General Transfer Talk

Broxi

2 hours ago, RWB72 said:

Realistically what do we have to spend this window?

This looks a dire situation to me trying to offload so many players in one window is going to be tough

This looks like a 2 window job unfortunately which we just can't afford

I'm trying to be optimistic by focusing on the salary space that's opening us this summer. Morelos and Kent are paid like star players but their output hasn't been anywhere near that in 2022/3. We'll have an opportunity to hand comparable wages to players who might actually earn them from June. Same goes for Helander - I imagine he's mid-to-upper in our salary structure and it's not going to be hard to get an upgrade because anyone who's occasionally - ever - fit for selection adds more than him just now. Similar for Roofe the following summer. If we can sell some combination of Davies, Barasic, Kamara, McLoughlin, and Lundstram, that's more money to play with. Plus whatever's freed up by the departures from Arfield, Davis, Jack, and McGregor.

We're not getting value from a lot of the squad so I'm seeing the chance to cut ties and reinvest as a big positive. 

5 hours ago, RFC55 said:

Watched duk closely yesterday, he’s fucking terrible 

Same. Apparently he leads the way for the worst ball retention stat in the league. That can have 2 meanings though, one constantly losing the ball, which is what he did yesterday, I thought Souttar dealt with him well and he generally ran into dead ends but two it shows being keen to get on the ball and keep going. Thought he was mince yesterday though

3 minutes ago, FlippinEck said:

Same. Apparently he leads the way for the worst ball retention stat in the league. That can have 2 meanings though, one constantly losing the ball, which is what he did yesterday, I thought Souttar dealt with him well and he generally ran into dead ends but two it shows being keen to get on the ball and keep going. Thought he was mince yesterday though

That cup semi I thought he had some skill but very raw. How many spl players have we signed who done well at that level then flopped at Rangers. Dont see him as an upgrade on what we have. Need to be aiming much higher

55 minutes ago, Darth Bear said:

Cheaper than our backup at LB. A fully fit Helander starts before Davies any day of the week, even someone who pretends  to know everything about football should know that.

I agree with the helander bit btw. But davies was not brought in as back up, especially purging £4million for him, liverpool got him for 500k as backup.

We spent £4million!!!

1 hour ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Any examples of these players who have left Scotland for pennies that we have tried to sign for millions 2 seasons later? 

Supposedly shanklands in our targets.

Will take 2 million to shove him across to us.

Could have picked up for pennies, then loaned him back out.

Just now, falkirkNS said:

I agree with the helander bit btw. But davies was not brought in as back up, especially purging £4million for him, liverpool got him for 500k as backup.

We spent £4million!!!

It's almost as if signing someone from Liverpool with a couple years left on their contract might cost more than signing someone from a team in the second tier with six months left on their contract.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

It's almost as if signing someone from Liverpool with a couple years left on their contract might cost more than signing someone from a team in the second tier with six months left on their contract.

You trying to justify that midgets wilson splashing 4 million on heart of a mouse, hows my hair, timid voice Ben Davies.

3 hours ago, RWB72 said:

Realistically what do we have to spend this window?

This looks a dire situation to me trying to offload so many players in one window is going to be tough

This looks like a 2 window job unfortunately which we just can't afford

I'll be surprised if we spend anything north of £15m. Though it'll likely be the return of the old undisclosed fees again. We're going to struggling to sell or release most of these duds.

11 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

We spent £4million!!!

Which is still not as much as we paid for our backup LB. 

Don't let the numbers blind you.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Have we not learned our lesson with Liverpool loanees yet?

True but the difference is we’d be signing a player proven and used to the league. So there isn’t the worry about can he cope physically or know what’s expected. He can hit the ground from day 1. Whilst also being the standout player in his position outside the old firm and getting better each game at his age. 

Spending money on someone like Davies for 4 million who has barely kicked a ball is a gamble. 

But signing someone on loan (hopefully with option to buy) isn’t. Just his wages which can’t be very high.

I’m sure we could get the deal done. It’s a win for Liverpool (doubt he’s breaking into their first team next year). But for them it gives a player the opportunity to play first team football. Some European football whilst also making a name for themselves and giving them the opportunity to recoup a decent fee for him. 

9 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

Supposedly shanklands in our targets.

Will take 2 million to shove him across to us.

Could have picked up for pennies, then loaned him back out.

Before this season, Shankland had only scored 17 goals in two seasons. If we had signed him at any point over the past couple of Summers this entire forum would have gone tonto because of his shit record.

If we had signed him from Ayr he wouldn’t have got near our squad because we had Morelos, Roofe & Defoe and considering his record at top flight level prior to this season everybody would have been declaring him a waste of money if we had signed him and then loaned him out and he put up a similar level of numbers to what he did at top flight level for Dundee Utd & Beerschot.

16 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

You trying to justify that midgets wilson splashing 4 million on heart of a mouse, hows my hair, timid voice Ben Davies.

No, I'm pointing out that there's absolutely no correlation between what Liverpool paid Preston to sign a player with six months left on his deal ad what we paid to sign a player from Liverpool with several years left on his deal at Anfield.

5 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

True but the difference is we’d be signing a player proven and used to the league. So there isn’t the worry about can he cope physically or know what’s expected. He can hit the ground from day 1. Whilst also being the standout player in his position outside the old firm and getting better each game at his age. 

Spending money on someone like Davies for 4 million who has barely kicked a ball is a gamble. 

But signing someone on loan (hopefully with option to buy) isn’t. Just his wages which can’t be very high.

I’m sure we could get the deal done. It’s a win for Liverpool (doubt he’s breaking into their first team next year). But for them it gives a player the opportunity to play first team football. Some European football whilst also making a name for themselves and giving them the opportunity to recoup a decent fee for him. 

Clarkson hasn't been a standout.

Davies has played 36 games this season.

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

? I’m saying spending 4million on someone like Davies not playing regularly over the last few years is a gamble.

Clarkson has been a standout in the league we are in and young so improving game by game. Dunno what you’re on about. He will make the ypoty shortlist and be favourite outside the old firm. 5 goals and 8 assists from cdm. 

Even if you don’t watch other league matches you can see how he’s influenced games against us. Both the assist and his performance last night and his goal last game  against us.

celtic have used the loan market well eg Jota and CCV.

Where possible it’s a great avenue and a free punt. (Not for shite epl wash ups, 18 year olds or players battling injuries though)

The boy is on 3k a week. That’s the definition of a free hit and I’d start him ahead of Lundstrum in a heart beat

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

11 goals and assists from 29 games in the league is fairly impressive tbh.

Most of this forum is obsessed with us signing Tillman and he’s sitting with 14 goals and assists from 28 games, while playing for a far better team  who create more chances and who are generally more attack minded.

Just now, OrangeRab said:

? I’m saying spending 4million on someone like Davies not playing regularly over the last few years is a gamble.

Clarkson has been a standout in the league we are in and young so improving game by game. Dunno what you’re on about. He will make the ypoty shortlist and be favourite outside the old firm. 5 goals and 8 assists from cdm. 

Even if you don’t watch other league matches you can see how he’s influenced games against us. Both the assist and his performance last night and his goal last game  against us.

celtic have used the loan market well eg Jota and CCV.

Where possible it’s a great avenue and a free punt. (Not for shite epl wash ups, 18 year olds or players battling injuries though)

The boy is on 3k a week. That’s the definition of a free hit and I’d start him ahead of Lundstrum in a heart beat

CCV was a fairly well established full international who had several years of first-team football under his belt.

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

11 goals and assists from 29 games in the league is fairly impressive tbh.

Most of this forum is obsessed with us signing Tillman and he’s sitting with 14 goals and assists from 28 games, while playing for a far better team  who create more chances and who are generally more attack minded.

Not saying he's not had a good season, just that he's not been a standout player.

Mark O'Hara has very similar numbers for St Mirren as a CDM//CM, Josh Campbell at Hibs too. And Jamie McGrath. And Dylan Levitt. And Stevie Kelly.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not saying he's not had a good season, just that he's not been a standout player.

Mark O'Hara has very similar numbers for St Mirren as a CDM//CM, Josh Campbell at Hibs too. And Jamie McGrath. And Dylan Levitt. And Stevie Kelly.

Campbell and Levitt are players who should be on our radar too tbh.

Any youngster in our own levaue returning 10+ goals and assists from midfield should be getting looked at, especially when our model has to be signing younger players with the intention of developing them further and selling them on again.

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

CCV was a fairly well established full international who had several years of first-team football under his belt.

He was. I’m saying the loan market is a market we haven’t utilised well enough. For me he is the best cdm and fastest improving in the league outside the OF. Available on loan for nothing in a position we badly need to sign is a no brainer. (Ideally with option to buy). And he’s a player whose first instinct is to play forward. 

That would be smart recruitment. Doesn’t eat into transfer funds for other areas. All the upside and very little downside. Doesn’t stop us spending money on another target. If he’s shite then it doesn’t matter.

We don’t do smart recruitment though 

Just now, OrangeRab said:

He was. I’m saying the loan market is a market we haven’t utilised well enough. For me he is the best cdm and fastest improving in the league outside the OF. Available on loan for nothing in a position we badly need to sign is a no brainer. (Ideally with option to buy). And he’s a player whose first instinct is to play forward. 

That would be smart recruitment. Doesn’t eat into transfer funds for other areas. All the upside and very little downside. Doesn’t stop us spending money on another target. If he’s shite then it doesn’t matter.

We don’t do smart recruitment though 

Is he?

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Campbell and Levitt are players who should be on our radar too tbh.

Any youngster in our own levaue returning 10+ goals and assists from midfield should be getting looked at, especially when our model has to be signing younger players with the intention of developing them further and selling them on again.

I'd have Campbell and Levitt before Clarkson.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I'd have Campbell and Levitt before Clarkson.

Depends on how much each would cost.

I imagine Hibs would want a decent fee for Campbell, especially if it was us who came calling, Levitt’s contract situation would make him more affordable (I want us to sign him, think he’s got a lot of upside) but I don’t imagine a player who is never getting near the Liverpool team would command a large loan fee.

3 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Depends on how much each would cost.

I imagine Hibs would want a decent fee for Campbell, especially if it was us who came calling, Levitt’s contract situation would make him more affordable (I want us to sign him, think he’s got a lot of upside) but I don’t imagine a player who is never getting near the Liverpool team would command a large loan fee.

I'd rather pay a bit more and get someone who is every bit as good and have them long-term and that we can possibly profit from than pay someone else for a shot of a player for a year