Gaffer on transfers

KingKirk

38 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No we arent according to gerrards system, he will not play with a central, behind the striker number 10, so de boer types wont be coming in

Worrying for me is him wanting to spend on a centre half, we dont need it, scotland is shite, bassey can cover there along with the other 3

Bassey looks strong physically, his positional sense at times was well dodgy.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Swally said:

I’d class Hagi as being or at least having the potential to be our best player.

Playing your best player out of position in all of our games in order to shoehorn him into a rigid 4-3-3 system?

Weird.

I thought the unwritten rule was: if you have lots of money you fit the players into your system, if you don’t have lots of money you fit the system around the players.

Someone needs to tell Gerrard he’s not at Liverpool any more, and Europe doesn’t mean a fuck this season. 

It's the least rigid 433 I've seen.

And Hagi did well in the system which won us 2 games against strong opposition.

Its the 10 men behind the ball opposition we need to find a solution for, nothing at all wrong with our tactics and use of personnel this week.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It's the least rigid 433 I've seen.

And Hagi did well in the system which won us 2 games against strong opposition.

Its the 10 men behind the ball opposition we need to find a solution for, nothing at all wrong with our tactics and use of personnel this week.

Like I said, Europe doesn’t matter a fuck this season.

Not once have I complained about our European performances.

The Scottish league is a completely different animal and to keep sticking to tactics which do not  work against the dross in the league is a bit silly.

Also, How can you take an opposition by surprise if we are never going to approach a game differently?

Be wary of judging us by a couple of friendlys where both teams play open football.

5 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

a decent RW is needed then put hagi through the middle but that’s not looking likely. 

Cant see that if Aribo keeps up his form in the midfield. Can only see Hagi moving inside if he get a top quality (for our 11) RW in at some point. Jack, Aribo, Hagi may be lightweight though

3 minutes ago, Swally said:

The Scottish league is a completely different animal and to keep sticking to tactics which do not  work against the dross in the league is a bit silly.

Also, How can you take an opposition by surprise if we are never going to approach a game differently?

Be wary of judging us by a couple of friendlys where both teams play open football.

So we should have set up last 2 games as if we were playing against 2 defensive teams even though neither were defensive teams?

We played a system that often works. We still need a system for the defensively set up teams. 

Wednesday night may see some tweaks, let's wait and see.

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So we should have set up last 2 games as if we were playing against 2 defensive teams even though neither were defensive teams?

We played a system that often works. We still need a system for the defensively set up teams. 

Wednesday night may see some tweaks, let's wait and see.

You know something, I would have preferred a pre-season against only that type of opposition.

It might help management understand where we need to strengthen and tweak. 

Apart from the feel good factor, those games are a bit of a waste of time in that respect.

I agree, with Motherwell, I do know preseason is about fitness, but it is more like a normal test for us - in the kind of area we are weak in.

Id rather get rid of weaknesses than bask in the glory of something everyone knows I’m good at anyway!

1 hour ago, Swally said:

You know something, I would have preferred a pre-season against only that type of opposition.

It might help management understand where we need to strengthen and tweak. 

Apart from the feel good factor, those games are a bit of a waste of time in that respect.

I agree, with Motherwell, I do know preseason is about fitness, but it is more like a normal test for us - in the kind of area we are weak in.

Id rather get rid of weaknesses than bask in the glory of something everyone knows I’m good at anyway!

Firstly you don't build up fitness playing defensive, sit in teams. And as you say pre season is about fitness.

Secondly despite your views of fuck Europe that's still a crucial competition for our club in so many ways. The manager would have been rightly slated for a summer of friendlies versus lower spfl clubs.

We've now got that bit more creativity in Hagi, Kent and aribo, Hopefully we build on that and do away with 2 defensivw midfielders in games we don't need it and find a way to get another top 3rd player on. Theres plenty time and I'd imagine there's more players to come in plus we've got two weeks more on the training field working at it 

2 hours ago, Swally said:

I’d class Hagi as being or at least having the potential to be our best player.

Playing your best player out of position in all of our games in order to shoehorn him into a rigid 4-3-3 system?

Weird.

I thought the unwritten rule was: if you have lots of money you fit the players into your system, if you don’t have lots of money you fit the system around the players.

Someone needs to tell Gerrard he’s not at Liverpool any more, and Europe doesn’t mean a fuck this season. 

I used to say the same but now admit i was wrong as the finance is vital and the prestige is fantastic.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Firstly you don't build up fitness playing defensive, sit in teams. And as you say pre season is about fitness.

Secondly despite your views of fuck Europe that's still a crucial competition for our club in so many ways. The manager would have been rightly slated for a summer of friendlies versus lower spfl clubs.

We've now got that bit more creativity in Hagi, Kent and aribo, Hopefully we build on that and do away with 2 defensivw midfielders in games we don't need it and find a way to get another top 3rd player on. Theres plenty time and I'd imagine there's more players to come in plus we've got two weeks more on the training field working at it 

I honestly don't think we'll have a strong enough spine this season, our players are a bit powderpuff all over the park.  Our midfield is a huge worry for me.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

I used to say the same but now admit i was wrong as the finance is vital and the prestige is fantastic.

I was the opposite mate, Europe meant a lot to me, but not this season. We need to stop their 10, that's the only reason my views have changed.

2 minutes ago, Swally said:

I honestly don't think we'll have a strong enough spine this season, our players are a bit powderpuff all over the park.  Our midfield is a huge worry for me.

I think if we bring in the right one midfielder and decent loan CH we'll be OK.  Still think we need another option up front on the right plus a big bruiser scoring CF. I'm not asking for much 😁

I think if we bring in the right one midfielder and decent loan CH we'll be OK.  Still think we need another option up front on the right plus a big bruiser scoring CF. I'm not asking for much 😁

Remember how many signings Pedro made?

I'd say what you're asking for is the bare minimum. I know we've signed Hagi etc, but the deal isn't a lump sum so it allows for some movement which wouldn't normally be there.

52 minutes ago, Swally said:

Our midfield is a weak area for us. We never relly spent money there. It's been frees and loans. It needs strengthening. I'd say a we need 2. A CDM that can boss opposition players and playmaker. 

We still also need different option striker and another option for the right side of our front 3. 

3 hours ago, Swally said:

I'd wager that the board will have told him that Europe is a main priority. The club can't afford to not make the group stages again.

1 hour ago, Swally said:

I was the opposite mate, Europe meant a lot to me, but not this season. We need to stop their 10, that's the only reason my views have changed.

Tiredness from playing these games hasn’t been the issue, it’s not been able to deal with Scottish Football that has.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He doesn't see anyone as playing up front on the right though, he sees the likes of hagi and kent as starting wide players that are to come inside and let the fullbacks bomb forward,

7 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

He doesn't see anyone as playing up front on the right though, he sees the likes of hagi and kent as starting wide players that are to come inside and let the fullbacks bomb forward,

I'd like someone on the right that can play like Kent does on the left, doesn't need to be a winger as such. 

Kent, Hagi, Aribo, +1 is good creativity. 

I'd like someone on the right that can play like Kent does on the left, doesn't need to be a winger as such. 

Kent, Hagi, Aribo, +1 is good creativity. 

Agree, we dont have a right side number ten who can go back on the outside and take a man on, but then again gerrard seems to be driving that out of Kents game as well, the OF goal he setup for Jack 19 months ago, he doesnt do that anymore, its left to barisic to do it, same on the right 

9 hours ago, GersInCanada said:

Gerrard is never anything but honest. It would hinder the development of Mayo is be on the bench for us every week therefore with Katic out we need another CB.

A 3rd striker is also required. That's a no brainer.

As for midfield Gerrard already has 8 to choose from. Unless a couple of them go I would say that we are covered there.

Covered in numbers, but not covered in the types of skill-set we need in our midfielders such as taking responsibility, running forward with the ball, scoring and creating chances.

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Covered in numbers, but not covered in the types of skill-set we need in our midfielders such as taking responsibility, running forward with the ball, scoring and creating chances.

He clearly doesn't want that from his 3 centre mids though, well not to the extent that we would like 

5 hours ago, Canabear said:

We also need cover on the right side for the defensive frailties of Tavernier because judging by the way he keeps getting caught with balls dropped behind him , see yesterdays game , we will lose a good few goals down our right flank again.

He's good going forward but he's not a very good defender and gets caught out of position far too often which in turn creates gaps in the central defence as they are having to get stretched to cover for him.

Given he’s been given the number 16 I would think Patterson will be our back up r.b

Archived