This mythical “gap”

2 hours ago, RFC55 said:

Full backs always take the throw ins, him and barasic are our best dead ball takers so that’s why they hit the corners and free kicks 

Its the time he takes when they could be taken quickly as all the opposition players get time to set up against them that's the problem

Tav scores many more than he misses from the spot. Don't know his stats but as I recall Borna is another I would have confidence in should he be asked to take one.

Penalty taking has never been Alfredo's thing.

To get back on topic there is little of a gap. scum were fortunate to get a point at New Year and in the last fixture a bizarre decision by Clancy changed the whole complexion of the game. Gives me hope for the upcoming semi.

6 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Tav scores many more than he misses from the spot. Don't know his stats but as I recall Borna is another I would have confidence in should he be asked to take one.

Penalty taking has never been Alfredo's thing.

To get back on topic there is little of a gap. scum were fortunate to get a point at New Year and in the last fixture a bizarre decision by Clancy changed the whole complexion of the game. Gives me hope for the upcoming semi.

They weren’t fortunate at all, I don’t get why people think that. 

8 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Big stroke of ‘luck’ with Clancy ruling out Morelos.

I don’t think late goals are lucky, I think it takes bottle to go and make them happen. 

37 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

I wouldnt be confident with Morelos on penalties but look at someone like Novo, nowhere near a natural finisher but had a great penalty record.

He only missed two against Dundee Utd and Hibs iirc. 

Always went for the keepers bottom left corner.

5 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

In the lead with a couple of minutes to go might suggest why. Took another defensive blunder (to which we are prone) to level things up.

They do it consistently, it’s not fortunate.

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Big stroke of ‘luck’ with Clancy ruling out Morelos.

I don’t think late goals are lucky, I think it takes bottle to go and make them happen. 

I meant the draw at Ibrox

11 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Why can’t the nearest player just quickly pick it up and chuck it back on. It’s not like you need much skill to take a throw in ffs

That's it for me this I'm the man who takes them nonsense waste time I can see why at Penalties or free-kicks but not throw ins or even corners.

23 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

They play the press well to force the mistakes we did the same under Gerrard but now we have half the players doing it and half not so it doesn't work, they are more organised.

It's not luck where they are they all know their roles.

53 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Tav also misses a penalty in every 5, which isn’t that great either. Be tempted to switch it up next season. 

No reason to change it up at all. According to Footystats Tav has an 82.54% conversion rate. Comparing to a couple of names I've plucked out a hat Kris Boyd had a 83.33% conversion rate, Ronaldo with 85.44% and Messi with 77.68%. 

Does anybody else ever wonder if fans of other clubs who have a player that is the designated set piece taker because they’ve proven to be pretty effective from set pieces, say Southampton fans with James Ward Prowse for example, also moan like fuck about him “hogging” the set pieces like some of our support do with Tav, or is it exclusive to our support to have to find something to moan and complain about even when there’s not really a problem or an issue to be complaining about in the first place?

1 hour ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

Would like to think Lawrence would be on set pieces next year.

I’m just worried that he doesn’t come back the same player tbh. 29 year old who’s missed a year of football is a bit of a red flag. Just hope we aren’t sitting here this time next year talking about how he’s a big wage that we are desperate to move on.

7 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Does anybody else ever wonder if fans of other clubs who have a player that is the designated set piece taker because they’ve proven to be pretty effective from set pieces, say Southampton fans with James Ward Prowse for example, also moan like fuck about him “hogging” the set pieces like some of our support do with Tav, or is it exclusive to our support to have to find something to moan and complain about even when there’s not really a problem or an issue to be complaining about in the first place?

Don’t think anyone is moaning mate. 

18 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

We need to spend no time at all in working on throw ins. 
except speed. 

We give the ball away the majority of the time as everyone just stands static, I'm sure we work on patterns of play from the likes of goal kicks, why not do it from throw ins that could lead to chances? There are throw in coaches these days.

11 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I’m just worried that he doesn’t come back the same player tbh. 29 year old who’s missed a year of football is a bit of a red flag. Just hope we aren’t sitting here this time next year talking about how he’s a big wage that we are desperate to move on.

Hopefully not, didn't seem to rely on his pace which is obviously a bonus.

14 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

Errr. Without penalties no player outwith the OF has scored more goals in the league than Morelos since Kris Boyd for Kilmarnock in the 2017/18 season.

If you want to include penalties (which is stupid because any striker we bring in won't be the penalty taker as long as Tav is in the team) there are only 2 players that have outscored Alfie in the league since Boyd. Those are Kevin Nisbet who scored 2 more goals than Alfie in the 2020/21 season and Regan Charles Cooke who scored jjst a single goal more than Alfie last season, however he started 11 more games due to Gio running Alfie in to the ground and getting injured. 

That's not true.

Kevin Van Veen and Duk both do this season, Regan Cook had more last season, Bruce Anderson equalled Morelos tally last season.

Kevin Nisbet equalled his tally in 20/21 and is only one goal behind him this season despite having just come back from a year out and only playing 13 games.

Christian Doidge equalled his tally in 19/20.

So basically excluding penalties, Morelos hasn't outscored mid-table strikers in 5 of his last 6 seasons.