Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

Just now, KingKirk said:

I dont expect what happened this season to happen next

I do sadly, unless we gut the entire team of about 15-20 bodies in this coming window and bring in real, genuine quality. I don't believe there will be sufficient backing to achieve what we need him to. 

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, TMB said:

It's like Gerrard is coming here to get a bit of experience as a manager at our expense.  Success or failure he'll just fuck off back to Liverpool at the end of it.  

if he then fucks off to Liverpool it means hes been a success, short term we need to stop 10.. 

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Get Paul Scholes then, he's better, Lampard is as good and a Rangers fan, even Gascoigne.

Get Henry, the best player to play in that league and won virtually everything he could, and being touted for the Arsenal job.

I genuinely hope that he does do good and make me look an even bigger mongo than I already am but I just can't see mate, can't see it going any different to this season.

Until we're actually good again, I don't see the profile stuff etc. being a positive, the bigger/better players probably is tbf, but only if they don't end up flops like Alves etc 

There is none in that list have the qualifications yet to be a manager. Thats why Gerrard is under consideration he has his badges.

1 minute ago, theblueoysterbar said:

To be honest I think it's about Gerrard's soft skills (TM) as people like to call them.

"Gary, it's Steven here, any chance you can tap up that guy we've been looking at after you've interviewed him?"

"Frank, you know that guy that played with you in NYC a few times, what's he like?"

"Wes, it's Steven here... I know you know defence backwards, anyone about for a left back understudy that I should be looking at here?" 

I don’t doubt he has contacts to get decent players in it’s what he does with those players once they get here I’m worried about

Just now, KingKirk said:

There is none in that list have the qualifications yet to be a manager. Thats why Gerrard is under consideration he has his badges.

Thierry Henry is assistant manager at Belgium I’m pretty sure he has his Badges..

Just now, Supersonic said:

I do sadly, unless we gut the entire team of about 15-20 bodies in this coming window and bring in real, genuine quality. I don't believe there will be sufficient backing to achieve what we need him to. 

Then I dont believe he will be our manager hes not coming here to battle for 2nd mate

2 minutes ago, WWTC said:

Who gives a fuck if they’re doing it for Gerrard? It involves us doesnt it? Thats just how it works. 

Thats nonsense, everyones talking about us not just 3 of his pals on the tele. Guaranteed players in England who otherwise probably wouldnt think about coming up here would be considering alot more now. Thats 2 positives. 

Im not saying he’s the ideal appointment or one that jumped out at me, but considering we were after Mcinnes 6months ago this for me would atleast show a bit of ambition. I must be one of the only idiots thats actually excited by this. 

We're an embarrassing football team at this moment in time, them talking about us isn't a positive to me. If they come and and play well it's a positive, if they do a Barton or an Alves -obviously not from England- then it's not a positive at all, it may well turn out to be, and hope it does

Just now, Siwel said:

I don’t doubt he has contacts to get decent players in it’s what he does with those players once they get here I’m worried about

If this goes ahead I think I'm more concerned about how he gets rid of the shite we have at the moment.

1 minute ago, stevemartin1991 said:

if he then fucks off to Liverpool it means hes been a success, short term we need to stop 10.. 

If he's shite and sacked by Christmas he'll fuck of back to the Liverpool youth setup.  That's why I said he'll go back there no matter what.  We're just a club for him to try his hand at management at.  

2 minutes ago, WWTC said:

considering we were after Mcinnes 6months ago this for me would atleast show a bit of ambition.

Gerrard or McInnes, who to chose:lol:

I clearly remember people saying welcome home McInnes and getting excited over his potential appointment.

He may be an experienced diddy team manager but I'd rather have a rookie who is a Champions League winner and who is used to a high pressure environment than tripe like McInnes.

Just now, KingKirk said:

Then I dont believe he will be our manager hes not coming here to battle for 2nd mate

I believe it'll be another one of these utter bullshit 3 year plans we've been fed twice now (Warburton 3 / Pedro 5). 

Down south all he needs to do is look like he's improved our situation a good bit and he'll be onto a winner down there when he moves on and we'll get painted as unrealistic fans yet again.

He'll be told to "be competitive" and ideally win an OF or two. There's no fucking chance he's being told to come in and win everything and here's the money to do it. But that's exactly what these cunts in charge should be doing. 

2 minutes ago, Siwel said:

That’s the thing it keeps coming back to but it’s pointless imo, Gerrard from a business angle is probably a decent appointment but from a football management POV it’s a shambles. Doesn’t matter how good the players he gets in are if he can’t coach them or set them up correctly we will be fucked.

Totally agree! It’s been our problem for the last 2 years, our squad is good enough to beat the tarriers to the league (no really, it is) but they’ve not had that guidance/management to allow them to do so. 

I wouldn’t say that it’s a shambles... yet! As we don’t know how SG will fair as a manager. Could take to it like a duck to water but could also be a worse gaffer than McCoist for all we know! Massive risk that we probably shouldn’t be taking but I wouldn’t write it off just yet.

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Lampard was touted for Oxford? so I'm positive he has, Henry was being touted for Arsenal. Paul Scholes wanted the Oxford job

1 minute ago, Siwel said:

Why would Gerrard be considered

Either 1 of these

1. DK through his connection with liverpool

or

Major investment is on the way and wherever it is coming from have asked for Gerrard(like was suggested earlier)

Just now, KingKirk said:

Either 1 of these

or

Major investment is on the way and wherever it is coming from have asked for Gerrard(like was suggested earlier)

So he’s only coming in cause he has a mate who is the chairman of the club or is going to be investing into the club. Just what we need.

2 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Either 1 of these

or

No footballing reason then??

3 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

If this goes ahead I think I'm more concerned about how he gets rid of the shite we have at the moment.

Same. That's almost as important as who he get's in which is a monumental task in itself.

One major issue I've got is that a lot of these guys who have proved time and time again they can't be trusted when it comes to the crunch - the likes of Tav, Fod, Windass infact fuck it, them all (I'm not gonna single some out because they are all bad as each other) get that boost when Gerrard comes in, they are all buzzing, pre-season training goes well and Gerrard who is aware of our position but maybe doesn't quite know the level of these guys and their failures see's a good response and can get taken in by it and strengthen's the squad accordingly ... and then before you know their true colours come out again and we've missed the rebuild boat to do a proper job and it's another season that's been wrote off.

That can't happen.

If Mark Allen has anything about him and is calling the shots when it comes the football side/transfer policy then he will be working on getting them all gone in preperation for Gerrard arriving and creating a blank canvas for him. 

I know we will have about 6-weeks and then there's the European qualifiers - but buy wisely and there's no reason why we can't assemble a new team to see off some shite from Cyprus, Latvia or wherever. 

25 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

There's without a doubt some positives mate. Clearly there is.

My view is that the risk to reward ratio even taking these positives into account isn't enough for me. Not by a longshot.

But at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised either if he did do the job and proved everyone wrong. I don't think it's as clear cut as a McCoist, Caixhina or Murty that was doomed to fail right from the very start - there's a different feel to this sort of gamble. It's difficult to put my finger on or explain but it's there.

and again, there are positives. Maybe not enough tho. 

Same.

I think it's the fact that he has a winning mentality and is a determined character - contrast that with the pally, jokey attitude of McCoist, the mediocre mentality of Caixinha and Warburton or the spineless nature of Murty and I think Gerrard has a much better chance of succeeding.

Whether he does succeed remains to be seen.

6 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Sounds like a load of pish TBH.

4 minutes ago, Siwel said:

So he’s only coming in cause he has a mate who is the chairman of the club or is going to be investing into the club. Just what we need.

I dont see him coming for the budget Warburton or pedro had combined mate why would he get out his bed for that when liverpool can sign a 17/18 year old for 10million+ I think there might be something in the investment talk.

Archived