Scottish Football

Just now, hammer93 said:

OK.....I'm glad that clears that up....basically your employer didn't give a fuck about the Goodwillie situation at the time....Scotlands biggest media outlet wasn't too fussed back then so it was a non story:thumbup:

Not sure how you've come to that conclusion because the 'Rangers fan blogger' never wrote an article on it. How exactly does David Goodwillie being a rapist fit into a blog about what's been going on at Rangers?

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not sure how you've come to that conclusion because the 'Rangers fan blogger' never wrote an article on it. How exactly does David Goodwillie being a rapist fit into a blog about what's been going on at Rangers?

It is dig at the Record mate....you're saying you write what your employer tells you to write.....clearly your employer didn't think it was that much of a story if they didn't ask their top journalists to cover the story.....I'm sure I remember they were all over it when he signed for Raith.....basically the point that people are making!!!

Nobody bothered enough about his time at clyde to force him out the game....that is the debate here nothing else and nothing sinister like defending a rapist:tu:

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Some sponsors pulled out in 2017. I don't think Clyde had a women's team in 2017.

Others didn't and only did it when they tried to re-sign him.

Think there was only a few months between him leaving and coming back, so I'm guessing they were happy enough to start up a women's team while he was there, and the women signed while he was there, only for them to later withdraw when they tried to sign him again.

The sponsors and the women's team were either 'empowered' or shamed into their actions when he tried to re-sign on loan.

There is nothing particularly surprising in this. Sometimes it takes one person to take a stand and demand action for others to then stand up and follow.

I do think Clyde deserve criticism for their handling of it though, and I think everyone here agrees.

I think the contentious part is actually criticising the SNP / person who kicked up a stink about him moving to Raith. If think by default people disagree with all things SNP, but in this case, I think the person who kicked up the stink was actually pretty responsible and I agree with them on this action. Probably still a prick though.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Think there was only a few months between him leaving and coming back, so I'm guessing they were happy enough to start up a women's team while he was there, and the women signed while he was there, only for them to later withdraw when they tried to sign him again.

The sponsors and the women's team were either 'empowered' or shamed into their actions when he tried to re-sign on loan.

There is nothing particularly surprising in this. Sometimes it takes one person to take a stand and demand action for others to then stand up and follow.

I do think Clyde deserve criticism for their handling of it though, and I think everyone here agrees.

I think the contentious part is actually criticising the SNP / person who kicked up a stink about him moving to Raith. If think by default people disagree with all things SNP, but in this case, I think the person who kicked up the stink was actually pretty responsible and I agree with them on this action. Probably still a prick though.

You could maybe make that argument for Mcdermid as it directly impacted a business she was associated with, the rest who jumped on it did it purely because they wanted to be seen as doing the right thing, they evidently didn't care beforehand.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Sadly, that's the nature of it. Not all sponsors are going to withdraw - or even have the moral fibre to see the problem that's created by his signing. If we're going empowered or shamed, I'd be inclined to go empowered give the shift in societal attitudes in the time from his initial signing until his return on loan.

Clyde deserve everything they get for signing him and trying to bring him back is even worse given the uproar his move to Raith caused and the very obvious reaction a return to Clyde would cause.

5 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Clyde made him captain in 2019 so whatever sponsors, Senior people resigning did absolutely fuck all tbh.

Not defending Raith decision to sign him as that’s horrendous but there was not enough condemnation from the football community to Clyde continuing not only to play him but reward him with further contracts and promoting him to captain.

Just now, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

You could maybe make that argument for Mcdermid as it directly impacted a business she was associated with, the rest who jumped on it did it purely because they wanted to be seen as doing the right thing, they evidently didn't care beforehand.

I'm no really that familiar with the case and everyone involved to be honest, so you might be right.

I don't know what the motivation was for anyone involved etc, but no doubt there was a certain amount of people who were willing to let it slide suddenly becoming incredibly vocal about it.

To be fair, its a much lesser example, but I'm probably guilty of similar, and I suspect that many of us are probably the same. We signed that cunt Flannigan who battered his Mrs. I was not happy with it at the time, but did fuck all about it and basically hoped he would play well any time he came on.

He should have never played for us and if someone had started a petition to block the move, I would have probably been on board with it.

I just like many was willing to turn a blind eye to it. I just didn't care enough, but in another circumstance could have been arguing like fuck that he should be nowhere near us.

Just now, ayro said:

Clyde made him captain in 2019 so whatever sponsors, Senior people resigning did absolutely fuck all tbh.

Not defending Raith decision to sign him as that’s horrendous but there was not enough condemnation from the football community to Clyde continuing not only to play him but reward him with further contracts and promoting him to captain.

Clyde didn't care about the criticism. Their chairman even called it 'disrespectful' and going against the principles of rehabilitation - ignoring the fact that Goodwillie declared bankruptcy to avoif paying a penny of the 100k settlement and his insistence he was innocent.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I'm no really that familiar with the case and everyone involved to be honest, so you might be right.

I don't know what the motivation was for anyone involved etc, but no doubt there was a certain amount of people who were willing to let it slide suddenly becoming incredibly vocal about it.

To be fair, its a much lesser example, but I'm probably guilty of similar, and I suspect that many of us are probably the same. We signed that cunt Flannigan who battered his Mrs. I was not happy with it at the time, but did fuck all about it and basically hoped he would play well any time he came on.

He should have never played for us and if someone had started a petition to block the move, I would have probably been on board with it.

I just like many was willing to turn a blind eye to it. I just didn't care enough, but in another circumstance could have been arguing like fuck that he should be nowhere near us.

The three highest profile critics were Val McDermid (their shirt sponsor), Sturgeon and Gordon Brown (lifelong Raith fan and season-ticket holder).

Just now, The Dude said:

The three highest profile critics were Val McDermid (their shirt sponsor), Sturgeon and Gordon Brown (lifelong Raith fan and season-ticket holder).

McDermit and Brown I can then get behind. They had skin in the game.

Sturgeon unless she has some association with Raith should have been handing out the same criticism when he was at Clyde.

I think this is where folk have a point that there was a bit of jumping on the bandwagon for political point scoring.

They ain't excusing the cunt, but they are having a dig at the politicisation of it, even if it results in the correct outcome.

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

McDermit and Brown I can then get behind. They had skin in the game.

Sturgeon unless she has some association with Raith should have been handing out the same criticism when he was at Clyde.

I think this is where folk have a point that there was a bit of jumping on the bandwagon for political point scoring.

They ain't excusing the cunt, but they are having a dig at the politicisation of it, even if it results in the correct outcome.

Think all she did was comment on Twitter after the women's team resigned saying: “The fact they’re in this position at all reminds us that our society still has a way to go to make zero tolerance of sexual violence a reality.”

She's a cunt but it's hardly political point scoring.

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

100%. People literally defending rapists

I think it's also a bit of a sign of how quickly people can change opinion on some of these things.

The MeToo movement really did have an impact on the outlooks of allot of people.

There are folk on that thread that I'm sure would be horrified looking back at what they said at the time.

FF is however still back in the dark ages it seems with the views I have heard posted on here.