SPFL Shambles

dummiesoot

5 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

It's already going that way, the Sky deal has turned into a farce at best, Doncaster & co have effectively handed Sky the game up here for fuck knows how long on a shoestring deal that they wanted to have a song and dance about only a few months ago. 

The fact you still have teams and indeed fans of other clubs quite happy to tow the party line makes it even worse, I would actually be quite happy if half the teams in this hellhole of a country folded. 

The Sky deal is worth £32m per year for five years originally. SPFL are paying back approx £300k per year for the duration. 

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rangers actually want this to happen so we can demand an independent enquiry. Either way I honestly think the spfl are fucked 👏🏻🤞🏻

They have been fucked for a while ,there is no appetite to remove them other than us ,maybe Aberdeen and maybe Hearts ,

Its probably going to have to take 2 or more clubs to go into admin for there to be enough support to remove them ,remember it’s 75 fucking percent that’s needed 🙄

1 hour ago, magic8ball said:

If it doesn’t get to court full transparency is required for the clubs to see why the board settled out of court with “their” future funding ,I don’t see them allowing that so we should be back to calling for another EGM for a full independent enquiry .

I don’t think it’s Hearts intention to delay the season to me they just want full compensation,If the season is delayed then there are going to be more that Hivs and the sheep in trouble from the group of professional clubs ,Irony being if we do start later in the season then they will make more money as they will then be playing less games BCD

This desperation to start on Aug 1st could actually end up being a bigger own goal from Scottish football than the Setanta farce and the decision to boot us out the SPL

If Hearts want compensation and will accept relegation they have no incentive to resolve this by start of premier season as championship doesn't start until Oct. Thay have until then to resolve it, the SPFL board dont. 

24 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

They have been fucked for a while ,there is no appetite to remove them other than us ,maybe Aberdeen and maybe Hearts ,

Its probably going to have to take 2 or more clubs to go into admin for there to be enough support to remove them ,remember it’s 75 fucking percent that’s needed 🙄

If the judge tosses the written resolution out then no titles and no relegations. Effectively null and void.

Time then for a vote of no confidence.

51 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The Sky deal is worth £32m per year for five years originally. SPFL are paying back approx £300k per year for the duration. 

Thought the spfl has given away naming rights to Sky as well which is another chunk of money lost.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Robbie Neilson spent 13 years at Hearts as a player, then went on to manage them. I think there might be a slight attachment there. 

If Hearts are in the Premiership then Daniel Stendel still has two years on his contract as manager. 

I'm aware of the connection, thanks.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

So effectively £30.5m over five years - equivalent to  £6.1m per season and not included is the loss of naming rights for the duration?  No idea on the value of the lost naming rights but even if it's minimal, this doesn't seem like a very good deal at all.

9 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

If the judge tosses the written resolution out then no titles and no relegations. Effectively null and void.

Time then for a vote of no confidence.

It should be time for a vote of no confidence. 

But you can't predict the way other scottish clubs think. Some seem content to let this clown organisation continue running the game into the ground. 

8 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Thought the spfl has given away naming rights to Sky as well which is another chunk of money lost.

They will - but that wont affect the TV deal and is somewhere around 1m (ish) per year. So even taking it away from the TV deal it's not a massive amount.

2 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

So effectively £30.5m over five years - equivalent to  £6.1m per season and not included is the loss of naming rights for the duration?  No idea on the value of the lost naming rights but even if it's minimal, this doesn't seem like a very good deal at all.

No, 158m over five years. If you want to include the naming rights, it goes down from 158m over five years to around 156m over five years.

11 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I'm aware of the connection, thanks.

I wasn't sure because you seemed to be wondering why he'd returned to Hearts.

15 hours ago, British_Empire said:

what I'm asking myself is, why would Robbie Neilson give up Premiership management with Dundee United, to drop back down to the Championship with Hearts

11 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

It should be time for a vote of no confidence. 

But you can't predict the way other scottish clubs think. Some seem content to let this clown organisation continue running the game into the ground. 

Far too many couldn’t care less that’s the problem ,Doesn’t make a huge difference to many clubs how much they receive from the SPFL 

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They will - but that wont affect the TV deal and is somewhere around 1m (ish) per year. So even taking it away from the TV deal it's not a massive amount.

No, 158m over five years. If you want to include the naming rights, it goes down from 158m over five years to around 156m over five years.

To Scottish football it is a massive amount. We are struggling to help clubs as it is. Around £7m over 5 years is significant, no matter how the spfl try to sell it.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I wasn't sure because you seemed to be wondering why he'd returned to Hearts.

Was only thinking it out loud - it's not beyond the realms of possibility, but it got me thinking if he had some assurances of what division they'd be in. 

Maybe nowhere near the same comparison and it's on the extreme end but so-called Rangers folk Davis, McGregor, Lafferty, Naismith left us without assurances of the league Rangers would be in so everyone's different.

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ah right, apologies, misread the earlier email.  Doesn't seem so bad then.  

Couldn't possibly say if that's the best market value in the circumstances or not, but it doesn't seem bad for the shite product we deliver.

4 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

To Scottish football it is a massive amount. We are struggling to help clubs as it is. Around £7m over 5 years is significant, no matter how the spfl try to sell it.

How much should the naming rights have been sold for in a healthy environment,And I mean healthy as in trust in the system 

There is also the amount of money that the mid and lower tier Premier clubs are going to lose from playing behind closed doors earlier than they should need to ,

I know that an amateur looking at something he barely understands is a recipe for disaster. However.

Next step will be the respondents providing their answers to the petition (Wednesday). Hearts/Thistle then respond in turn and probably make adjustments (including additions) to the petition and seeking evidence, perhaps calling for affidavits and a commission for provision of documentation. Costs start to ramp up here. That's when it gets expensive. No problem to Hearts/Thistle as they are fully funded but to the SPFL ?

4 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

It's hardly the 'shoestring' deal claimed either. IIRC, even allowing for the losses, they still make more per season than they did in the deal just finished with Sky/BT

2 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

How much should the naming rights have been sold for in a healthy environment,And I mean healthy as in trust in the system 

There is also the amount of money that the mid and lower tier Premier clubs are going to lose from playing behind closed doors earlier than they should need to ,

Ladbrokes paid around £1.5m to sponsor all four leagues.

6 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Ah right, apologies, misread the earlier email.  Doesn't seem so bad then.  

Couldn't possibly say if that's the best market value in the circumstances or not, but it doesn't seem bad for the shite product we deliver.

The product is still vastly undersold ,No other league of similar size has a fixture that this country has ,nowhere near it ,Even in Holland the Ajax v Feyenoord has far less international appeal 

We get about the same money as Denmark and they don’t have any appeal outside their own country 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Ladbrokes paid around £1.5m to sponsor all four leagues.

Was that per year ,we should still have been looking for more ,I know that we are trying to stay away from gambling and alcohol brands and haven’t been allowed tobacco brands for years but the league should be branded far better than it is 

https://scottishfsa.org/can-a-snake-eat-itself/

Can a snake eat itself?

Date: 22nd June 2020

Can a snake eat itself?

As I looked over and pondered the news that Hearts and Partick Thistle had not only launched legal action against the SPFL but that the SFA had suggested that they might launch some form of retaliatory action against the two clubs, I wondered if a body could implode in nature as much as it is being nurtured to do here.

Both clubs are right to take legal action if they feel that rules have been broken and they have been treated unfairly. They obviously do not lay much store by the internal processes of the SPFL, nor the sporting route to settle disputes as they have gone directly to the Court of Session to lodge their grievance.

The SFA response has been suitably outraged and outrageous. Football has previous for suggesting that it alone should decide maters within itself. Frequently when there is some kind of wrong -doing they cry foul and expect everyone to realisethat the sovereign nature of their regulatory body should be the ultimate arbiter in any dispute.

Why?

Are there legally adept people at its centre who can make sense of the nonsensical?

Are there people who have at their heart not just the good of the game but justice itself?

Having been up at one or two panels for miscreants held by the SFA and conducted through their Compliance Officer, in the words of an old teacher of mine – I hae ma doubts…

The civil war being wreaked upon our institutions does not help the cause of sponsorship or the promotion of the game is as self-evident a truth as the right of Cove Rangers, Dundee United and Raith Rovers to feel aggrieved that they have been given joy and then asked to haud oan a wee minute cos we might have called out the wrong name at the awards ceremony.

For at least two of these clubs their winning the league title was, like celtic and Liverpool, the likely outcome and only a matter of time but Raith may be called to account as they won it by a formula that all right thinking people could suggest was a little fortuitous – certainly all those in Falkirk would.

To have money thrown at the coffers of legal firms whilst bail outs are being handled by a man with cash to spare and who is doing it all as a charitable gesture adds sufficient disharmony to the mix to highlight once again just how lacking we are of true leadership.

And that is not a dig at only the SFA…

It’s a dig at the state of football and the clubs themselves for they have only themselves to blame.

They created the formula and have stuck to it. Any opportunity for real change cannot come because what they have established is a system that needs so much compliance, so much agreement and so much by way of acceptance that it abuses those minorities with whom they disagree.

They set it up and by their hands they should suffer?

Not if the rules have been broken and as it stands there is evidence, they might well have been. The SFA need someone to come in and get them tellt. It looks like it shall be a legal eagle who will and that is a shame.

It’s a shame for the supporters of Cove, Dundee United and Raith because they deserve better. So too do the fans of Hearts, Stranraer and Falkirk. And Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers.

In fact we all do.

As to the question I posed at the beginning – yes it can, as we are about, in Scottish football, to witness.

Archived