Buying and selling - we seriously need to improve (avoid if you don't want to see the Tim's mentioned)

j1mgg

28 minutes ago, James Rolle said:

What is “close to what we should be”? Media reports that we have knocked back 200k for Josh!! Apparently we value him at 2m, which is about right. We really have fucked ourselves by letting some decent players go for peanuts, now all those lower league chumps think they can come in and pick off our best players for nothing!

Depends how valuable you see him. I think we should be taking absolutely nothing less than £1.5m minimum for him but thats just me. I think the £2m we've suggested is reasonable. It's just not a big risk for clubs down there to spend a couple million on a player. £200k is madness though and my worry is the second a clubs bid hits the million mark we'll bite their hand off sadly!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

Carlos Cuellar. How can you forget one of the most important players in one of the most memorable seasons in our history? It was only 10 years ago :lol:

I'm shit with names and couldn't remember his when I was writing the post you quoted. 

The manager has final say on players. As for our youth development system, same old fucking nepotistic SFA coaches who wouldn't know talent, far less devlop it it they fell over it.

The scum are the benchmark and they have no DOF.

The best we can come up with in the last five years is McKay ffs, says it all. We were bad before, but now just a joke of a train wreck. Tens of millions wasted, with the second highest budget in the Scottish game all through those years.

Outwith the scum, the sheep, Dundee hivs, ICT, Accies have all had successful youth development systems. Whilst we continue with the nepotism and a continuing reliance on the cheque book for the first team, such is our mentality. We cannot even hoover up the best of the youth from other development systems like the scum do. Our arrogance knows no bounds and it remains to this day.

We can't even recognise talent for the first team, far less those for youth development.

We have learned little and again we face the precipice with king. Will it ever change? I seriously doubt it, such is the mind set. 

5 hours ago, Supersonic said:

Depends how valuable you see him. I think we should be taking absolutely nothing less than £1.5m minimum for him but thats just me. I think the £2m we've suggested is reasonable. It's just not a big risk for clubs down there to spend a couple million on a player. £200k is madness though and my worry is the second a clubs bid hits the million mark we'll bite their hand off sadly!

Put it this way. Would you pay 2 mil for Wndass?!

So WTF should or would anyone else?

On 28 December 2017 at 16:20, Laudrup1984 said:

There's no doubt the taigs are being run better than us however it's no real coincidence they've been able to utilise the transfer market to their maximum potential primarily whilst we have been out of the picture.

I guess wanyama, forster, vdv and now dembele have or will go onto be very profitable for them however most if not all of these players were signed by the taigs when we were in difficulty and when we had little or no scouting system. There was therefore no competition from us as a rival club, so they have been able to cherry pick players on a promise of guaranteed silverware, fame, finance, Europe and that they can then get their big move to the English Premier League. 

The 4 above players IMO are decent players but the taigs have been able to use the champions league as a platform for these guys, they have exaggerated their domestic success incredibly and their pr machine, also known as the Scottish press have played a blinder. You only have to look at braceface. He's somehow managed to get into the Champions League best team despite being part of one of the worst participating teams in European football history. It's quite remarkable that this has happened without anyone questioning it.

The taigs have been very lucky on two points too. One, the English market is wild right now. If we were playing Champions League football right now and winning trophies we would also be receiving ridiculous offers for players too. In today's market you could probably double what you'd get for Cuellar, Hutton and Boumsong. They have been lucky in that respect. Also, they have spunked a Shitload of millions on a lot of very very shit players. I don't even know half of them as the media sweep it under the carpet and just talk about bloody Pena! They have wasted millions on Scandinavian, African, Dutch, Asian players to name but a few however if you continue to buy lots of players with no main rival to compete against you will eventually get some right, and in fairness they have been incredibly fortunate IMO with the above 4 players especially. Using the scatter gun approach you only need a few to come off and you've done it.

They obviously have more money than us however no matter how much money they have, being in Scotland, they will never be able to truly use that financial gain to a massive advantage IMO. It doesn't matter how much money you have, you will only ever be able to attract a certain level of player to Scotland. Therefore in that respect they'll never really get much better than they are now. If we can't get to that level we'd be as well chucking it. If we can't reduce a deficit against a taig team where guys like naeneck, armstrong, gordon and the thumb are key men then I truly despair.

Despite the financial gulf it's just numbers. It's one man's valuation. It doesn't really matter. More money should give you a better chance but it's not that simple. Look at Real, Milan, Man Utd, Everton etc. Finance is a lazy, easy get out. Yes the board have failed but it's not just them. The board, the management, the players have all failed us and failed us for far too long. As poor as the board have been some of our results this season are simply unacceptable. There can be no excuses.

The key is recruitment, and to maximise recruitment you need a competent board, a competent scouting team, a competent management team and competent players to all represent great value. It shouldn't be as difficult as we seem to make it for ourselves and it shouldn't cost as many suggest or seem to think IMO. Football is so simple but time and again we get it wrong, over and over again. 

The next year is going to be massive. I genuinely don't think the gap is insurmountable (between us as clubs and players, not necessarily for the title this season). However, a lot will depend on how we recruit over the next year and how we perform on and off the field. It will be very telling. If I'm honest though I'm not overly confident. Hopefully I'm wrong...........

Sorry, but you are in denial.

Almost every other team in the top league have a better youth system than us and long before our fall from grace 6 years ago.

During the Walter years it was cheque book as king, whilst the scum lved within their means and we routed them, as they built for the long term and like they continue to do so today. How much have they spent on their current team? Very little, but they have three times the turnover and year on year profit from many income streams, none the least from the CL, that we can never aspire to due to lack of funding. 

In all that time the best we have came up with is McKay ffs, despite our budget remainng at the second highest in the land durng the Ally years.

Then just look at WTF we have brought into the first team? Need I say more?

We have simply learned fuck all from history and we continue in our arrogance, trying to make a rather rubbery cheque book the answer. We remain riddled with fucking nepotism and trough guzzlers who see no further than the end of their nose. Nothing is done for the greater good, and all about self serving agendas feathering one's own nests.

We had the opportunity to make things right and royally fucked it up big time, so now we reap what we sow.

Businesses create their own success and we are an abject failure and there are no fucking excuses for not having a decent and successful youth development system, nor for the shite we consistently bring to club season on season with the second highest budget in the land by far, and far less the fucking omnishambles that are excuses of Directors that run us.

Of any other board, this fuckng one have made us irrelevant, far less toxic. We are a fuckng circus led by clowns.

Now as a consequence of COS/TAB, you tell me the probable outcome if king walks away calling in his loans and that tells you who and what we are from top to bottom and we the fans were complicit in it.

It's fucking sickening and until this club start putting matters right, our very future is in jeopardy.

On 28/12/2017 at 09:28, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

If there is one financial positive in Scottish football it’s that we border the richest football league on the planet. 

Scouting and development are critically essential to our future prospects. Two potential success stories right now are Morelos and McCrorie. For us to prosper in the coming seasons then both these elements have to be spot on. 

One other aspect is selling at the right time and being tough and wily negotiators. The Barrie McKay transfer was another example of this board’s incompetence. Changes are needed in there. 

You get the feeling our board would have crumbled trying to sell Dembele. End up selling him for £4m or something.

10 hours ago, Gazza1212 said:

Before I address the rest of the post mate let's make one thing abundantly clear. At no point did I say or even infer they were a better fan base or a bigger club. Some of the fenian propaganda associated with them is genuinely hilarious and I certainly don't buy into it.  All this "club like no other" fucking nonsense is for the gulable and nothing more. 

I'm well aware of the facts surrounding attendances etc. The difference being we don't feel the necessity to shove it down everyone's throat. But truth be known this only makes our current situation all the more frustrating for me because no one can deny the feeling is there. 

What worries me is our failure to come together. That's what troubles me and that's my biggest fear moving forward. It's high time we attract our own "Wee tit in the bonnet" because this shambles we are all propping up bears very little resemblance to the Rangers I know. 

Every year that passes it seems to me we become more apathetic and tolerant of mediocrity. All the time they grow stronger, more organised and more intent in keeping the status quo. I wholeheartedly believe we as a support have the desire within us to get back on top but it's the infighting and lack of focus that restricts our progress. 

Very well put. Sorry if I came across as being a bit wanky lol get carried away on that soapbox. Certanly is worrying that we seem rudderless in a lot of aspects but thank my lucky stars for being a bluenose and not one of those animals.