General Transfer Talk

Broxi

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

So how does the tarriers continue to sweep the board without those numbers from their right back?

Kirk Broadfoot :lol: 

It helps that their striker has 30 goals and is not a wee huffy fat pie. They have wingers scoring goals and spend more than us on wages and transfers. Also helps them that they didn't have a shite manager for half the season who had his team incredibly unfit. They also haven't had the worst injury spell in living memory.

Are you genuinely suggesting that if we swapped Tav and their weird looking sweaty Canadian right back, that we would be winning the league right now?

Like seriously?

6 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

So as i said then.

So your point is we should get rid of Tav and get a better forward line? 

What do you think we've been trying to do for the last decade?

If getting a better forward line was that easy we would have done it. That's not how football works. 

Getting rid of Tav means you need a winger to get you 25 goals and assists a season to offset him on top of what we would normally expect from a winger. Tell me where you are getting someone to get you these 35-40+ goals and assist from? 

1 minute ago, rangersross said:

I'm totally confident going into next season with Tav. He's more than good enough and underrated by a lot of our support. I know it's anecdotal, but I was speaking to a member of the Hearts squad recently, and he mentioned that he's still the player in our squad that they rate most highly and are most concerned about going up against. 

Don't think Tav gets as many opportunities if we improve the front three and sign a right back that can actually defend to be honest.

Need to remember that the guy is 31, we should be looking for his replacement anyway.

This cycle of Rangers football club is at an end, and it should involve the phasing out, or preparing to phase out James Tavernier.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

It helps that their striker has 30 goals and is not a wee huffy fat pie. They have wingers scoring goals and spend more than us on wages and transfers. Also helps them that they didn't have a shite manager for half the season who had his team incredibly unfit. They also haven't had the worst injury spell in living memory.

Are you genuinely suggesting that if we swapped Tav and their weird looking sweaty Canadian right back, that we would be winning the league right now?

Like seriously?

So as i said, if we bring in better players who can get better numbers then there’s less of a reliance on Tav and we then have option of playing a more natural defender if required.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

So as i said, if we bring in better players who can get better numbers then there’s less of a reliance on Tav and we then have option of playing a more natural defender if required.

We should sign better players who score more goals. Good idea. 

You should take over Ross Wilsons job. 

2 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

So your point is we should get rid of Tav and get a better forward line? 

What do you think we've been trying to do for the last decade?

If getting a better forward line was that easy we would have done it. That's not how football works. 

Getting rid of Tav means you need a winger to get you 25 goals and assists a season to offset him on top of what we would normally expect from a winger. Tell me where you are getting these 35+ goals and assist from? 

I never once said get rid of Tav and i’ve probably been the most vocal on here about lack of numbers from midfielders and strikers.

It would help if we stopped playing two sitting mids but we need to bring in at least 3 absolute ruthless bastards up front.

It’s a dereliction of duty that we’re having to do it in one window but that’s were we are.

Just now, Sorry72 said:

Don't think Tav gets as many opportunities if we improve the front three and sign a right back that can actually defend to be honest.

Need to remember that the guy is 31, we should be looking for his replacement anyway.

This cycle of Rangers football club is at an end, and it should involve the phasing out, or preparing to phase out James Tavernier.

I think he'll still be starting almost every game next season, but agree that we'll have to start reducing his minutes if he continues slowing down. In the short term, it's not a priority for me though, because I think he's still more than capable of being a starter in a title-winning team and we have so few players who fit that description just now (maybe just Goldson, Raskin, Cantwell). 

13 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

So using your 3-5 at direct fault. Given we’re not going to get a full back who is totally perfect you will still have at least 1-2 errors. So that leaves you with call it 3 additional goals conceded by having Tav.

Going forward he has 53 non pen goals and 120 odd assists since he’s been here? So 7 goals and 15 assists a season.

Taylor has 3 goals and 3 assist. 1 goal and 4 assists last season. Johnston has 1 goal and 2 assists in his half season.

So their average is about 2 goals and 4 assists a season for comparison.

So you’re getting an extra 5 goals and 11 assists versus losing 3 extra goals. 

That’s why he’s in the team of the year every season and so important.

The 3-5 at fault I suggested is VERY  conservative in lieue of any firm stats.

Without any great effort I can think at least 4 goals this season where he’s entirely or mostly responsible for.

I’m pretty sure he’ll be nudging closer to 10 or more a season on average if the ‘ah for for fuck sake Tav’s’ are anything to go by on here. 

Like I said, he’ll break even in terms of contribution. Put it this way, if he didn’t score goals he wouldn’t be in the team which tells you all you need to know about his defending.

As for quoting the celtic full backs, how many are they responsible for conceding?

Why would we want to play a defensive right back when we could have Tav firing in dangerous balls to our 30 goal a season striker? Why would we want to instead play defensively and cut the ammunition we are providing to our attackers? It makes no sense.

I would much rather have our Hall Of Fame, Uefa team of the season right back in the team than a guy who doesn't contribute nearly as much in attack.

When Tavs age catches up with him, then we will have to replace him with more than likely a far inferior player.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Why would we want to play a defensive right back when we could have Tav firing in dangerous balls to our 30 goal a season striker? Why would we want to instead play defensively and cut the ammunition we are providing to our attackers? It makes no sense.

I would much rather have our Hall Of Fame, Uefa team of the season right back in the team than a guy who doesn't contribute nearly as much in attack.

When Tavs age catches up with him, then we will have to replace him with more than likely a far inferior player.

We’d maybe play a more defensive right back in games against say the tarriers so that they don’t score a goal almost every game from A cross from his side of park or a player beating him at back post.

Same goes for Barisic, are we putting up with his defensive issues because he has double figure assists again this season?

2 minutes ago, beararse said:

The 3-5 at fault I suggested is VERY  conservative in lieue of any firm stats.

Without any great effort I can think at least 4 goals this season where he’s entirely or mostly responsible for.

I’m pretty sure he’ll be nudging closer to 10 or more a season on average if the ‘ah for for fuck sake Tav’s’ are anything to go by on here. 

Like I said, he’ll break even in terms of contribution. Put it this way, if he didn’t score goals he wouldn’t be in the team which tells you all you need to know about his defending.

As for quoting the celtic full backs, how many are they responsible for conceding?

We have conceded 34 goals so far in the league.

You genuinely think that Tav has been directly  responsible for 10 goals this season?

11 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Yes, it's madness to use our left and right back as our most creative players.

People will die by their sword with Tav (I kinda get it), but I'm one to advocate change. Sterling is a major threat to his position.

I do agree there are more concerning issues than our right back.

We’d maybe play a more defensive right back in games against say the tarriers so that they don’t score a goal almost every game from A cross from his side of park or a player beating him at back post.

Same goes for Barisic, are we putting up with his defensive issues because he has double figure assists again this season?

Or we play Tav against them and get him to bang in goals against them.

You keep banging on about the goals he was partially responsible for, but absolutely no mention of the fact that he has scored multiple goals against them this year, and also in the last match, scudded the inside of the post, only for.one of our attacking diddies to miss a sitter.

Putting in a defensive right back does not mean they won't score against him, it just reduced the odds a bit. If you put in a solely defensive right back you massively gimp the attacking output though.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

You keep banging on about the goals he was partially responsible for, but absolutely no mention of the fact that he has scored multiple goals against them this year, and also in the last match, scudded the inside of the post, only for.one of our attacking diddies to miss a sitter.

Putting in a defensive right back does not mean they won't score against him, it just reduced the odds a bit. If you put in a solely defensive right back you massively gimp the attacking output though.

He’s scored 3 goals, and been a major part of them scoring 3, all three a massive reason in us not beating them.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I’ve never once doubted Tavs attacking output but lets not beat about bush, bar the past two months he’s been piss poor this season.

there’s a reason the tarriers score so many goals from that left side. They now actively target him as they know he’s a weak link.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

I’ve never once doubted Tavs attacking output but lets not beat about bush, bar the past two months he’s been piss poor this season.

there’s a reason the tarriers score so many goals from that left side. They now actively target him as they know he’s a weak link.

Got in team of the season though, you must be wrong.

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

So do we keep play Barisic next season as he has most assists this season and can put his crosses onto this new 30 goal a season striker you mentioned?