Champions league v Europa league

hammer93

As much as the champions league riches is what we aspire for is it really the best scenario for us nowadays?

Looking at last season we made around 14million in our Europa run, I'm assuming that included gate receipts from all our 7 home games, not the worst money and with qualification from the group stages their is potential for that figure to reach the 20million mark....I guess the point I'm making is, the champions league is a closed shop these days, it's designed for the cash rich clubs to get richer and for me the whole set up is boring to watch now....same teams playing each other year on year now.

Do we as a support want to qualify for the champions league for say an extra 10/12 million but realistically get pumped and very rarely compete or do we embrace a competition which is clearly now on our level....the feel good factor in packing out Ibrox and actually winning in Europe is surely a bigger positive that the extra money with zero chance of progress...thoughts?

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yes. Take qualification in a heartbeat.

Is that solely for the extra money or the supposed glamour that the champions league brings...I'm being honest bud I've never felt so far away from being a champions league club in all my years....I genuinely think it's a poor advert for the competition when the group stages see so many gubbings, I'm genuinely enjoying playing in Europe with an attitude that we can get a result....I'm struggling to see that scenario in the champions league nowadays 

Did you not watch the game last night???

We've shown this year and last that we can compete against CL teams.

Plus finish 3rd and we end up in the Europa anyway.

Otherwise we may find that we can't (Scotland) qualify for places at the big table.

4 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

Big fish small pond or small fish big pond.

Ill take the latter and a real fucking challenge anyday.

The thing is it's never a real challenge nowadays.....the competition is too far gone for us to challenge.....I used to love the champions league nights....even in the 90s when we suffered many a defeat their was still a magic about the competition.....I just don't get it now if I'm being honest....Ajax last season was the 1st in a long time that the competition had that bit of magic to it

13 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

As much as the champions league riches is what we aspire for is it really the best scenario for us nowadays?

Looking at last season we made around 14million in our Europa run, I'm assuming that included gate receipts from all our 7 home games, not the worst money and with qualification from the group stages their is potential for that figure to reach the 20million mark....I guess the point I'm making is, the champions league is a closed shop these days, it's designed for the cash rich clubs to get richer and for me the whole set up is boring to watch now....same teams playing each other year on year now.

Do we as a support want to qualify for the champions league for say an extra 10/12 million but realistically get pumped and very rarely compete or do we embrace a competition which is clearly now on our level....the feel good factor in packing out Ibrox and actually winning in Europe is surely a bigger positive that the extra money with zero chance of progress...thoughts?

I see where you are coming from but qualification for CL group stages is a guaranteed c. 35m.  Once in there if you ask me if I would take reaching the last 16 and get knocked out versus coming third in the group followed by a run in the knockout stages of Europa I might opt for the latter.  That would maximise revenue, co efficient and our profile on the European stage. 

Got to be the CL.

I also don't think we're getting pumped either. Gerrard well knows what is needed and will set us up accordingly within our means of course.

TBH I think Dave King would have a heart attack at the thought of CL money! 😂

Think he would free up good funds to back Gerrard in it.

Lastly it further strengthens the brand to what it was and more with Gerrard at the helm. We need to compete in it and grow within it.

7 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Is that solely for the extra money or the supposed glamour that the champions league brings...I'm being honest bud I've never felt so far away from being a champions league club in all my years....I genuinely think it's a poor advert for the competition when the group stages see so many gubbings, I'm genuinely enjoying playing in Europe with an attitude that we can get a result....I'm struggling to see that scenario in the champions league nowadays 

Firstly the money is a game changer for us.

You then consider the quslity of player we could attract, and also whether it could encourage our better players ie Alfie, to stay longer.

We are competing well against typical CL teams. As are the scum who are of a similar standard to us. So whilst the top teams might pump us, is it really any worse than previously when we faced the elite?

It's a no brainer imo.

1 minute ago, Brubear said:

I see where you are coming from but qualification for CL group stages is a guaranteed c. 35m.  Once in there if you ask me if I would take reaching the last 16 and get knocked out versus coming third in the group followed by a run in the knockout stages of Europa I might opt for the latter.  That would maximise revenue, co efficient and our profile on the European stage. 

I totally get the money thing but I can see getting gubbed 4,5-0 far enough m8....picking yourself up after a heavy defeat in Europe was never easy....I'm just thinking of the laughs we have had at the beasts expense at getting pumped....I suppose you get well paid for humiliation 

2 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

I totally get the money thing but I can see getting gubbed 4,5-0 far enough m8....picking yourself up after a heavy defeat in Europe was never easy....I'm just thinking of the laughs we have had at the beasts expense at getting pumped....I suppose you get well paid for humiliation 

Theyve also qualified for the latter stages. 

Think you're unjustly negative to what we could do especially given our results this season and last against teams in the EL but of CL standard.

We've been nowhere near a 4 or 5 nil gubbing mate.

We are a CL club and see if in the next couple of seasons once we’re finally back to where we should be, if we don’t qualify for the CL I’ll be fucking raging.  I mind the EL used to be a gutter when we made that instead of the CL, I can accept EL football for now,  but in the next couple of seasons no, CL is where we need to be. 

Champions League definitely for the money, the prestige, the schedule and the players we will be able to attract.

I also don't think we'd get pumped on the regular the way celtic did a couple of years ago. For as much as a decent manager Rodgers is he was extremely naive in Europe and that is something Gerrard is proving more and more in Europe he isn't!

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Theyve also qualified for the latter stages. 

Think you're unjustly negative to what we could do especially given our results this season and last against teams in the EL but of CL standard.

Not recently though,  I totally get the money issue and the initial buzz when we eventually take the field on a champions league night but I think people are getting carried away with how well we could compete especially using this group as an example....only Porto are rated better than a 4th seed team out that group, imagine we were slavia Prague....ironically that could have been the bheasts....yes what a glamorous group but realistically what would we achieve from a group like that other than the money?

38 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Sooner or later out seeding  will rise 

That means we could be playing some unattractive ties in this competition .Even being humbled by some unfancied sides .

To aspire to greatness .We have to compete with the best .No brainier for me .Champions league all day long 

10 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Not recently though,  I totally get the money issue and the initial buzz when we eventually take the field on a champions league night but I think people are getting carried away with how well we could compete especially using this group as an example....only Porto are rated better than a 4th seed team out that group, imagine we were slavia Prague....ironically that could have been the bheasts....yes what a glamorous group but realistically what would we achieve from a group like that other than the money?

Theres little difference between good EL teams and the non elite CL teams. If you're basing an argument on seedlings then you're mad.

We're not going to win it, nor do well in the last 16 but the riches that would come from qualifying for the initial group stages would take us closer to being a team that could compete stronger. We're not a team that's gonna get 4or 5 nil gubbings easily or regularly until we face the very best in Europe.

Edit. Scum qualified for last 16 3 times in last 13 years. I'll take that ratio any day.

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Theres little difference between good EL teams and the non elite CL teams. If you're basing an argument on seedlings then you're mad.

We're not going to win it, nor do well in the last 16 but the riches that would come from qualifying for the initial group stages would take us closer to being a team that could compete stronger. We're not a team that's gonna get 4or 5 nil gubbings easily or regularly until we face the very best in Europe.

Edit. Scum qualified for last 16 3 times in last 13 years. I'll take that ratio any day.

None in the last 7 years tho....that's the ratio that worries me....the whole point of this thread is the significant gulf in class that has arisen in the last 4/5 seasons which makes the champions league less inviting money aside 

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Remember when the likes of Juve were taking 4 off us and we all wanted to be in the UEFA cup rather than CL.

Said no one, ever

It wasn't a very enjoyable experience at the time but I genuinely loved the format of the tournament in those days

Archived