Plaque Placed To Commemorate Our First Scottish Cup Final In 1877.

The Moonlighter

5 hours ago, BlearyEyedBear said:

There’s a lot of history at that old cricket ground.

Fun fact (for me anyway):

I lived on Peel Street opposite the current clubhouse for that cricket ground for a time as a child. 

Only found out later in life that I lived 50ft from international football history and our own club history. 

9 hours ago, Drumloyal said:

Fun fact (for me anyway):

I lived on Peel Street opposite the current clubhouse for that cricket ground for a time as a child. 

Only found out later in life that I lived 50ft from international football history and our own club history. 

Useless fact... Rangers were the good history of that street. The bad was that 50 folk were killed in 1941 when bombs destroyed several tenements (where the modernish infill tenements are now across Peel Street from the cricket ground). Grim.

23 hours ago, The Moonlighter said:

On the 17th March 1877 Rangers played our first ever Scottish Cup Final against Vale of Leven at Hamilton Crescent in Partick, the match ended 1-1.

A replay was also played at the cricket ground which also finished 1-1, that  game went into extra time and was abandoned amid controversial circumstances.

Vale eventually won the Scottish Cup at First Hampden 3-2.

This was a Rangers team of youngsters going toe to toe with the mighty Vale.

It was this series of games that saw the transformation of the Rangers from what was essentially a boys club, born on Fleshers Haugh only five years earlier, to a respected football club one which caught the imagination and admiration of the Glasgow public this is something that the Club never lost. 

The Rangers were never to look back. 

With this in mind we approached the committee at West of Scotland Cricket Club with a view to having a commemorative plaque placed on their pavilion wall celebrating this wonderful achievement.

We’re delighted to say that our proposal was given full approval and the plaque is now in place.

We at the Founders Trail would like to sincerely thank:

John Thomson at West of Scotland CC.

Grant McIndoe

Andy Smillie of AS Scaffolding

Davie Calderwood of Elite Worktops

Domenico’s Memorials

West Plaque 1877.JPG

West Plaque 4.JPG

How long till the paedo lovers deface it?

2 hours ago, big blue Fin said:

How long till the paedo lovers deface it?

They want history to always suit them. You know the sort of thing they are the wee charity team only interested in football and feeding the orphans ... which kinda overlooks the fact that it took us 26 years to need a limited company where as the brewery works team did it in only 9

6 hours ago, Inigo said:

Useless fact... Rangers were the good history of that street. The bad was that 50 folk were killed in 1941 when bombs destroyed several tenements (where the modernish infill tenements are now across Peel Street from the cricket ground). Grim.

Think it was the same attack that hit buildings in Dowanhill, just along from me there are some slightly out of place deck access flats. I believe they were built after the war to replace older buildings that were damaged by the Luftwaffe attempting to hit industry on the Clyde. 

1 hour ago, gsa said:

Think it was the same attack that hit buildings in Dowanhill, just along from me there are some slightly out of place deck access flats. I believe they were built after the war to replace older beings that were damaged by the Luftwaffe attempting to hit industry on the Clyde. 

Yup. That was about half an hour later on the same night, 13th March, the first night of the Clydebank bombing. The Glasgow bombs were dispersed, often not specifically targetted and designed to confuse, terrorise and divert resources from Clydebank, (rather than hit Glasgow industry), which was obviously the main target for more concentrated bombing. 

Don't know which ones exactly would mean, but Airlie Drive, Dudley Drive, an old mansion on Turnberry Road, Queensborough Gdns were all hit on the same night. 36 died at Airlie Street and a family vaporized on Turnberry.

The Peel Street one was dropped by one plane IIRC. It dropped a parachute mine and 5 bombs, hitting, Peel Street, Hayburn Street, Sandy Road and Dumbarton Road nearby.

Same night 69 died in Linthouse where the garage is now, 110 in Nelson Street, 67 at the Yarrow offices in Scotstoun and 66 in Earl Street. The Drum, Knightswood and Maryhill were badly hit the following night. The worst being at Kilmun Street, just off Maryhill Road where 83 died. 

The worst individual incidents were usually mines. But as I say, it was all a side show for Clydebank.

14 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Yup. That was about half an hour later on the same night, 13th March, the first night of the Clydebank bombing. The Glasgow bombs were dispersed, often to specifically targetted and designed to confuse, terrorise and divert resources from Clydebank, (rather than hit Glasgow industry), which was obviously the main target for more concentrated bombing. 

Don't know which ones exactly would mean, but Airlie Drive, Dudley Drive, an old mansion on Turnberry Road, Queensborough Gdns were all hit on the same night. 36 died at Airlie Street and a family vaporized on Turnberry.

The Peel Street one was dropped by one plane IIRC. It dropped a parachute mine and 5 bombs, hitting, Peel Street, Hayburn Street, Sandy Road and Dumbarton Road nearby.

Same night 69 died in Linthouse where the garage is now, 110 in Nelson Street, 67 at the Yarrow offices in Scotstoun and 66 in Earl Street. The Drum, Knightswood and Maryhill were badly hit the following night. The worst being at Kilmun Street, just off Maryhill Road where 83 died. 

The worst individual incidents were usually mines. But as I say, it was all a side show for Clydebank.

I think it's easy to forget the war was fought right here. 

The buildings I'm talking about are Prince Albert Road at the corner of Sydenham road and Crown Road just along from Epicures. 

The BA Smelter in Fort William was hit as well but the the bomb that hit the actual factory didn't detonate. Must've been bizarre seeing German bombers in the West Highlands.

7 minutes ago, gsa said:

I think it's easy to forget the war was fought right here. 

The buildings I'm talking about are Prince Albert Road at the corner of Sydenham road and Crown Road just along from Epicures. 

The BA Smelter in Fort William was hit as well but the the bomb that hit the actual factory didn't detonate. Must've been bizarre seeing German bombers in the West Highlands.

Yeah, that was hit. Where the red brick modern build is.