FIFA Club World Cup

15 minutes ago, OhW said:

Points are awarded as follows:

2 – All wins from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All wins in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All draws from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
0.5 – All draws in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
4 – Group stage bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Round of 16 bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group runners-up (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)
1 – Group runners-up (UECL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the round of 16 (UCL, UEL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the semi-finals (UECL)

Seems to me that Brugge might have a better shot at getting points together then If I’m thinking right?

say we qualify for CL and they qualify for UECL, they play cabbages and get the points while we get pumped by Bayern and co 😅

Suppose we get the 4 for CL qualification is a bit of a head start 

13 minutes ago, MattyBlue said:

Seems to me that Brugge might have a better shot at getting points together then If I’m thinking right?

say we qualify for CL and they qualify for UECL, they play cabbages and get the points while we get pumped by Bayern and co 😅

Suppose we get the 4 for CL qualification is a bit of a head start 

I used to think the points awarded were based on your opponent, but I must be thinking of internationals, that or they’ve changed the system since then. 

1 hour ago, MattyBlue said:

Also, this has us both on 54.0 points, them ahead on national team coefficient contribution 

3036186B-C30B-493A-8C1C-A13525410461.png

That doesn’t mean anything though does it because we’re 31st there and it’s 8 clubs competing for this tournament 

I don’t know myself the way it works but aye 

10 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

That doesn’t mean anything though does it because we’re 31st there and it’s 8 clubs competing for this tournament 

I don’t know myself the way it works but aye 

I ain’t got a scooby about it tbh, just know i was reading earlier we would be hoping for Brugge to not catch us, but then this says they are ahead 🤷🏻‍♂️

31 minutes ago, MattyBlue said:

I ain’t got a scooby about it tbh, just know i was reading earlier we would be hoping for Brugge to not catch us, but then this says they are ahead 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aye I haven’t a notion how the points are actually amounted tbh. Don’t think anyone does 

12 hours ago, MattyBlue said:

Also, this has us both on 54.0 points, them ahead on national team coefficient contribution 

That is the position for the last 5 years. Only tge last 3 years of this period counts along with this season. Doesn't change it much but moves us up to 27th and gives us a 2 pint cushion over Brugges. 

2 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

Looks like it ignores the country scores, we were in 6th place for points gained in last 5 years across Europe, so this makes sense I think.

We are currently 27th in the rankings but as only 1 team per country qualifies, except CL winners it moves us up to 7th. For example Man C, Liverpool. Chelsea, Man U and West Ham are all above us but Chelsea and possibly Man C could get in as CL winners but then only 1 of Liv, Man U and WH can get in. If Man C lose tomorrow it will be them as the highest ranked English side at thr expense of the other 3. 

7 minutes ago, Brubear said:

That is the position for the last 5 years. Only tge last 3 years of this period counts along with this season. Doesn't change it much but moves us up to 27th and gives us a 2 pint cushion over Brugges. 

Makes more sense I guess 

15 hours ago, MattyBlue said:

It's individual club coefficient though. I don't think the national team failings have any effect on us. 

It would actually be better to be in the Europa next season, purely for this alone. 

43 minutes ago, King Jela said:

It's individual club coefficient though. I don't think the national team failings have any effect on us. 

It would actually be better to be in the Europa next season, purely for this alone. 

I’d much prefer playing in europa, just need the CL money unfortunately 

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Don’t get people preferring EL to CL.

Should always be wanting CL groups and then at the very least going to the EL. 

Europa League is a far better competition from a fans perspective for me. If it wasn't for the money I'd happily never be in the champions league again the way it is now.

9 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

Europa League is a far better competition from a fans perspective for me. If it wasn't for the money I'd happily never be in the champions league again the way it is now.

I just find the EL boring these days tbh :lol: Not even just from a Rangers perspective, CL isn’t much better now though, but at least it mean’s you’re not playing on a Sunday constantly

4 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I just find the EL boring these days tbh :lol: Not even just from a Rangers perspective, CL isn’t much better now though, but at least it mean’s you’re not playing on a Sunday constantly

Could not disagree more if I tried.

21 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Don’t get people preferring EL to CL.

Should always be wanting CL groups and then at the very least going to the EL. 

We're more competitive in the Europa and have a punchers chance at making it to the final. 

We need to get lucky with a good group to have a decent chance at progressing through the CL, and even then there's next to no chance of making it past the last 16. 

It'll be even more pointless for us next season, finances aside, when there's no drop offs to the Europa. 

11 minutes ago, King Jela said:

We're more competitive in the Europa and have a punchers chance at making it to the final. 

We need to get lucky with a good group to have a decent chance at progressing through the CL, and even then there's next to no chance of making it past the last 16. 

It'll be even more pointless for us next season, finances aside, when there's no drop offs to the Europa. 

If City win it, then we have a good chance at an easier group next season imo, IF we can somehow get back to good levels in the CL.

1 minute ago, Somemightsay7 said:

That's a lot easier said than done.

I know, still doesn’t stop it being what we should be wanting/aiming for.

28 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I much prefer the EL.

CL is the same teams. At least in the Europa you get more variety (Minus Seville).

Even with Seville's run, there have been 10 different winners in the last 15 and in the knockouts you have different teams all the time.

I also feel in the Europa it's more even. A lot of the CL games are super one-sided.

9 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

If City win it, then we have a good chance at an easier group next season imo, IF we can somehow get back to good levels in the CL.

What's the City angle? How would them winning it potentially get us an easier group? Haven't heard that mentioned. 

5 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

I much prefer the EL.

CL is the same teams. At least in the Europa you get more variety (Minus Seville).

Even with Seville's run, there have been 10 different winners in the last 15 and in the knockouts you have different teams all the time.

I also feel in the Europa it's more even. A lot of the CL games are super one-sided.

The best thing about Sevilla winning it is that it's totally out of nowhere. Bit different to, say, City or Real winning the CL. 

Sevilla had no right to be getting past Man United and then they completely fluked a draw at Old Trafford.