Massive new TV deal for the Netherlands.

Loyal72

Just now, esquire8 said:

They get more for 1 season than we get for 5. Total joke. Heads should roll.

Frightening. 

And no one in the Scottish set up seems to give a fuck, Ajax went out and said fuck this deal, got the whole league a better one.

No one in this league is prepared or capable of doing similar, we've tried but no one likes is obviously.

7 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Frightening. 

And no one in the Scottish set up seems to give a fuck, Ajax went out and said fuck this deal, got the whole league a better one.

No one in this league is prepared or capable of doing similar, we've tried but no one likes is obviously.

Mind we went out and bought the Indian TV rights from Doncaster and sold them on the next day for a big profit. Guys like Doncaster and Lawwell don't give a single fuck.

Our viewing figures are pretty much equal to the likes of the Eredivisie and EFL Championship yet get peanuts for it.

The difference is the majority of eredivisie games are shown on tv over the weekend with staggered kick off times.

Thats leads to more advertising revenue for the broadcasters. 
The problem here is people like the traditional all games 3pm so it’s a minority on tv.

Obviously a broadcaster is going to offer a lot less for 48 games over a period than 250+

2 hours ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

Only 2 clubs in this country have any level of ambition so it's no surprise that time and again we get given shite by those running the game and everyone just accepts it.

They should be embarrassed, happy to sit around and take what is given to them.

And then they wonder why nothing is ever voted through or acted upon.

The football in this country could be so much better.

4 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Mind we went out and bought the Indian TV rights from Doncaster and sold them on the next day for a big profit. Guys like Doncaster and Lawwell don't give a single fuck.

Our viewing figures are pretty much equal to the likes of the Eredivisie and EFL Championship yet get peanuts for it.

That's not true, both have significantly higher viewing figures. 

You're comparing the viewing figures of games involving Rangers or celtic vs the average of every game in the Championship. 

Games involving Rangers or celtic have slightly higher averages than Championship games, but the Championship can get that average across hundreds of games, not just 30-odd games involving 2 clubs. 

39 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

That's not true, both have significantly higher viewing figures. 

You're comparing the viewing figures of games involving Rangers or celtic vs the average of every game in the Championship. 

Games involving Rangers or celtic have slightly higher averages than Championship games, but the Championship can get that average across hundreds of games, not just 30-odd games involving 2 clubs. 

Biggest viewing figures for Eredivisie are Ajax and PSV which brings in around 1.2m viewers. Old Firm is around 1.5m. 

Championship viewing figures never get above a million which is comparable to any game involving either Old Firm side. 

The point is very comparable to the Eridivisie which is what this topic is about. I brought up Championship as they get significantly more per club than us despite significantly less coverage than us. 

The deal was absolute bullshit. Don't care about the £ per game shite than Doncaster peddles. More £ coming into our game means more to spend period. 

2 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Biggest viewing figures for Eredivisie are Ajax and PSV which brings in around 1.2m viewers. Old Firm is around 1.5m. 

Championship viewing figures never get above a million which is comparable to any game involving either Old Firm side. 

The point is very comparable to the Eridivisie which is what this topic is about. I brought up Championship as they get significantly more per club than us despite significantly less coverage than us. 

The deal was absolute bullshit. Don't care about the £ per game shite than Doncaster peddles. More £ coming into our game means more to spend period. 

Your comparison is wrong though. You're looking at one single game that is only played 4 times a year. The average for an OF game is also between 500k to 1m based on the most recent figures here

TV companies aren't bidding on the viewing figures of 1 game, they are bidding based on the entire league and total viewing figures. 

200+ games at 220k viewers is drastically more valuable than 40 games at 300k.

The figure that is important is the total number of viewers across all games for the full season. The total number of viewers for the SPFL in 20/21 was 13m - the championship was something like 50m, so comparing revenue per viewer it's actually pretty much the same between the leagues with the SPFL's £150m 5 year deal and the Championships 5 year £595m deal - £2.31 per viewer vs £2.38 per viewer.

That's how tv companies decide on how much to spend. They have an acquisition cost they are willing to spend per user so if you divide down any Sky contract they will generally come to a similar per user amount. The same will apply in the Netherlands.

6 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

The difference is the majority of eredivisie games are shown on tv over the weekend with staggered kick off times.

Thats leads to more advertising revenue for the broadcasters. 
The problem here is people like the traditional all games 3pm so it’s a minority on tv.

Obviously a broadcaster is going to offer a lot less for 48 games over a period than 250+

Added to the fact the Netherlands isn't directly competing with the EPL.

6 hours ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

Only 2 clubs in this country have any level of ambition so it's no surprise that time and again we get given shite by those running the game and everyone just accepts it.

Both have ambition, one happily sees bad deals for the rest of the league knowing it strengthens their own position.

1 hour ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Your comparison is wrong though. You're looking at one single game that is only played 4 times a year. The average for an OF game is also between 500k to 1m based on the most recent figures here

TV companies aren't bidding on the viewing figures of 1 game, they are bidding based on the entire league and total viewing figures. 

200+ games at 220k viewers is drastically more valuable than 40 games at 300k.

The figure that is important is the total number of viewers across all games for the full season. The total number of viewers for the SPFL in 20/21 was 13m - the championship was something like 50m, so comparing revenue per viewer it's actually pretty much the same between the leagues with the SPFL's £150m 5 year deal and the Championships 5 year £595m deal - £2.31 per viewer vs £2.38 per viewer.

That's how tv companies decide on how much to spend. They have an acquisition cost they are willing to spend per user so if you divide down any Sky contract they will generally come to a similar per user amount. The same will apply in the Netherlands.

Whilst all that is true we still come back to the chicken and egg scenario that the fact Championship gets a bigger TV deal means they can afford a better quality of player / staff and therefor the quality is better so there are more “casual” viewers.

I also think for a long time the softer side of upselling the game up here in terms of things like coverage on Sky Sports News, advertisement of games, or pre & post match analysis Scottish football gets from Sky compared to English football leads to less awareness / interest outwith the OF.

That is entirely our fault historically. We would never have gotten the same coverage as the EPL, but before we fucked off to try ntl, Setanta and then BT we used to get a decent level of coverage. We left, and Sky stopped caring as much about Scottish football (why would they actively promote a league that was being shown on a competitors network?) and then when we came crawling back they were able to get a relatively cheap deal for broadcasting and coverage of the English Leagues has moved on so much that there is no way / no point in trying to catch it up as they are getting the deal relatively cheaply.

It’s not necessarily a popular opinion but the only way I can see the Scottish leagues TV deals improving now is by having to take a massive gamble and going with another broadcaster who are willing to go all in in promoting the SPFL and also take on broadcasting all of Scottish football (cups / national team / European football - although I am not sure how that works if BT get to buy the rights for Britain or England and Scotland separately) so you sweep up as much of the footballing viewing population as possible. On top of that we need to be looking at things like the Dutch are doing to televising as many games as possible to maximise advertising.

It will never happen as too many have been burnt by half hearted attempts with Setanta / BT Sports / ntl and are happy to take the little we get and survive, but we need to find a way to promote the league to make it more marketable to drive up its worth to advertisers and while we are with Sky I just do not see that as a possibility as why would they actively promote us over the EPL & EFL?

30 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

It’s not necessarily a popular opinion but the only way I can see the Scottish leagues TV deals improving now is by having to take a massive gamble and going with another broadcaster who are willing to go all in in promoting the SPFL and also take on broadcasting all of Scottish football (cups / national team / European football - although I am not sure how that works if BT get to buy the rights for Britain or England and Scotland separately) so you sweep up as much of the footballing viewing population as possible. On top of that we need to be looking at things like the Dutch are doing to televising as many games as possible to maximise advertising.

It will never happen as too many have been burnt by half hearted attempts with Setanta / BT Sports / ntl and are happy to take the little we get and survive, but we need to find a way to promote the league to make it more marketable to drive up its worth to advertisers and while we are with Sky I just do not see that as a possibility as why would they actively promote us over the EPL & EFL?

I agree with that. I think a lot of people just seem to think we should be getting deals much closer to what the likes of the Championship are getting from Sky/BT, which in the current market makes no sense at all. 

Sky Sports and BT don't need us, so they're not going to pay anything over market rate. 

The only way to see more significant amounts is, as you said, to take a risk and go with a different provider altogether. Going with Viaplay for the cups was a good deal and the right call as it was financially far better for us, but most supports criticised it. 

Getting a partnership with Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Netflix etc would be ideal, but very unlikely and would come with huge push back from fans.

The damage was done decades ago. 

25 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

I agree with that. I think a lot of people just seem to think we should be getting deals much closer to what the likes of the Championship are getting from Sky/BT, which in the current market makes no sense at all. 

Sky Sports and BT don't need us, so they're not going to pay anything over market rate. 

The only way to see more significant amounts is, as you said, to take a risk and go with a different provider altogether. Going with Viaplay for the cups was a good deal and the right call as it was financially far better for us, but most supports criticised it. 

Getting a partnership with Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Netflix etc would be ideal, but very unlikely and would come with huge push back from fans.

The damage was done decades ago. 

The only way going with “another” provider would work if it is a single subscription to get everything. Only the most ardent fans are going to sign up for a Viaplay for the cups, but if you bundled cups, league, national team and European football (like I said above not sure how that works with UEFA selling the rights) then it might just work.

Also being far more flexible with kick offs and in depth / innovative in coverage might bring in some additional viewers. I wouldn’t say I would go out of my way to watch it, but if I had a subscription and knew it was on I might tune in to a Motherwell v Hearts on a Saturday evening for something to do.

The truth that Sky try to desperately hide behind the glossy presentation and adverts is that a lot of the games they show aren’t particularly great.

For example on Monday night next week they are showing Nottingham Forrest vs Burnley. Obviously can’t predict which games are going to be barn burners, and there is every chance I end up looking like a mug when it finishes 5-4, but I can’t honestly say that that game has massive appeal for me and if there was a head to head choice between that or watching a game involving teams in our league I would probably be tuning into the latter.

I would assume the same would probably be true for the majority of Scottish watching TV audience (obviously there will always be people who have random 2nd teams and a general interest in watching the traditionally big teams) but the problem is while we are with Sky there is no opportunity for smaller games to be shown as they know they have enough games from the English leagues to satisfy the market who just want to put some football on to watch (no matter the game) and will always get decent followings for the Old Firm.

I genuinely can’t understand how clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs don’t see that getting more exposure away from the Old Firm is hurting them in that fans who are maybe mildly interested / can’t get to games can’t see them outside when they play the OF (mostly at home when they will get most of their home attendance anyway), a derby game, or a crappy 5 minute highlight package or an illegal stream which is only going to lessen their interest in watching more regularly and maybe end up going to more games.

Think is was a guy from the Norwegian (?) league that identified this as one of their major successes from putting all their games on live. Rather than driving crowds down they started finding more people going to games and when they did the research they found fans who had stopped going / rarely went said being able to watch their team play more regularly on TV made them want to then go and attend more games live.

Far, far better league than ours. Bigger population. Outside us and the scum games, nobody gives a flying fuck about Scottish football outside Scotland.

I can't tell you the last time I watched a Scottish league game that didn't involve us. I can't be fucked watching Dundee v St Mirren, we can't even get Scottish people interested in our own game.