SL Benfica Game Cancelled/Club Statement

RFCRobertson

Promoter for this game obviously has overheads to cover and with their back against the wall they are looking to blame anybody. So now its the fault of the Rangers supporters. It then becomes easy for the usual media outlets to put out some more banner headlines which reflect negatively on the club. I wonder If the will make any effort to find out why Benfica pulled the plug on the first case.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, steven33jackie said:

Promoter for this game obviously has overheads to cover and with their back against the wall they are looking to blame anybody. So now its the fault of the Rangers supporters. It then becomes easy for the usual media outlets to put out some more banner headlines which reflect negatively on the club. I wonder If the will make any effort to find out why Benfica pulled the plug on the first case.

They're obviously an amateur organisation tbh.

In Canada/America big things can be done via syndication.

They should have got a small group of investors involved to put up some cash (usually these people also have contacts in TV, commercial advertising on a local, regional or national scale, publishing, catering etc) which they utilise to help the project be a success and make everyone a bit more money.

Probably nothing like that's been done at all - this mob going it alone and making a rip-roaring cunt of it. No contacts or side-investment with the perks and advice that goes with it to make the game a success. Arseholes. 

Statement from Elite Soccer Entertainment:
“Elite Soccer Entertainment would like to apologize to the fans, SL Benfica & Rangers Football Club for the match cancellation of the 2017 Eusébio Cup edition, which was scheduled to be played on the 6th of October in Hamilton, Canada.
Due to unforeseen reasons and poor ticket sales it was not possible for ESE to meet the commitments acquired towards Sport Lisboa e Benfica and Glasgow Rangers under the terms and conditions that were agreed upon.
This situation goes beyond the control or responsibility of any of the clubs above mentioned.
ESE has the utmost respect for Benfica, Rangers and especially the fans. There has been numerous rumors and speculations blaming Rangers supporters for not purchasing enough tickets.
That is a false statement and Elite Soccer Entertainment would like to put it to rest.
We deeply regret what has happened, and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that may have been caused to the clubs involved and to their supporters.
As well to Eusébio da Silva Ferreira’s family, all of whom deserve our greatest respect to Sport Lisboa e Benfica and Glasgow Rangers, and institutions of international renown we wish the biggest success and we hope to work together sometime in the near future.”

7 minutes ago, cstamomusa said:

“Elite Soccer Entertainment would like to apologize to the fans, SL Benfica & Rangers Football Club for the match cancellation of the 2017 Eusébio Cup edition, which was scheduled to be played on the 6th of October in Hamilton, Canada.
Due to unforeseen reasons and poor ticket sales it was not possible for ESE to meet the commitments acquired towards Sport Lisboa e Benfica and Glasgow Rangers under the terms and conditions that were agreed upon.
This situation goes beyond the control or responsibility of any of the clubs above mentioned.
ESE has the utmost respect for Benfica, Rangers and especially the fans. There has been numerous rumors and speculations blaming Rangers supporters for not purchasing enough tickets.
That is a false statement and Elite Soccer Entertainment would like to put it to rest.
We deeply regret what has happened, and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that may have been caused to the clubs involved and to their supporters.
As well to Eusébio da Silva Ferreira’s family, all of whom deserve our greatest respect to Sport Lisboa e Benfica and Glasgow Rangers, and institutions of international renown we wish the biggest success and we hope to work together sometime in the near future.”

Good luck with that. Hopefully they won't be in any position to work with ANYONE again after Rangers sue them for 200k and put them under.

Who really can blame anyone for not buying tickets for a friendly 6 hours away in a flight  in the middle of the season. Not sure what they honestly expected 

would be nice if our club reimbursed those with travel plans from the uk (and had to cancel them) once they get their 200k 

5 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Would imagine the club will be covered with some sort of insurance on this one, probably the only ones out of pocket will be the fans!

image.jpeg.591bacdfdcf1662e5264a9b039f95787.jpeg

From what I've heard I'm not so sure to be honest. I don't think the figure mooted (200k) is what Rangers has lost, I think that possibly includes their match fee that they were due on top of their expenses but the clubs out of pocket.

Just now, K.A.I said:

From what I've heard I'm not so sure to be honest. I don't think the figure mooted (200k) is what Rangers has lost, I think that possibly includes their match fee that they were due on top of their expenses but the clubs out of pocket.

Do we know if the club are still travelling or has it been totally cancelled?

31 minutes ago, cstamomusa said:

This is a false statement. 

So will the Sun (it was them wasn't it?) be explaining where they got the statement. 

Lets not hold our breaths. 

What does poor ticket sales mean? 

Were they expecting a sell out and only sold half? Or are we talking a few thousand sold? 

Its basic economics I guess the outgoings to pay both teams, staff on the night and returfing the pitch would all need to be covered before they can even look at making a profit.

Seems they have made a meal of their earning projections.

Maybe they seen how many we took to Germany and thought we would take thousands along with North American bears going too. 

I looked at going but like many it’s getting to the end of the year and holidays didn’t make it possible for me with 3 days plus the weekend needed to head over.

Not sure why Benfica didn’t just hold the game in their own stadium, we would have taken thousands to Lisbon, easier to get to and fewer days needed holiday wise.

2 minutes ago, GovanFrontSince96 said:

What was the outcome of this? Did anyone still go over to Canada or did you all just take a hit on flights booked, are Rangers helping recover costs? 

Hope anyone who did still go over had a good 4 or 5 days in Toronto. 

A few still went over, the flights out and back were quite busy with Rangers fans on it. Not a massive number, but enough. 

No idea regards Rangers recovering costs. It's went quiet on that front but I don't know if that's Rangers intention at all. They never promised it but the SLO was interested in our costs. I'd imagine if they are trying, then it would be after they got the clubs expenses back.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

A few still went over, the flights out and back were quite busy with Rangers fans on it. Not a massive number, but enough. 

No idea regards Rangers recovering costs. It's went quiet on that front but I don't know if that's Rangers intention at all. They never promised it but the SLO was interested in our costs. I'd imagine if they are trying, then it would be after they got the clubs expenses back.

Cheers for the update, hopefully Rangers will help if they can.

On 03/10/2017 at 18:37, K.A.I said:

Good luck with that. Hopefully they won't be in any position to work with ANYONE again after Rangers sue them for 200k and put them under.

yip. I understand this was just a mistake but after we've sued them we should take nothing to do with them ever again and discourage any other clubs from doing so