Were we too obsessed with 'sell on' value?

graeme_4

The immediate priority is to construct a squad that will challenge, indeed win the SPL 

In the medium term there has to be both a scouting and youth system that continually brings potential that attracts clubs in the EPL. It is vital - its how clubs like Porto, Benfica, Ajax, Monaco have thrived 

7 hours ago, hammer93 said:

I keep saying it...we need to get away fromiythe mindset about selling players, I mean wifat's the point in say runnine player developes and ig the taigs close this season then sell on say 3 of our better players to make a profit....the board need to run the club in a manner that we don't need to sell, we need to keep building so we can win the league and hopefully get into the champions league

I take your point about laudrup but we didn't win a thing in his last season....im not saying it was laudrup fault but if he had of moved on we may of moved in a different direction in the transfer market.

We are just starting to buikd a squad so selling any new starts on should be the last thing we should be thinking, I Outstanding clubs would come knocking,only then should we think about IT.

There will be players who will 6se us as a stepping stone to bigger leagues and IF they help win trophies and  turn a few bob then ok but only on our terms.

Winning trophies is and always should be our number one priority but we should be able to combine this with selling on some of our players for a tidy profit - after they have served the club to the best of their ability - hopefully with distinction.

It's all about getting the best deal for our club with the individual player.- when it's time for them to move on to pastures new.

I don't think we were obsessed with it, to be honest; Hill, Barton, Senderos, Garner, Niko and Gilks didn't have sell-on value. I think the idea was to have a balance of Scottish players, veterans and young players that did have the potential to be sold on at a profit - our recruitment approach was just haphazard, at best, and we didn't sign players that fit our style of play. If anything, we moved away from the model of trying to bring in young players to fit into an attacking team last summer, so I don't think we were rigidly stuck to the approach. The problem was that Warburton seemed to be identifying individual players, rather than a type of player with a system in mind. And that was with the "best in the business" McParland to help identify targets. Pedro, without such a genie, seems to have more of an idea of the type of players he wants. 

There's also an element of Warburton underestimating the level up here, or overestimating some of the players he brought in. I can see why he'd have thought that Rossiter, Dodoo, Windass and Crooks had potential, and why he may have thought it would have worked out like Foderingham, Tav and Waghorn had the year before. But for those signings the jump up from reserve team or League Two football to the SPFL was bigger than the previous influx of players faced. (Waghorn and Tav had played at a higher level than the Scottish Championship, and Foderingham was one of the best keepers below the Championship down south.) I think Windass is a bit of a bawbag and has shown he doesn't have the mentality to succeed here, but I don't think that absolves Warburton of any criticism in failing at bringing in players with first team experience who could cope with the SPFL.

8 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

The immediate priority is to construct a squad that will challenge, indeed win the SPL 

In the medium term there has to be both a scouting and youth system that continually brings potential that attracts clubs in the EPL. It is vital - its how clubs like Porto, Benfica, Ajax, Monaco have thrived 

I agree with this. Also I see a documentary recently about Partizan Belgrade and they have good scout and youth system. FC Porto I know have a very big one, they have scouts here in my local area every year. They are teams who buy cheap and sell big but the player they get are very good and hungry and so the team does good. 

19 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yes. 100%. The idea that every player we signed had to have some kind of sell on value otherwise it was a waste was ridiculous. Not every player will be sold on at a profit and tbh, signing a cf at 30/31 who will score 25-30 goals a season is far more valuable than signing a youngster who might only get ten goals but his value doubles.

nice to see you back on the forum

The manager has 2 words that sums up what he is looking for: winning and warriors. Other teams that want to be winners look at teams that are winning things or competing to win and see if they can buy off them. Rangers need a winning team, get young ones with that hunger to win and sharpen it in a competing  team that is pushing to win. Some old heads that know how to win and accept nothing but that bloody mindedness to win in others. Build that team and other teams from other leagues will come sniffing around with money. Build a winning Rangers and the rest will sort its self. First things first, win.

As it's always been said we need a mixture of youth and experience - this should never change. This is what works, youths are fearless but unpredictable, experienced players are more cautious but predictable and have less of the better physical attributes a young player has. The experienced players pass on a professional mentality, what it means to play for Rangers, and help them through difficult times on the park. Youth re-energises the squad and have a sell on value.

It's not brain surgery - and you must be smart to do that - I mean, it's the brain which is smart being operated on by other smart men with brains.

:p:

20 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

We need to concentrate on winning titles before we even contemplate buying for Sell On value. That means putting a winning team on the park whatever it's make up.

We are not a feeder club.

It's alright saying we are not a feeder club, but there are teams all over the world with better finances than us that have to sell their best players simply because of the power of the almighty dollar.

The EPL can squander millions on prospects, pay them ridiculous amounts of money and push agents to get players to leave.

Its not great but it's where we are, even two years ago salaries in the English Championship for first team players was averaging over a million a year.

And no I don't have an answer, the Sky deals have destroyed the rest of British let alone Scottish football, never have these clubs had so much money and never have they been so skint. 

It comes in from TV deals and disappears to Agents and Players.

We had signed England's Captain, Goalie et al, that will never happen again unfortunately.

As other posts have said the scouting network is paramount get them in on the way up sell for profit if you have to but keep a winning team and use the cash raised to reward the existing players  and invest which along with winning things may keep them here a bit longer. There a few Euro teams who build get success, sell on then regroup this may be our only option to be able to do a turn in Europe.

I've written this, easy in black and white but a damn site harder in reality.

I think it was appropriate at the time and you could argue we didn't consider it enough in the lower leagues. It was totally inappropriate in the 4th division for Ally to give large wages to older players like Kyle for example where we should have developed youth etc  

Equally, under MW it would not have been sensible to to spend millions in the Championship. Players from that period are likely to have sell on value...they were either brought in on frees (hence we lose nothing or gain), whereas guy's like Waghorn, Windass, Tav etc could likely be sold for profits (even if only slight). 

Where we went wrong was not investing more on return to the SPL and the board seem to have realised that. Here there needs to be a blend between instant quality and potential. Last year we took far too many risks in the market and were punished. Morellos for example could be sold for significant profit if successful. Herrera and Alves are established internationals expected to perform immediately but may not deliver financial return. 

Operating with the financial constraints we do (both at Club and League/TV level) this has to be the sensible approach for us going forward. 

2 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

It's not brain surgery - and you must be smart to do that - I mean, it's the brain which is smart being operated on by other smart men with brains.

Mate, please for the love of God please stop talking utter shit - can I offer you a self imposed ban at least until the season starts again then all the decent posters will be back and we can talk football. 

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Mate, please for the love of God please stop talking utter shit - can I offer you a self imposed ban at least until the season starts again then all the decent posters will be back and we can talk football. 

As if your posts make sense :lol:

Anger management is the next step for you - I'll push you over the edge if that's what you're needing.

I'll post what I want, some people find my posts amusing, some people like you don't - I don't care.

12 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

As if your posts make sense :lol:

Anger management is the next step for you - I'll push you over the edge if that's what you're needing.

I'll post what I want, some people find my posts amusing, some people like you don't - I don't care.

Who says I'm angry? tell me so I can kick their teeth in, the nerdy wee bassa's :anger: