Title 55 or Europa League 2022

I may be in the minority, but I've never understood the fixation with winning 10 in a row. 

I'm not naive, I understand it would be a big one-up and a get it up you, but if we're being honest, it's not like the 80s or late 70s anymore. You'd have Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hearts, Them, Us in amongst it winning titles every other year. 

The standard of our league is absolutely dug meat in comparison, so to win that 10 times, aye well done. 

Give me European success all day long. I get that they go hand in hand, winning the league generates money from champions league etc, I do wish we had won that fucking game against Frankfurt. I'm hopeful we can get to another final in the next 10 years, third time lucky. 

1 hour ago, AustinGio said:

I may be in the minority, but I've never understood the fixation with winning 10 in a row. 

I'm not naive, I understand it would be a big one-up and a get it up you, but if we're being honest, it's not like the 80s or late 70s anymore. You'd have Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hearts, Them, Us in amongst it winning titles every other year. 

The standard of our league is absolutely dug meat in comparison, so to win that 10 times, aye well done. 

Give me European success all day long. I get that they go hand in hand, winning the league generates money from champions league etc, I do wish we had won that fucking game against Frankfurt. I'm hopeful we can get to another final in the next 10 years, third time lucky. 

I kinda agree. 

55 was brilliant, but would any Rangers supporter really have been moaning about them getting to 10 if we'd won the Europa that same season?

I know which one of the 2 achievements that would've been more respected. 

On 07/05/2024 at 08:14, NixonRFC said:

The last five and a half weeks of that season was a hard watch just by how exhausted the players were, think we played 13 games in 35 days and only won four of them outright, although that's including draws with Fiorentina and St Johnstone which we won on pens.

Remember being frustrated with them in some games when you could see they just never had it in them to get over the line, Hibs and Motherwell away spring to mind, then you just needed to remind yourself that they're human and clearly exhausted, remember beating Motherwell at home, Fergie scored with about 15 minutes to go, and that was a slog too, we had a 67% win percentage in all competitions up until that 13 games in 38 days, and that win percentage dropped to 30% for that last five and a half weeks.

It became an impossible task.

One thing that's often overlooked from that season aswell is I think just about every one of our Scottish cup ties went to a replay with even the semi going all the way to penalties against st Johnstone 

In spite of everything the SPL and SFA did to hinder us if they jammy bastards don't get that last minute goal in the rearranged midweek game at the piggery we probably go on and win that title 

8 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

One thing that's often overlooked from that season aswell is I think just about every one of our Scottish cup ties went to a replay with even the semi going all the way to penalties against st Johnstone 

In spite of everything the SPL and SFA did to hinder us if they jammy bastards don't get that last minute goal in the rearranged midweek game at the piggery we probably go on and win that title 

Think the only cup tie that didn't go to a replay was the first one in round three, but the original game got postponed because our pitch was flooded, so that got shifted into the replay schedule, so it felt like a replay.

Totally understood Walter trying to freshen up the squad in those cup ties, but it never done us any favours, just gave us even more games to play.

That last minute goal was a sickener because the tims had given up, week before it Motherwell beat them at the piggery, Boab Malcome got sent off and the whole stadium was changing "Strachan Strachan get to fuck", that win over us gave them belief they never had from about November that season, Cuellar's save on the line was all for nothing.

1 hour ago, NixonRFC said:

Think the only cup tie that didn't go to a replay was the first one in round three, but the original game got postponed because our pitch was flooded, so that got shifted into the replay schedule, so it felt like a replay.

Totally understood Walter trying to freshen up the squad in those cup ties, but it never done us any favours, just gave us even more games to play.

That last minute goal was a sickener because the tims had given up, week before it Motherwell beat them at the piggery, Boab Malcome got sent off and the whole stadium was changing "Strachan Strachan get to fuck", that win over us gave them belief they never had from about November that season, Cuellar's save on the line was all for nothing.

The resulting penalty and it's save ended up putting McGregor out for the rest of the season too if I remember right ?

Not to discredit Alexander who done a decent enough job at stepping in but the run in with McGregor could have made a big difference 

Europa for me.

The filth are our domestic challengers. We have more titles than them obviously. Euro football is a step up and we should aspire to that level. I have always had that aspiration.

It was on our 150th anniversary. Would have been our 2nd Euro cup too!

After going down to the lower divisions and getting there, that is the no surrender attitude I love about our great Club.

Our younger supporters deserved it for following us through our troubles more than anyone. Loads of depressing trophyless seasons and they still pushed on.

I was heat broken after the penalty shootout, but, more so,  I feel guilty that the young lads/lassies that followed us through our toughest times didn't get the reward they deserved.

They are the true heroes.

Respect to each and every one of yous.

Next time...