BBC says sorry for Ibrox insult

BBC says sorry for Ibrox insult

THE BBC has apologised after a Radio Scotland presenter read out an email on the channel's Newsdrive programme last week saying Ibrox is home to "half-human, half-animal hybrids".

At the end of a debate on human embryos, presenters Ruth Davidson and Abeer Macintyre read out listeners' emails. One of the comments stated: "Half-human, half-animal hybrids are not new – Ibrox has been their home for over a century."

The comment went unchallenged prompting a deluge of complaints from livid Rangers supporters. A BBC Scotland spokesman said: "We agree it wasn't a very constructive contribution to the debate and apologise for any offence caused."

It's not the first time the BBC has been in hot water with Rangers fans.

Two years ago, BBC weather girl and Kilmarnock fan Kirsty McCabe advised viewers to "wrap up warm if they are heading for Castle Greyskull" in a dig at Ibrox.

I don't think that their apology is up to much.

Remember the Kevin Thomson picture that was named "kevin_c*nt_thomson"?

You're also almost guaranteed that when the BBC has our European matches, on the same night it's virtually never the top story, in the shadow of some ladies curling story or such like. Watch Reporting Scotland now that we're in the UEFA QF and let's see if it improves.

There's definitely a wee clique in BBC Scotland that consists of bigots who are out to have a dig at us.

The Kevin Thomson picture is not the only example of BBC Scotland using the "alt" tag of an image to have a dig about Rangers.

Was the term "h**" not included in one aswell at some point?

The BBC in this country are fucking so anti Rangers it's sick. The best thing about it though is that they have British in their name and that will sicken them more than anything they can ever throw at us.

To Hell with the BBC , and in particular BBC Scotland. The latter is stuffed with West End, lentil munching ponces that inevitably despise Rangers as a Club.

Sums it up for me. Nothing new in them letting comments like that go unchallenged and then come out with a half arsed "apology" if anyone was offended.

Relax - it aint the end of the world that some tic fan has got one up on us by tricking the BBC. We should just do the same - and get a sense of humour!

This just isn't about this specific example - although I certainly don't pay over a tenner a month to be compared to animals during what is a very serious debate on a show I regularly listen to.

Over the last year or so there have been several editorial/production decisions at this publicly funded organisation which seem to go against their policy of being neutral and are continually offensive towards you, me and our club.

When does it stop? How long have we to laugh these slurs off? Do you really think I could get an email read out comparing any other facet of society to animals?

They are pathetic. We should have sued them.

Frankie - can the RST sue them on behalf of RFC Support - a class action lawsuit? That would make them more humble.

Legal action is a very expensive last resort. Most media platforms would be very careful to ensure they are not left open to this - hence the apology in this case where the BBC quite clearly did not follow their own guidelines.

Ergo, as much as I'd love to sue this company, it's not really possible financially or logistically.

I remember on the transfer window of 2007, Richard Gordon reading out an email that Sebo is being transferred to Edinburgh Zoo

They were forced to do a half hearted apology then as well, how many times? :angry2:

Frankie - can the RST sue them on behalf of RFC Support - a class action lawsuit? That would make them more humble.

Legal action is a very expensive last resort. Most media platforms would be very careful to ensure they are not left open to this - hence the apology in this case where the BBC quite clearly did not follow their own guidelines.

Ergo, as much as I'd love to sue this company, it's not really possible financially or logistically.

As it goes, Rangers as the owners of Ibrox are the only ones who could realistically sue.

Frankie's spot on - now that a public apology has been aired, any action would only be for extremely limited damages and it's questionable whether any damages would cover the cost of legal duty.

Yes, I am sitting doing a Journalism Law essay before anyone asks :(

The Kevin Thomson picture is not the only example of BBC Scotland using the "alt" tag of an image to have a dig about Rangers.

The BBC in this country are fucking so anti Rangers it's sick. The best thing about it though is that they have British in their name and that will sicken them more than anything they can ever throw at us.

Only really BBC Scotland tbh :pipe:

Was the term "Hun" not included in one aswell at some point?

Only really BBC Scotland tbh :pipe:

Spot on, jeff, yet again! (tu)

I seem to remember Thomson being called Kevhun in a bbc pic.

I have thought the BBC was biased for ages................just thought i was being paraniod!

i check the BBC website everyday for the football news etc, and i always notice there main headlines are about celtic, never rangers!

Its a very frustrating situation with the media in this country, i for one definiatly find them biased.

Not really much we as fans can do about it though, short of not paying our TV licences/stoping buying certain papers etc.

they can call me anything they wish.

at the end of the day sayin to any tim whos slagged me "get it f**kin up ye, yer teams shite n yous wun f**k all, who won the treble?"

will be good enough revenge for any insult chucked at me!

I wish we had Alastair Campbell on our team, he really cut the luvys of the BBC down to size (tu)

Guest Andypendek

hopefully we'll leave the employing of shady characters who bear responsibility for an illegal war to the other mob.