Kieran Wright

kelvd1873

1 hour ago, plymouthranger said:

He probably will, they need homegrown quotas for even their league squads. 

It’s why the likes of Carson are still at City, they’d never want to play him but 3rd choice keepers are never going to be used. They like experienced players with experience who won’t command big wages or upset anyone, McLaughlin fits into that and he counts as homegrown English. Don’t be surprised if he ends up at the likes of a Palace as a 3rd choice

Still there because he's a leader and very good friends with ederson, solid professional.

39 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

It's as if people don't know the EPL rules and why all the big clubs have old, terrible 3rd choice keepers they never expect to play, just because they're English. 

McLaughlin could get a 3rd choice EPL move if he wanted. 

I know the rules perfectly fine, I just think there’s plenty of keepers you would look to sign to fill that slot before Jon McLaughlin came into anybody’s thinking. 

Was our 4th choice keeper not one of those out of contract this season?

Might as well have someone from the youth team take over a place that is basically used for training and see how they develope. If they warrent a higher place in the pecking order then that will be a bonus, if not replace them down the line with another player from the youth setup.

3 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I know the rules perfectly fine, I just think there’s plenty of keepers you would look to sign to fill that slot before Jon McLaughlin came into anybody’s thinking. 

Probably not for a lower league team, someone like Sheffield United would probably utilise him as 3rd choice freeing up a space outfield for a non english trained player

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Probably not for a lower league team, someone like Sheffield United would probably utilise him as 3rd choice freeing up a space outfield for a non english trained player

There’s been plenty of shite 2nd/3rd choices in the EPL too, don’t get why people are acting surprised he could go there.

5 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

There’s not likely to be 20 better homegrown choice keepers willing to be 3rd choice and have no chance of playing. Especially with his experience playing here.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He retired a year ago. Also had a couple years of PL experience and a decade in the Championship. Most of McLaughlin's career has been League One

Lee Grant was first choice for one year in the Premier League and then was 3rd choice at one of the top clubs. There’s absolutely no reason McLaughlin wouldn’t be an option for the lower half.

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Most of them have third choices keepers who were established at Championship level. It might happen, but it’s highly unlikely.

He’s played in the Champions League, don’t really care where he goes as long as it’s not here tbh. Just don’t think it’s a crazy proposition that he’d be 3rd choice for a Fulham, Burnley or Luton.

13 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

Lee Grant was first choice for one year in the Premier League and then was 3rd choice at one of the top clubs. There’s absolutely no reason McLaughlin wouldn’t be an option for the lower half.

And he was first choice in the Championship for a decade. McLaughlin had one season in the Championship and a career spent in League One. Most teams in the bottom half don’t need to shoehorn an old English player into their squad to meet homegrown rules. 

Mclaughlin came to us on a free to be second fiddle to shagger, there were no EPL sides scrambling around trying to make him their 3rd choice at that time and I’m willing to bet none will this time 

On 29/05/2023 at 10:42, The Dude said:

He met it last season too and wasn’t even registered iirc

Would have been fourth in the pecking order at best last summer though so would have been there as a paperwork excercise only.

If he goes into this season as third choice then its plausible he may be required in a kit.