third lanark

bomber

was thinking about the games against third Lanark in the sixties before they unfortunately shut down.i remember they had a right back named finlay macgilvery, who as I recall was the best in the division at the time.i know we signed him but did he ever get a game for us,anyone know?

5 minutes ago, bomber said:

was thinking about the games against third Lanark in the sixties before they unfortunately shut down.i remember they had a right back named finlay macgilvery, who as I recall was the best in the division at the time.i know we signed him but did he ever get a game for us,anyone know?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Findlay_McGillivray

According to wiki, he didn't get a game at us and moved on to Bradford Park avenue. 

2 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Yup never kicked a ba' for the first team, transferred from the Hi Hi to The Rangers in exchange for Doug Baillie plus 12 grand going to Thirds. He got in the team photie but.

zzzzzxyz.thumb.jpg.84a709ef456857c06824fd5b025c64fa.jpg

Some great players in that photo. Very few of today's squad fit to lace their boots.

1 hour ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I don't know the ins and outs of their demise, but its tragic that Scottish football would let one of the more successful teams collapse like that. 

the thirds were an original member  of the league ,third lanark rifles division they even had the regimnt crest above the cottage tha acted as a dressing room,they got bought over by a property developer whotried to sell off the ground ton a builder  thought to be john lawrence. but he never did hjis homework as the gropund was the original hampden and was reserved as an open space ,tom this day it lies vacant.

Oor Bobby Shearer was the last manager of Thirds, here he is with the directors, Hiddleston was the one who scuppered them with his dodgy dealings, he's the one in the middle. He didn't even have the guts to tell the players it was all over he left the dirty work to Bobby.

image.thumb.jpeg.d94c84e86bccb2d18383d6faf695e274.jpeg

21 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Oor Bobby Shearer was the last manager of Thirds, here he is with the directors, Hiddleston was the one who scuppered them with his dodgy dealings, he's the one in the middle. He didn't even have the guts to tell the players it was all over he left the dirty work to Bobby.

image.thumb.jpeg.d94c84e86bccb2d18383d6faf695e274.jpeg

mate of mine was trainer,he to0ld me at the end bobby handed out the wages and it was all taken out the gate money and the were paid in coins mostly and it was in an envelope if the were just out the shower   the envelopes burst open and th money went flying.he knew it could,nt last and got out.

18 minutes ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

mate of mine was trainer,he to0ld me at the end bobby handed out the wages and it was all taken out the gate money and the were paid in coins mostly and it was in an envelope if the were just out the shower   the envelopes burst open and th money went flying.he knew it could,nt last and got out.

They were paying them with the money straight from the gate apparently, it was all there was.

On 23/02/2018 at 14:27, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Yup never kicked a ba' for the first team, transferred from the Hi Hi to The Rangers in exchange for Doug Baillie plus 12 grand going to Thirds. He got in the team photie but.

zzzzzxyz.thumb.jpg.84a709ef456857c06824fd5b025c64fa.jpg

Doug Baillie who went onto be a journalist and his son lex played for the tarriers

On 2/23/2018 at 18:05, thedarvelmarvel said:

the thirds were an original member  of the league ,third lanark rifles division they even had the regimnt crest above the cottage tha acted as a dressing room,they got bought over by a property developer whotried to sell off the ground ton a builder  thought to be john lawrence. but he never did hjis homework as the gropund was the original hampden and was reserved as an open space ,tom this day it lies vacant.

Program on Alba a couple of weeks ago about the demise of Third Lanark,aye they were shafted :-(

On 23/02/2018 at 19:16, .Williamson. said:

Scottish football was quite happy to let similar happen to us 

It's more understandable these days as as to how Thirds went under when we have seen how they were prepared to let their most successful club go to the wall without a minuscule fragment of support or assistance. We survived by the skin of our teeth. When we are back on top we (the fans) will let them know about it, and never forget our friends in the league who tried to help in the time of crisis, listed here............................................