Losing the first goal

hammer93

7 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Genuinely think the problem is more that we often dont score the first goal.

Sounds like the same thing, but its subtly different.

I was about to ask you if you were being serious then I just heard Guardiola saying "Man United play differently to Inter and Inter play differently to Man United ":lol:

12 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Wednesday night was the 14th game out of 37 that we have went behind, only 6 out the 14 have we recovered to take the 3pts, out the other 8 games we have dropped 20pts!!!

Out the other 23 games Hibs away (collum cost us) was the only game we dropped points from taking the lead....it sticks out like a sore thumb that losing the first goal has massively contributed to losing the league, hopefully this gets sorted for the new season as this one problem alone could be a massive difference to winning next year's title.

Would love us to start fast, be more clinical and get the opener, and push on and really hurt teams more than we do. If we can create fear of facing us like the scum have with most of the league, we'll be in a far better place. Not losing the opener so bloody regularly is a crucial part of that. 👍

3 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

Only 3 goals separate us from them in goals against this year in the league. I think the problem is our front line being weak as fuck not so much the defence.

They figures are slightly distorted recently as they have lost 9 in the last 3 games since cv has been out....to be fair our injuries in defence earlier in the season contributed heavily on us but it was clearly more evident in europe....I can't wait until we have forwards we can rely on to kill off games

32 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

I was about to ask you if you were being serious then I just heard Guardiola saying "Man United play differently to Inter and Inter play differently to Man United ":lol:

Haha, nah I was meaning in may of the cases where we have lost the first goal, it feels like we have passed up numerous chances to score first.

'Losing the first goal' tends to put the focus on the defence failing, whereas if you look at it as 'not scoring first' it puts the emphasis on the attack.

4 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

We are all aware we are doing a massive rebuild this summer, why even bother worrying about the stats from this season now 

Totally get that, it's just a barometer to show how significant it was into dropping points which ultimately cost you the league, i just want a different mind set to starting games slowly 

While I get the frustration, kinda pointless talking about this now. 

This team is going to look very different next season, all we can do right now is guess what happens next season.

But for my two cents, I'd say scoring the first goal is more important, that affects us more the longer we don't.

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

Wednesday night was the 14th game out of 37 that we have went behind, only 6 out the 14 have we recovered to take the 3pts, out the other 8 games we have dropped 20pts!!!

Out the other 23 games Hibs away (collum cost us) was the only game we dropped points from taking the lead....it sticks out like a sore thumb that losing the first goal has massively contributed to losing the league, hopefully this gets sorted for the new season as this one problem alone could be a massive difference to winning next year's title.

Do you know what the split is for the 14 is between Gio and MB ?

1 minute ago, Loyal72 said:

While I get the frustration, kinda pointless talking about this now. 

This team is going to look very different next season, all we can do right now is guess what happens next season.

Depend I guess if we spend on defensive options. 

Just now, Smile said:

Depend I guess if we spend on defensive options. 

I edited my post to include that the longer we don't score the first goal, I think that affects us more than conceding first.

If we were ruthless upfront, we'd not really have any qualms about conceding first now and again.

All guesswork right now tho, cause we don't know what this squad will look like really.

5 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

I edited my post to include that the longer we don't score the first goal, I think that affects us more than conceding first.

If we were ruthless upfront, we'd not really have any qualms about conceding first now and again.

All guesswork right now tho, cause we don't know what this squad will look like really.

Ye our forwards are not good enough since Colak got injured.

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

Interesting thread. Just to add for the comparison. The first 30 and last 15 we are far behind celtic.

First 15 minutes (goals scored/conceded):

They are 19-5 and we are 11-9. 

15-30 minutes they are 13-1 and we are 9-3.

Between 30 and 75 minute periods we are better.

Last 15 they are 28-6 and we are 19-7.

They come out the blocks at 100mph. Then tire. Then have better subs than we do.

We should have better options off the bench next year so would expect that last 15 to get better. As a side, binning this 5 sub rule would benefit us enormously vs them. Would hugely change the way they have to play.

7 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Interesting thread. Just to add for the comparison. The first 30 and last 15 we are far behind celtic.

First 15 minutes (goals scored/conceded):

They are 19-5 and we are 11-9. 

15-30 minutes they are 13-1 and we are 9-3.

Between 30 and 75 minute periods we are better.

Last 15 they are 28-6 and we are 19-7.

They come out the blocks at 100mph. Then tire. Then have better subs than we do.

We should have better options off the bench next year so would expect that last 15 to get better. As a side, binning this 5 sub rule would benefit us enormously vs them. Would hugely change the way they have to play.

bobsburgers-fox.gif

1 hour ago, theiconicman said:

Only 3 goals separate us from them in goals against this year in the league. I think the problem is our front line being weak as fuck not so much the defence.

Nail on the head. 

Morelos, Sakala and Colak scored 34 between them this season. In comparison Furuhashi has 25. Even Shankland has 24 as does Van Veen.

Our strikers have been rank rotten this season.