Losing the first goal

hammer93

25 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

They use it to their advantage but rather than push for change maybe we could also use it to ours considering the depth of squad we have in comparison to who we’re playing 

Our subs have been a real weakness since Gerrard, Beale has a similar reluctance for changes 

Yeh although Beale somewhat hamstrung with the squad. They’ve spent 55 million and have 5 decent subs to bring on. And also been luckier with injuries.

We’ve basically had Wright and Arfield to call upon for half the season.

Be interesting next season if we have better depth if that changes the intensity a bit.

6 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

We've scored 90 goals with a game left. When we won the league in an unbeaten season we scored 92. We've scored more this season, than the 3 final league winning seasons under Walter. I wouldn't be surprised if 92 is our record in a 38 have season.

celtic have scored 92 or more in 7 of the last 11 seasons.

None of what you said is relevant when our goal is to win the league.

5 hours ago, Somemightsay7 said:

celtic have scored 92 or more in 7 of the last 11 seasons.

None of what you said is relevant when our goal is to win the league.

The point being we've scored more than enough to win the league, but conceded an average of a goal a game. Conceding first is a big part of that. The front line needs improving, but if we keep losing the goals we have been, we won't win fuck all.

6 hours ago, DrLaudrup said:

It is fine margins that win trophies sometimes. Although we've scored plenty we have won nothing. You can't deny that our forwards have been extremely poor this year. We have missed massive chances in every crucial game this season. We can only compare ourselves against our rivals. Part of our issue is celtic have been ruthless domestically this season. If our forwards had not missed so many chances in big games or scored even 2/3 of the goals kyogo or van veen and shankland (in poor sides) have individually scored we could be looking at a treble instead of nothing. We absolutely need to be more clinical. 

Missed chances are always going to happen. Had we lose half of the awful goals we have, we'd have been in with a shout. I can't think of many goals against us that weren't easily prevented.

I'd rather get the feeling that if we score first we'll be good enough to see it out, rather than we'll need to score at least 2 or more in every game.

3 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Missed chances are always going to happen. Had we lose half of the awful goals we have, we'd have been in with a shout. I can't think of many goals against us that weren't easily prevented.

I'd rather get the feeling that if we score first we'll be good enough to see it out, rather than we'll need to score at least 2 or more in every game.

I'd rather we were far better than having to see games out

6 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'd rather we were far better than having to see games out

There's always games we will need to see out over the course of a season. We score more than enough goals that it should be the exception, but averaging a goal against means we generally need three not to be just seeing the game out. 

1 hour ago, Roy Hobbs said:

There's always games we will need to see out over the course of a season. We score more than enough goals that it should be the exception, but averaging a goal against means we generally need three not to be just seeing the game out. 

That's a very simplified view using averages.

We lost 1/4 of our goals this season in 3 games against them. The scum lost only 3 goals less than us but I doubt anyone suggests they hold on and see games out. Because they also score far more which is what we need to do.

Anyways, we need aim higher than having us seeing games out being the desire.

Hopefully we improve on scoring first and go on to score more far more frequently 👍

• JCDBigBear changed the title to Losing the first goal
21 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Wednesday night was the 14th game out of 37 that we have went behind, only 6 out the 14 have we recovered to take the 3pts, out the other 8 games we have dropped 20pts!!!

Out the other 23 games Hibs away (collum cost us) was the only game we dropped points from taking the lead....it sticks out like a sore thumb that losing the first goal has massively contributed to losing the league, hopefully this gets sorted for the new season as this one problem alone could be a massive difference to winning next year's title.

That is a brutal stat. Have to be pressing hard from word go next year

34 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

That's a very simplified view using averages.

We lost 1/4 of our goals this season in 3 games against them. The scum lost only 3 goals less than us but I doubt anyone suggests they hold on and see games out. Because they also score far more which is what we need to do.

Anyways, we need aim higher than having us seeing games out being the desire.

Hopefully we improve on scoring first and go on to score more far more frequently 👍

They also lost 9 of those goals in the last 3 games, after the league was won, and they'd lost their best defender. 

Take the old firm games out and we still lost 28 goals in 33 games. Far too many to realistically challenge for the league. Plus, the goals we lost against them were abysmal. Defending those goals better would have us going into today in a better place.

The desire isn't for us to be seeing games out, but knowing that in the games that we inevitably don't score 2 or more in, we can defend a tight lead. They don't see games out, but won a fair number at the death. I'd prefer to be in control of the game, than chasing a result in injury time.