Patience with Managers

McEwan's Lager

Just now, Tak3rNo1 said:

If the season had properly finished he wouldn't still be here. Hearts in the cup and Hamilton at home were fucking dreadful, he looked lost and didn't know what to do. The majority of this forum wanted him out and I don't blame them. The slide we were on was disastrous.

Atmosphere had went poisonous, he was never lasting 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Baws, he has been a top level football player most of his life dealing with adversity and shit results... he didn't do that on the back of jacking it in after a rut in form.... confidence and belief in your ability gets you to the levels he played at. 

Fans have a big say on how long a manager gets to stay at the club and he was losing the backing of the support rapidly 

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

The board seen something in him. 
That’s their job, they did it well

On our form it wouldn’t matter a fuck what the tims did this season our form would still see us win the league. Thems the facts, all about us and fuck all about them 

My point is that we collapsed two years in a row when under pressure, we didnt face that pressure this season, would we have coped, who knows, who gives a fuck now anyway as the leagues done thankfully

3 minutes ago, 7PointsUntilRFC55 said:

The taigs haven't really tbh, they're on course to beat 2 of the their last 3 winning tallies.

We've been fucking incredible this season. They've not fucked it, they just couldn't live with us 

That's the point I was going to make. Until the result on Sunday they could still have got to a points level which would have won them each or their last 9 titles. Their fans have totally over reacted, I think their performances in Europe was a big part of it. The media has contributed to it as well and it detracts from how consistent we have been. I think the celtic board would like to still back Lennon but if they see a big drop in ST sales he will go. 

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Fans have a big say on how long a manager gets to stay at the club and he was losing the backing of the support rapidly 

Haud on...we sold out our stadium when we couldn't go when we knew Gerrard was the manager... the board gave the manager a fortune in the summer during a Pandemic, there wasn't a great want to sack him. 

Just now, plumbGER said:

Are you saying this as someone ITK or guesswork?

Mate there’s absolutely no chance he would have been in charge this season had last season finished properly in the style it was ending.

We weren’t turning that league round and it’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise 

I bumped my gums about it being about the rate of progress. A right few disagreements were had on here. Some for me were impatient as silverware hadn't been won, but I could see we were still progressing well enough imo. Our defensive record on the whole improved, we did well in Europe, we were developing well as a squad. Gerrard had 3 seasons to win the league, cups were never crucial, and I'm delighted he's not only closed the gap but overtaken them. Huge credit.

That in turn leads to questions on what's acceptable going forward. If I see us still progress and grow as a squad and club ie in the CL, then that would mitigate domestic cup losses. If we didn't win the league next season thats a failure and obvious decline. That'd be failure and whether he'd survive it would depend on how we'd progressed or not in other areas.

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

My point is that we collapsed two years in a row when under pressure, we didnt face that pressure this season, would we have coped, who knows, who gives a fuck now anyway as the leagues done thankfully

Most give a fuck TBF, it shows we have learned, adapted and improved... that's a good thing to think aye rather than thinking what if? 

Just now, Dennis Reynolds said:

Haud on...we sold out our stadium when we couldn't go when we knew Gerrard was the manager... 

Us buying STs has absolutely nothing to do with who is in charge, that’s being a fan and supporting the club. I certainly didn’t buy mine thinking about who was in charge

14 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Gerrard got more time because of covid and the stopping of football last season. He was on his way out 

Not sure about that and it would have been the wrong decision. Not just because of this seasons results but because teams that swap and change their managers every 2 seasons never make any progress. It needed to be a minimum 3 year project. 

1 minute ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Haud on...we sold out our stadium when we couldn't go when we knew Gerrard was the manager... the board gave the manager a fortune in the summer during a Pandemic, there wasn't a great want to sack him. 

Tbf we sold out our stadium no matter what, 

Dont think the board would have sacked him, but defo he might have walked had we finished the season in the form we were in, it was on course to be over 20 points we lost the league by, which was worse than his first season, he might have walked feeling he couldnt do what was required 

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

Mate there’s absolutely no chance he would have been in charge this season had last season finished properly in the style it was ending.

I'm more interested in finding out if @esquire8is ITK or not tbh.

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Tbf we sold out our stadium no matter what, 

Dont think the board would have sacked him, but defo he might have walked had we finished the season in the form we were in, it was on course to be over 20 points we lost the league by, which was worse than his first season, he might have walked feeling he couldnt do what was required 

Not entirely convinced by that TBH. If the feeling was that strong against Gerrard it was clear a time as any from fans to show no confidence in him... the club was deperate for cash fans could have easily had him sacked by holding of on buying tickets, they didn't.

Again, he wouldn't have been in a rush to walk, there is a pretty decent body of evidence in his career to show he isn't a pussy and backs himself. 

5 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

He was on a 4 year contract, then extended.  King talked about the bumps in the road and standing by him. Only Gerrard will know if he'd have walked, but I doubt he'd have been pushed. 

He was right to stay, and right to be given the opportunity he was offered when signing his contracts.

What would have been ludicrous would have been expecting a manager to come in and stop their 10iar in one season after another season of failure.

3 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

We sell out regardless of what happens. Follow the club through thick n thin. We ain't like the unwashed at the east end and close off tiers when things aren't going right

23 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

A rookie manager with no real experience should be given longer than an experienced trophy laden manger. 

A rookie manager needs to also show continuous improvements. 

Steven Gerrard has a winning mentality, this is reflected in our team. 
he’s fucking special that’s for sure. 

He’s learned and improved as a manager in his time with us, he’s also willing to change and tweak when needed, none of the  if Plan A doesn’t work do Plan A better,

Just now, esquire8 said:

We sell out regardless of what happens. Follow the club through thick n thin. We ain't like the unwashed at the east end and close off tiers when things aren't going right

Hmm ish, I don't think the board would have got away with sticking by Pedro for 4 years and still selling out the stadium TBH. 

Archived