fabio Cardoso landed in Glasgow to complete their moves to Ibrox.

Pedro Caixinha's side have had an active week in the market, securing the signatures of Portugal defender Bruno Alves and Aberdeen captain Ryan Jack.

Cardoso, a 23-year-old centre-back from Portuguese club Vitoria Setubal, has arrived in Scotland alongside 21-year-old Benfica midfielder Dalcio.

The latter is expected to join the Light Blues on a season-long loan deal, while Cardoso is set to pen a three-year contract and command a fee in the region of £1.3m. 

Pumas striker Eduardo Herrera is also set to join the Gers this week, while Daniel Candeias of Benfica and Scotland midfielder Graham Dorrans are further targets

Pedro meeting them at the airport , :bow: 

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/resources/images/6424525/?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/resources/images/6424522/?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/resources/images/6424524/?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/resources/images/6424527/?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/resources/images/6424530/?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/resources/images/6424533/?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

1 hour ago, Ozblue said:

1 / Thanks Bobby :cheers: I am positive that if Alex Willoughby had played in that final we would have won it and I never forgave John Lawrence for that; in fact, there are a lot of things John Lawrence will never be forgiven for; namely the disgraceful character assassination of Jim Forrest and Dandy McLean that cost us big time that season. Now whether McLean and Forrest were the main culprits or not is immaterial as it is not up to a chairman to make decisions on what players are selected or sold; that is the job of the Manager...Could you imagine the Liverpool chairman telling Bill Shankly he had to play Tommy Smith as striker instead of Roger Hunt because he didn't like Hunt?...Symon should have stuck to his guns and played Willoughby (In my opinion)

2 / Now back on topic....If Pedro can sign a goalscorer half as good as Forrest or Willoughby we will give the scum one helluva fright in the coming season. :thumbsup:

3 / **** Talking about Bill Shankly....Did you know Roger Hynd had two very famous Uncles; Bill Shankly and Bob Shankly.:pipe:

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

:cheers:

1 /  My thoughts also mate ... Scot Symon should have stuck to his guns ..... all in all Willoughby was the best option ...... I think Bill Shankly would have threatened to resign if he had faced a similar situation with his chairman interfering in the team selection.

2 / Hopefully Pedro can find such a player for up front .... his signings so far seem to fit the bill midfield and defence wise with Jack and Alves ..... a regular striker is a must get or the team will battle to get over the line like last season with too many draws .... and the many many missed chances also not helping the situation .... a proper proven clinical striker is what is badly required .... someone with half the ability and class of a Forrest or a Willoughby would be brilliant right enough mate .... :thumbup:

3 / Yes mate I do know he was a nephew to those two greats ..... but only because you made me aware of this the last time we discussed the 1967 ECWC ..... :lol:

One of the problems we had with Warbs was every team we played knew how we were going to play, if it wasnt going well or they sussed us out then we were fucked. Hopefully early season the team has that surprise factor and more importantly, pedro knows how to change things if not going well...

any ideas what formation we will go with