Manager to take us forward, who?

pcbear

12 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

How many novice managers can one club have in nine years, McCoist, Murty, Gerrard...Duncan Ferguson.

I appreciate you're thinking outside the box but I don't think we need to try and reinvent the wheel here, if we need another manager this summer I want an experienced manager who has managed at a high level for a number of years, one who is motivated by a grave challange and one who has a history of building good, solid well organised teams.

My preference too if I’m honest, the scum is in the position they are today because they spent big on wages and got a decent manager in. Our board doesn’t have the foresight to do that though and as such thinking outside the box Ferguson might be a decent option. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

My preference too if I’m honest, the scum is in the position they are today because they spent big on wages and got a decent manager in. Our board doesn’t have the foresight to do that though and as such thinking outside the box Ferguson might be a decent option. 

Our board record in appointments is enough to give anyone the fear should a new manager end up required. 

The main difference this time for me is wilson in the DOF position.  You would like to think he can be ambitious and find us a stronger option than another novice.

22 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

How many novice managers can one club have in nine years, McCoist, Murty, Gerrard...Duncan Ferguson.

I appreciate you're thinking outside the box but I don't think we need to try and reinvent the wheel here, if we need another manager this summer I want an experienced manager who has managed at a high level for a number of years, one who is motivated by a grave challange and one who has a history of building good, solid well organised teams.

Souness and Walter were novice managers and look how that turned out.

In order to win games against hammer throwers in our country? and set up well tactically (might not be pretty and wouldn't get a Europa run) but Big Sam Allardyce.  He was on Keys and Gray saying he hasnt managed in Scotland yet..and Rangers are a massive club. He would love to come up here even for 12 months and win a trophy. 

We all want to win the league. Big Sam could get us there.

Someone who plays youth players would be good in recent weeks it's unbelievable the management did not try and freshin things up with a couple of our best youngsters being involved .

The money wasted on guys who are either loaned out or just not in the squad  is shocking when you think of the number of other scots clubs regularly playing young players , you have to wonder why we never give ours a chance instead we loan players like Ojo,  who has had the odd good game rather than play Kennedy or Mebude which would benifit Rangers a lot more long term. 

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

We must be the biggest club in world football to have a subset of supporters who any time the managerial job comes up are fucking desperate to appoint a long ball merchant like Tony Pulis, Neil Warnock, Nigel Pearson or Sam Allardyce.

At least it isn’t Tommy Wright

2 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

I’d go after a Big Sam or Neil Warnock.

They’d turn the league into a scrap, have experience winning divisions with non glamorous football and have still had success relatively recently. 

Far from convinced either would have a clue how to deal with four+ Old Firm games a season

The names being mentioned are just depressing . 

I'd rather stick with what we got as much as the recent results hurt I just can't see us finding someone to replace our current manager who is of Rangers class . Howe is the man we should be looking to appoint but that's a big compensation fee probably , Gio with Barry as his assistant mibbe. 

5 minutes ago, peter huistra said:

I'd rather stick with what we got as much as the recent results hurt I just can't see us finding someone to replace our current manager who is of Rangers class . Howe is the man we should be looking to appoint but that's a big compensation fee probably , Gio with Barry as his assistant mibbe. 

How would flop here. Another manager who is too obsessed with nice tippy tally football and defenders who have to be able to be able to pass the ball better than they are able to defend.

11 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

How would flop here. Another manager who is too obsessed with nice tippy tally football and defenders who have to be able to be able to pass the ball better than they are able to defend.

Howe would he?

I'll get my coat.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Sick to fuck of this absolute myth.

Aberdeen and every other no-mark cunt of a club who punt it long and high at every opportunity must be storming Europe against all the nice tippy tappy football teams who can't play against a physical team.  Nope, the tippy tappy physically weak as piss Croatian team knocked them out 4-0.

The scum don't have a particularly physical team, we've won the physical battle in three of the last four against them.

You don't fucking need Neil Warnock centre halves as strikers hit the channel tactics to win in this fucking country.

Is every cunt's memory that short from the moaning about McCoist wanting everything on Daly's head, or Kevin fucking Kyle's?

We need better players in key positions - that's it. We don't need to revert to this Wimbledon of the late 80s and early 90s bullshit that far too many seem to want.

28 minutes ago, peter huistra said:

Gerrard is Rangers class? Rangers class is winning silverware and he’s had enough money to spend and he’s still nowhere near them.

A controversial point.

Lennon is outperforming Rodgers.

Lennon would probably get Leicester relegated.

We have outperformed them in Europe.

They will win the league.

Point is horses for courses.   We all hate Lennon but he understands what is needed to succeed in Scottish football.  

If SG is to succeed he needs to quickly learn what is needed week in week out to the beat hammer throwers.

54 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Sick to fuck of this absolute myth.

Aberdeen and every other no-mark cunt of a club who punt it long and high at every opportunity must be storming Europe against all the nice tippy tappy football teams who can't play against a physical team.  Nope, the tippy tappy physically weak as piss Croatian team knocked them out 4-0.

The scum don't have a particularly physical team, we've won the physical battle in three of the last four against them.

You don't fucking need Neil Warnock centre halves as strikers hit the channel tactics to win in this fucking country.

Is every cunt's memory that short from the moaning about McCoist wanting everything on Daly's head, or Kevin fucking Kyle's?

We need better players in key positions - that's it. We don't need to revert to this Wimbledon of the late 80s and early 90s bullshit that far too many seem to want.

No but you can go too far the other way where your team is powderpuff and weak and an Eddie Howe managed side would be exactly that, just like it is in England.

The Scum have Ajer, Jullien, Brown, Christie and Griffiths right down the spine of their side and they are all players who have that nasty streak to them when the game turns scrappy. Morelos aside who do we have that even tries to do that? Jack on occasions, sometimes Arfield.

The no mark clubs might not be storming Europe but how many times have we played more direct physical sides like Hearts, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock under Gerrard - particularly away from home - and won because it’s nowhere near enough. In recent weeks Kilmarnock and St Johnstone have both scored route one goals against us because we had centre halves playing who couldn’t win a simple header against players half their size.

Nobody with any sense wants us to turn into a total hoofball team like we were under McCoist, but at the same time people need to get over the obsession with always playing technical, pleasing on the eye Warburton-esque football too (people with short memories seem to forget that) but in Scottish Football you need to be able to mix up it a lot more than we are able to at the moment when teams get in your face. I don’t see how anybody who watches us regularly can even try to deny that. Hell our captain has had nothing but pelters today for basically saying the same thing in his programme notes yesterday.

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

No but you can go too far the other way where your team is powderpuff and weak and an Eddie Howe managed side would be exactly that, just like it is in England.

The Scum have Ajer, Jullien, Brown, Christie and Griffiths right down the spine of their side and they are all players who have that nasty streak to them when the game turns scrappy. Morelos aside who do we have that even tries to do that? Jack on occasions, sometimes Arfield.

The no mark clubs might not be storming Europe but how many times have we played more direct physical sides like Hearts, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock under Gerrard - particularly away from home - and won because it’s nowhere near enough. In recent weeks Kilmarnock and St Johnstone have both scored route one goals against us because we had centre halves playing who couldn’t win a simple header against players half their size.

Nobody with any sense wants us to turn into a total hoofball team like we were under McCoist, but at the same time people need to get over the obsession with always playing technical, pleasing on the eye Warburton-esque football too (people with short memories seem to forget that) but in Scottish Football you need to be able to mix up it a lot more than we are able to at the moment when teams get in your face. I don’t see how anybody who watches us regularly can even try to deny that. Hell our captain has had nothing but pelters today for basically saying the same thing in his programme notes yesterday.

We've no chance of Eddie Howe anyway unless he was sacked. No-one leaves the EPL for here.

But to play along, if Eddie Howe's Bournemouth side were playing in this league you don't think they would absolutely walk it?

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

We've no chance of Eddie Howe anyway unless he was sacked. No-one leaves the EPL for here.

But to play along, if Eddie Howe's Bournemouth side were playing in this league you don't think they would absolutely walk it?

Eddie Howe’s side probably would, because the sides up here are nowhere near as good as the ones that team plays in England are but I don’t know if Eddie Howe at a side with the demands we have working with a fraction of the money he has at Bournemouth would (and I know he did well at Bournemouth before he came into money too).

And FWIW I know we are never getting Howe, I was just playing along too.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Eddie Howe’s side probably would, because the sides up here are nowhere near as good as the ones that team plays in England are but I don’t know if Eddie Howe at a side with the demands we have working with a fraction of the money he has at Bournemouth would (and I know he did well at Bournemouth before he came into money too).

And FWIW I know we are never getting Howe, I was just playing along too.

Mate of course they would! Ake, Fraser, Wilson, King to name four would be better than more or less anyone playing up here.

The point I'm making really is that with good enough players you can win up here playing 'tippy tappy' football if you want to call it that. You have to be able to put your foot in of course, but I just strongly disagree with what seems like a growing feeling that we need to rip everything up and re-set with a Warnock/Pulis style manager who is going to play long ball percentage physical first football.

1 minute ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Mate of course they would! Ake, Fraser, Wilson, King to name four would be better than more or less anyone playing up here.

The point I'm making really is that with good enough players you can win up here playing 'tippy tappy' football if you want to call it that. You have to be able to put your foot in of course, but I just strongly disagree with what seems like a growing feeling that we need to rip everything up and re-set with a Warnock/Pulis style manager who is going to play long ball percentage physical first football.

See I don’t want that either, despite what some people  seem to think.

However I do want a manager who can tinker with the style of play and formation when needed to achieve results and players who can play the fancy stuff, but who are also capable of rolling the sleeves up and grinding it out when required.

If he has aspirations to be a manager for the long term then Gerrard will have learn to do that and he will as he gains more experience, but I don’t think it will be with us because people have already given up on him and that’s why I think a change is inevitable at this point and it’s why I think a lot of the players in our sides cards are marked too.

47 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Ajer a nasty streak?. Gies peace. My 92 yr old aunt could do him. Jullien isn't any harder. Both are powderpuffs.

Goldson is as bad, at least Katic and Big George have some balls about them.

I can't bear the thought of chopping and changing again or another complete build if a new manager comes in. I'd rather stick with SG based on his Euro success and let him have a little more time to find a solution to the domestic competitions. 

Archived