Stats

It's definitely noticeable this season that we don't have many of those moments where our defence feels totally exposed with last ditch challenges being made. 

Huge improvements in our overall shape and teamwork on and off the ball are being rewarded, last season we would always have a few awful defensive lapses in what felt like every game. 

1 minute ago, Smile said:

Shows you what happens when you follow a system and work as a team, sometimes it's frustrating to watch as you want to steamroll teams but it proves he and his backroom team know what they are doing.

Spot on. I said a while back that I’d be happy winning every game 1-0 from now till the end of the season.

There will inevitably be opportunities for a few more goals but disciplined, mature play like Saturday will take us a long way.

Good comment from Maurice Ross today saying that you rarely see a Rangers midfielder chasing back to regain the ball because he’s been dispossessed. In fact you rarely see them running flat out at all, the movement is constant but measured, always making themselves available so that their mate doesn’t get caught out. Incredibly fluid, great to watch especially when you’re ahead in a game.

12 minutes ago, Smile said:

Shows you what happens when you follow a system and work as a team, sometimes it's frustrating to watch as you want to steamroll teams but it proves he and his backroom team know what they are doing.

They certainly do know what they are doing. We have been unlucky in the past with terrible refereeing and offside goals. Hard to do anything about that. We also havent had the squad to cope with so many games in the past.

10 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Spot on. I said a while back that I’d be happy winning every game 1-0 from now till the end of the season.

There will inevitably be opportunities for a few more goals but disciplined, mature play like Saturday will take us a long way.

Good comment from Maurice Ross today saying that you rarely see a Rangers midfielder chasing back to regain the ball because he’s been dispossessed. In fact you rarely see them running flat out at all, the movement is constant but measured, always making themselves available so that their mate doesn’t get caught out. Incredibly fluid, great to watch especially when you’re ahead in a game.

You can see the clear difference between our team and the way they played they were all over the place at times but could not find a way to break us down.

14 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Celtic have conceded 4 more goals than us which is encouraging for goal difference.

Up until the weekend though they were only a goal behind us with a home game in hand, for as shite as they have been this season they were still scoring goals, as much as clean sheets and great defence is good to have, we really need to be more ruthless up top, 

It sounds daft but id rather win 5-4 every game than 1-0

27 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

To be fair we conceded less goals than them last season it was scoring that was the problem.

We’ve got a lot more up front now so will be cruising the league this season.

We have also got midfielders scoring now and not just Alfredo. Spreading the goals out is the best way!

13 minutes ago, Smile said:

You can see the clear difference between our team and the way they played they were all over the place at times but could not find a way to break us down.

Read the article from The Atletic, if you can. A breakdown of how we play. Interestingly, it also tells you why we started with Barker. We were implimenting our gameplan over the international break and it was important that we used players that were actually there and not throwing someone in who hadnt been there. I know some werent happy with him starting, but there was a reason for it.

16 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

It sounds daft but id rather win 5-4 every game than 1-0

No chance.

If we were conceding 4 goals a game, the nervousness would spread throughout the team within a few games and mentally destroy us, imo.

Title winning teams are built from the back - and if the midfielders/forwards don't have faith in the defence and goalkeeper, we can forget it tbh.

35 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

We’ve got a lot more up front now so will be cruising the league this season.

Aye but Alfredo’s a fat petulant liability who’s not bullying defences the same way as last year, drops too deep has a shite touch can’t pass the ball and try’s to get himself sent off 

I felt that the last two seasons we had lots of possession and our defenders weren’t asked to do much but when the inevitable happened and the opposition got their limited chance, they seemed to have scored.

We need more goals to finish games off so the above doesn’t happen. Yes I’d take 1-0 wins until the end of the season if it secures 55 but not sure if I’ll have any finger nails left.

Last season we dropped 7 points during our opening 18 league fixtures.  This season we've dropped 4 points during the first eleven fixtures.  It's about keeping that level up throughout the entire season. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

I was actually thinking that same thing earlier, was this our easiest league game so far this season?

It’s not far off it. That should worry the scum more than anything, they might have been down a few players but we had arguably our best player from the start of the season (aribo) on the bench and we didn’t get out of 3rd gear 😂

8 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

I was actually thinking that same thing earlier, was this our easiest league game so far this season?

13 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

The tarriers have been the worst team we’ve played aw season 😂

Both wrong Dundee Utd or Motherwell we were strolling about the park.

44 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

No chance.

If we were conceding 4 goals a game, the nervousness would spread throughout the team within a few games and mentally destroy us, imo.

Title winning teams are built from the back - and if the midfielders/forwards don't have faith in the defence and goalkeeper, we can forget it tbh.

As januarys collapse showed though, its easier to fix a leaky defence than a misfiring team

You mention nervousness, imagine how it would be drawing 0-0 at home to say st johnstone with ten minutes to go

If your defender costs you points by switching off, he can be subbed or replaced next game, if you dont score one game, it could be down to the chances created, the strikers its falling to or how the opposition defence plays, much harder to fix

Archived