Leon King

6superbarry6

Tough one as there will be huge opportunities at Ibrox for kids with talent. But on the other hand, he'll see how well Gilmour has progressed at a big Englidh club, whilst also getting financially rewarded at a far higher level.

Hopefully we offer enough financially to match what he's looking for, and then the playing opportunities come for him and are taken. Tbh think we'll need to sell first for that to be the case. He's meant to be a right good prospect, hope a win win solution is found.

3 minutes ago, adam2102 said:

If we keep losing our best players then there isn’t really much point to our academy. 

It's nothing we don't do to clubs up and down the country. That'll be two boys just turned sixteen we've lost in four years. Hardly reason to shut the Academy.

Chelsea are restructuring - the years of financial doping is coming to an end they claim and a new focus on development from their youth academy (&others) is the future. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7506931/Chelsea-news-incredible-academy-set-Frank-Lampards-youth-revolution.html

Just now, WATP-FOREVER said:

Chelsea are restructuring - the years of financial doping is coming to an end they claim and a new focus on development from their youth academy (&others) is the future. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7506931/Chelsea-news-incredible-academy-set-Frank-Lampards-youth-revolution.html

If they never had a transfer ban Lampard would have been nowhere near the job, so they have stumbled on that formula by default.

11 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Tough one as there will be huge opportunities at Ibrox for kids with talent. But on the other hand, he'll see how well Gilmour has progressed at a big Englidh club, whilst also getting financially rewarded at a far higher level.

Hopefully we offer enough financially to match what he's looking for, and then the playing opportunities come for him and are taken. Tbh think we'll need to sell first for that to be the case. He's meant to be a right good prospect, hope a win win solution is found.

There’s no real established pathway to the first team here for kids. We can’t point to anyone here who is getting opportunities. We’ve decided that we will take guys who will never get in Liverpool’s first team on loan before playing our own kids.

If he goes to Chelsea and he’s good he’ll get loaned to Vitesse which is a step up from anything we can offer. RB Leipzig who are interested in him have a policy of signing no one older than 25. In Billy Gilmour he has someone who he can point to who has came away from us, made a lot of money and been given opportunities we can’t offer.

If we want to keep our youngsters longer to make us money we have to show them that staying at Rangers until they are 23/24 is good for their career.

It always comes down to cash , nobody gives a flying fuck about loyalty these days. If we offer him enough cash he stays , if we dont he will go to whoever gives him the most cash. A far higher percentage of youngsters fail when they move on , wont be losing sleep over this one.......

16 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

It always comes down to cash , nobody gives a flying fuck about loyalty these days. If we offer him enough cash he stays , if we dont he will go to whoever gives him the most cash. A far higher percentage of youngsters fail when they move on , wont be losing sleep over this one.......

Why should a 16 year old be loyal?

29 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

There’s no real established pathway to the first team here for kids. We can’t point to anyone here who is getting opportunities. We’ve decided that we will take guys who will never get in Liverpool’s first team on loan before playing our own kids.

If he goes to Chelsea and he’s good he’ll get loaned to Vitesse which is a step up from anything we can offer. RB Leipzig who are interested in him have a policy of signing no one older than 25. In Billy Gilmour he has someone who he can point to who has came away from us, made a lot of money and been given opportunities we can’t offer.

If we want to keep our youngsters longer to make us money we have to show them that staying at Rangers until they are 23/24 is good for their career.

I'd say though given our finances, structure, investment in youth development and what Gerrard has said then this is probably the best time for cream of the crop youth to succeed here. Arguably the biggest opportunity for youths in my lifetime (ignoring the Mccoist managerial reign which could/should have offered more). We cant show examples yet, but I think we'll soon see more kids permanently in our squad/team replacing the likes of Halliday, Murphy, Flanagan etc as they all go out if contract. And I think we'll soon stop temp loaning the likes of Ojo when our own kids are that bit further on their current pathways.

Not long ago I'd have said no chance to me letting my kid signing for Rangers as there was no chance they'd break through. Now, if my kid was top level, I'd be really interested in the club due to how kids are developing. The next hurdle of breaking through is the hardest, but I genuinely think there's several on the periphery who will succeed.

14 minutes ago, pollok-bear said:

I am surprised his full family are diehard Rangers fans and so is he. 

He's not signed the very 1st one put to him.

I'm pretty sure there'll be an element of trying to get more from a contract too. Nothing wrong with that, I'm sure it's pretty standard in football.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'd say though given our finances, structure, investment in youth development and what Gerrard has said then this is probably the best time for cream of the crop youth to succeed here. Arguably the biggest opportunity for youths in my lifetime (ignoring the Mccoist managerial reign which could/should have offered more). We cant show examples yet, but I think we'll soon see more kids permanently in our squad/team replacing the likes of Halliday, Murphy, Flanagan etc as they all go out if contract. And I think we'll soon stop temp loaning the likes of Ojo when our own kids are that bit further on their current pathways.

Not long ago I'd have said no chance to me letting my kid signing for Rangers as there was no chance they'd break through. Now, if my kid was top level, I'd be really interested in the club due to how kids are developing. The next hurdle of breaking through is the hardest, but I genuinely think there's several on the periphery who will succeed.

Genuinely think McCoist gets a bad rap. He had more youth team players in the first team than at any other point in my life time.

Perry, Hutton, Aird, Crawford, Naismith, McKay, Macleod, Hegarty, Little off the top of my head.

His biggest problem was the size of contracts given to shite like Kevin Kyle.

One of the big things for me is the current size of the squad and the lack of youth players in it. We have a smaller European squad because only Allan McGregor makes the trained at club quota. It’s ridiculous that out of 25 players we only have one youth graduate.

1 hour ago, pcbear said:

If they never had a transfer ban Lampard would have been nowhere near the job, so they have stumbled on that formula by default.

It's amazing how they are being praised for playing academy graduates because of their own shady transfer practices in the past. And when the ban is lifted, there's no way they'll be able to resist spunking cash on famous names again.

Mason Mount at Everton in two years.

12 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Genuinely think McCoist gets a bad rap. He had more youth team players in the first team than at any other point in my life time.

Perry, Hutton, Aird, Crawford, Naismith, McKay, Macleod, Hegarty, Little off the top of my head.

His biggest problem was the size of contracts given to shite like Kevin Kyle.

One of the big things for me is the current size of the squad and the lack of youth players in it. We have a smaller European squad because only Allan McGregor makes the trained at club quota. It’s ridiculous that out of 25 players we only have one youth graduate.

Dont want to derail the thread, but it's more the fact with mccoist that none really established themselves as mainstays for the years ahead. Prob due to his shit management and the youths being poorer calibre than those we have now than them not getting game time. Anyways, really don't want to revisit that era in any depth 😂.

I'm excited by what's happening at youth /colt levels and really believe some will come through soon and become 1st picks.

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

We offered Gilmour more per week than Chelsea did

Archived