State of squad

Boyd9her

14 minutes ago, HG5 said:

To be fair, we’ve added 2 with a combined age of 70 since then, both of whom upped the average on Wednesday!

That’s true but I think we needed that experience in the squad. I think far too much is being made of the age of the squad tbh.

57 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

That’s true but I think we needed that experience in the squad. I think far too much is being made of the age of the squad tbh.

We should benefit from these guys experience - one of those things where it’ll be great as long as it’s going well!!

More to the point is throwing in the 2 guys in question, at one of the trickier away venues, when neither have had a great deal of top level football recently.

Age thing isn't a worry but I find it worrying how we are struggling to find players with the mentality we need.

Ever since 2011 we've had squads who just don't care, I'm not sure I'd say that about this lot but their arrogance/complacency is a disgrace and will cost us the league imo

7 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Is he?

In my opinion he appeared to be yes. Declining abilities from previous years, which was probably a factor in why he was allowed to sign for us. And then was not making the impact that might have been expected. 

Do you think he was either improving as a player or maintaining the level he was previously at? 

53 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Thems  the rules, win and we’re World beaters, lose and it’s time to sack every cunt from Dave King to Broxifuckinbear.

There is no need to bring broxibear into this, he gives his all, all of the time.

30 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

In my opinion he appeared to be yes. Declining abilities from previous years, which was probably a factor in why he was allowed to sign for us. And then was not making the impact that might have been expected. 

Do you think he was either improving as a player or maintaining the level he was previously at? 

I think he was good during his loan spell but started the season poorly before he got injured. Wouldn't say he was on the decline at all. His injury may change that though.

37 minutes ago, Smile said:

Our problem is not the team we have an inexperienced manager who changes things for the sake of it.

It's both

2 hours ago, Gman36 said:

Of course but that's one player. And were there a host of other older players in the team? Pedro mendes maybe, but then his game wasn't based on mobility.

Clint Hill was great too. McAuley looks a decent enough CB and a good squad player. 

It's not the individuals, it's loading the team up with that type of player that's the problem. That's why I'd include arfield in the discussion because he's looks to be a player who's mobility is on the decline, and he is becoming injury prone. 

Arfield’s mobility is on the decline and he’s injury prone.

For the love of god that’s just made up pish. 

I remember when players lasted till they were 33/34 and to get them st 28-30 you were getting them at their peak, I don’t understand cunts that talk absolute dug shite by saying players are done at 30-32

the reasons we have a couple of older guys is because players play a lot later now if they avoid serious injuries

claudio caniggia was 35/36 and a quality player, who played a position where pace mattered and we got a few years out of him

of the older boys I’d say McCauley needs to be let go at the end of the season. Davis, Mcgregor & Defoe are the next oldest and I doubt any of them will struggle to go on for another season at least, as for the rest fucking behave yourselves!

we are not even as consistent as a piss poor Kilmarnock team but if that’s down to the older boys we’ve signed then what was the excuse for not being as consistent as them at the start of 2018 before they were signed 

Strategy is sound.

We have to put a team out on the park to compete in the here and now (addition of experience and quality) Davis & Defoe.

Loan players to fill the squad in short term whilst we sign others for next season (Jones & Kamara)

Only 2 windows and we have a decent squad with much more depth and a number of players worth a bit of money. Got to say we are in a much better footing than we were with Pedro.

Budget isn't there to make the type of changes the gaffer would like to make so it has to be managed over time.