Gaffer on transfers

KingKirk

We need another forward. Maybe a loan like Brewster. 

I think we need a character/captain added to the team. I honestly don't think we'll win this league with Tav as captain unfortunately, he's going to keep the armband for as long as he stays. We need another big character ideally in the centre to lead by example. 

Although I don't really rate any of our CBs I think they'll be fine.

Hoping that Aribo lives up to the hype he came with, if he comes good that's a 10m midfielder there.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

I think this is fair.

We clearly base our style on Liverpool but we don’t have goals from our wider players like Liverpool do with Mane/Salah. 

I do sometimes wonder if Morelos is the cause of and solution to that problem though. He’s like a crutch we have gotten used to relying on. Would we be better off getting rid and using the money to sort out other areas, bringing in a ‘clever’ forward more like Firmino?

If a big money bid comes in then morelos will be off. We all know that.  A false 9 style striker isn't a bad shout tbf as a replacement. 

If morelos stays I think he could play that role in certain games. Encourage him to drop a bit deeper,  draw out defenders and let the other 2 get into dangerous areas.  I remember him doing this at ibrox when we pumped Aberdeen 5-0. Drawing 1-2 to him giving opening for others. 

It relies however on the other 2 being more direct and central. Hagi seems comfortable but Kent has had issues in this role. 

3 hours ago, Creampuff said:

We have a defence that generally play well. We concede some goals through individual errors but not materially more than most other sides, I’d wager. 

You’ll never get the number of goals conceded down to defensive errors down to zero. Most goals are someone’s fault.

Fair enough mate and the goals conceded in the league make it hard for me to argue against you, but I clearly remember on quite a number of occasions in the last two years the support largely wanting both Tav and Goldson dropped, with everyone not being sure which partnership worked in the middle of defence.

Barisic is the only player in our back four that I would say I genuinely rate 

12 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Happens with all managers mate, it's a human flaw.

People are always going to have favourites in all walks of life and clearly because of this he blinds himself to their mistakes and brushes them off.

Your right mate and all managers do have favorites/go to players. 

However your successful managers have that ruthlessness to drop them if they are hurting the rest of the side. Seeing the bigger picture. 

Gerrard hasn't done that and I honestly believe if he doesn't start then it will be his downfall. 

I like Morelos but because of how much we could get for him, and our lack of movement in this window, I think if he stays it could very well jeopardise our push for the league.

Weird as he’s one of our best players, but we could strengthen very well in two other places  as well as getting a replacement in for his position.

Shite situation to be in, but he is not very prolific in the league anyway and imo it should be easy enough to replace his league goals.

It would fuck us in Europe though, because those goals certainly are not easily replaced as he was out stand out performer almost every game.

1 minute ago, Swally said:

I like Morelos but because of how much we could get for him, and our lack of movement in this window, I think if he stays it could very well jeopardise our push for the league.

Weird as he’s one of our best players, but we could strengthen very well in two other places  as well as getting a replacement in for his position.

Shite situation to be in, but he is not very prolific in the league anyway and imo it should be easy enough to replace his league goals.

It would fuck us in Europe though, because those goals certainly are not easily replaced as he was out stand out performer almost every game.

The issue with that is replacing what Morelos brings to the team all round. Apparently if Morelos goes then Roofe is his replacement. Can he bring to the team what Morelos does? I have my doubts.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The issue with that is replacing what Morelos brings to the team all round. Apparently if Morelos goes then Roofe is his replacement. Can he bring to the team what Morelos does? I have my doubts.

I’m not a big fan of roofe tbh. I know what you mean.

But in order to assess him properly you have to bring both positives and negatives to the table.

Morelos is great for bullying defenders, he’s great working up front alone and has an amazing physical presence - he is the ideal target man. I know some might disagree, but I do think he’s skilful on the ball, his awareness is excellent and so is his drive and work rate. He also tends to stay fit and isn’t prone to injury.

Morelos’s mentality is questionable, he is prone to having external matters effect him - remember his drop in performance when there was interest in signing him? He hasn’t scored against celtic, he has played what 11 games against them. This is an awful stat as the singular striker in the set up and one that could continue to cost us. Haven’t even mentioned he is a magnet to controversy, some of which is and is not his own fault.

While Morelos is in the team we are pretty much stuck with one system because he is poor at playing with another forward. This is quite debilitating and prevents us from having an effective plan B when bringing on another striker if we really need a goal. This happens quite often against teams parking the bus.

I’m sure I’ve missed more points from both the positive and negative outlooks. I guess you could say he’s not very loyal, his agent is constantly pushing to get him away from Rangers and he’s publicly stated the same opinion, but there doesn’t seem to be much loyalty in football these days, so that’s why I left that one out.

4 hours ago, Swally said:

I’m not a big fan of roofe tbh. I know what you mean.

But in order to assess him properly you have to bring both positives and negatives to the table.

Morelos is great for bullying defenders, he’s great working up front alone and has an amazing physical presence - he is the ideal target man. I know some might disagree, but I do think he’s skilful on the ball, his awareness is excellent and so is his drive and work rate. He also tends to stay fit and isn’t prone to injury.

Morelos’s mentality is questionable, he is prone to having external matters effect him - remember his drop in performance when there was interest in signing him? He hasn’t scored against celtic, he has played what 11 games against them. This is an awful stat as the singular striker in the set up and one that could continue to cost us. Haven’t even mentioned he is a magnet to controversy, some of which is and is not his own fault.

While Morelos is in the team we are pretty much stuck with one system because he is poor at playing with another forward. This is quite debilitating and prevents us from having an effective plan B when bringing on another striker if we really need a goal. This happens quite often against teams parking the bus.

I’m sure I’ve missed more points from both the positive and negative outlooks. I guess you could say he’s not very loyal, his agent is constantly pushing to get him away from Rangers and he’s publicly stated the same opinion, but there doesn’t seem to be much loyalty in football these days, so that’s why I left that one out.

Mate, how many goals did Kris Boyd score against the tarriers?  Alfie  is about bullying and ragdolling and tiring the cunts out. He opens things up for other players who hopefully score. I hope we keep him and he does get his goals against them. I think it’s only a matter of time. 

59 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Mate, how many goals did Kris Boyd score against the tarriers?  Alfie  is about bullying and ragdolling and tiring the cunts out. He opens things up for other players who hopefully score. I hope we keep him and he does get his goals against them. I think it’s only a matter of time. 

Kris Boyd was able to play alongside Kenny miller, who was able to score against the tarriers.

I was very fair in my assessment of Alfredo, like every player he has strengths and weaknesses. His goal scoring record doesn't come close to Kris Boyd in the league remember, so in the league I'd much rather have a Kris Boyd than an Alfredo.

I shouldn't have to say all the positives regarding a player to be critical of him, but I feel like I have to on here otherwise people jump in and defend the player.

It's a very strange situation indeed.

Seems like almost every single player everyone has a free reign to criticise him and call him a cunt, but dare point out one of Alfredos weaknesses! :lol:

We just have to be honest here, he's great at some things, shite at others.

Is he the best fit for us in Europe? DEFINITELY

Is he the best fit for us in the SPL? No

49 minutes ago, Swally said:

Kris Boyd was able to play alongside Kenny miller, who was able to score against the tarriers.

I was very fair in my assessment of Alfredo, like every player he has strengths and weaknesses. His goal scoring record doesn't come close to Kris Boyd in the league remember, so in the league I'd much rather have a Kris Boyd than an Alfredo.

I shouldn't have to say all the positives regarding a player to be critical of him, but I feel like I have to on here otherwise people jump in and defend the player.

Seems like almost every single player everyone has a free reign to criticise him and call him a cunt, but dare point out one of Alfredos weaknesses! :lol:

Tbf is Morelos was a clinical finisher he wouldn’t be playing his football in Scotland, we are far too reliant on Morelos for goals, we need much much more from our wide players Kent’s return last  season was a joke 

7 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Tbf is Morelos was a clinical finisher he wouldn’t be playing his football in Scotland, we are far too reliant on Morelos for goals, we need much much more from our wide players Kent’s return last  season was a joke 

Yep if we insist on a front 3 system like Liverpool.  Then all 3 players have to contribute. We need all 3 to be hitting double figures. 

1 hour ago, Swally said:

What you’re saying then is that we should have somebody up there beside Alfredo like Boyd had with Miller. Fair enough.  

11 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Yep if we insist on a front 3 system like Liverpool.  Then all 3 players have to contribute. We need all 3 to be hitting double figures. 

I’m not writing Kent off because I do believe he has the ability to do it but needs to up it seriously this season, same for Aribo, think Kent Aribo and Hagi’s form will have a massive bearing on the title race, get they 3 firing we’ll have a real chance 

6 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

What you’re saying then is that we should have somebody up there beside Alfredo like Boyd had with Miller. Fair enough.  

That would have been the ideal solution, however he's proven time and time again that he cannot work with someone else up front.

31 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

He is a clinical finisher, in europe!

I think he'd do very well in a league where the teams play open attacking football.

Sadly that's not Scotland.

He doesn't need to prove anything against quality opposition, he's done it time and time again abroad.

7 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

I’m not writing Kent off because I do believe he has the ability to do it but needs to up it seriously this season, same for Aribo, think Kent Aribo and Hagi’s form will have a massive bearing on the title race, get they 3 firing we’ll have a real chance 

I think with Kent and Aribo it's about finding consistency. We know they have performances in the locker,  we just need to see it every week rather than every few games.  

I'd like to see another right sided attacker brought in.  Hagi should be playing centrally.  But if sticking to just 3 up front we need better depth as options outside of kent and hagi aren't great. 

If we do mix up formation. We shouldn't be afraid to go with something like this at home against everyone behind the ball sides:

Morelos

Kent Hagi RW

Aribo Jack 

7 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I think with Kent and Aribo it's about finding consistency. We know they have performances in the locker,  we just need to see it every week rather than every few games.  

I'd like to see another right sided attacker brought in.  Hagi should be playing centrally.  But if sticking to just 3 up front we need better depth as options outside of kent and hagi aren't great. 

If we do mix up formation. We shouldn't be afraid to go with something like this at home against everyone behind the ball sides:

Morelos

Kent Hagi RW

Aribo Jack 

That’s what I would like to see in most SPFL games, Jack should be able to provide enough defensive cover and the rest can concentrate on breaking teams down, 3 defensive minded midfielders against the SPFL dross is madness and pays them far too much respect 

42 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Kent has taken some abuse for his lack of goals but his 6 could have easily been 10 by the end of the campaign, whilst it's hypothetical I don't think 10 goals is that bad providing you back that up with double figure assists....that was 2 games and 2 assists from kent,  funnily enough with him popping up on the right side of the park, maybe we should be playing him as a natural right winger?

On a side note without googling how many league goals do you reckon Davie Cooper scored in his Rangers career 

1 minute ago, hammer93 said:

Kent has taken some abuse for his lack of goals but his 6 could have easily been 10 by the end of the campaign, whilst it's hypothetical I don't think 10 goals is that bad providing you back that up with double figure assists....that was 2 games and 2 assists from kent,  funnily enough with him popping up on the right side of the park, maybe we should be playing him as a natural right winger?

On a side note without googling how many league goals do you reckon Davie Cooper scored in his Rangers career 

I think a player with Kent’s ability should be capable of more than 10 tbh, he should be well into double figures in goals and assists, look across the city at nae neck and Christie, that’s the major difference between the 2 sides imo, Cooper really not sure before my time I’d hazard a guess at 80 but he was playing as an out and out winger in a rigid 442 system mostly, not an inside forward/almost free role 

19 minutes ago, Swally said:

That would have been the ideal solution, however he's proven time and time again that he cannot work with someone else up front.

Who was the last player to play up top with him? And in what game? All this 2 up top talk is pointless anyway, Beale will never change his baby.

37 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I look at what we consider to be our 2 main threats and big money transfers in Kent and Hagi and neither of them fit into the role of a wide 3. 

Kent's ability is an old school winger, he makes beating a man looks so incredibly easy when he's on it and he'll chip in with a few goals.

Hagi isn't a wide man either, lacks the pace required. But he has the guile and ability to shoot in that central role.

It's madness to think (and I'm sure Gerrard will continue to do so) that we will continue with this Liverpoolesque formation and actually spend the majority of our budget year on year on players that don't fit the role!

6 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

I thought Lyon struggled at times with Kent and Hagi interchanging positions and wonder whether we plan to take that into competitive games.

4 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

I think a player with Kent’s ability should be capable of more than 10 tbh, he should be well into double figures in goals and assists, look across the city at nae neck and Christie, that’s the major difference between the 2 sides imo, Cooper really not sure before my time I’d hazard a guess at 80 but he was playing as an out and out winger in a rigid 442 system mostly, not an inside forward/almost free role 

I'd happily accept a mixture of 20/25 goals/assists each from Kent and Hagi, if Morelos is still with us we should be looking at a minimum 25 league goals, add in contributions from Defoe, Arfield & Aribo etc etc then we should easily be scoring 80+ league goals

Cooper scored 49 league goals in 12 seasons, at an average of roughly 4 league goals a season it's not exactly earth shattering numbers 😅

I would assume his assits would be through the roof mind you, just shows how the game is changing, kent will get slaughtered if he only scores 4 league goals next season 🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I thought Lyon struggled at times with Kent and Hagi interchanging positions and wonder whether we plan to take that into competitive games.

I hope so, i said the other night it was refreshing to see the two switch positions with Hagi moving between both sides and into the middle at times....teams will not be able to predict how we attack them as easily as last season....in saying that we still haven't lined up against a team that just wants to sit in

Archived