Gordon Smith - turning?

Danny

Not long ago we were all thrilled a bluenose was in charge of the SFA.

A powerful Rangers thinker who had respect.

Perfect.

And yet, two major stories have emerged in the past 2 or 3 days; the Thomson 'dive' which wasn't, and the tims with their pro IRA chanting.

One of these stories is being discussed by the SFA, Smith in particular. One is being ignored.

I find that curious...

If smith brought up the i.r.a chants he would be labeled a bigot, pro rangers anti Celtic and corrupt. Alot of people were happy he got that job, but whilst i was pleased for him, i knew that it meant the scum would get away with a few things.

Eh, from what I saw, thommo knew exactly what he was doing. He was blatently trying to win advantage by false means. at least be honest about that much Danny

I've already expressed my position on this one.

But the point is Smith decided to highlight 'diving' now rather than during any number of previous incidents?

And has nothing to say about tim chanting?

Guest The Brown Brogue

Smith has commented on diving on a few previous occasions, quite recently in fact.

And as far as the chanting goes, if you are meaning in Barcelona then this has nothing to do with the SFA and as UEFA has (questionably) cleared them theres not a lot Smith can do about it.

Eh, from what I saw, thommo knew exactly what he was doing. He was blatently trying to win advantage by false means. at least be honest about that much Danny

But the point is Smith decided to highlight 'diving' now rather than during any number of previous incidents?

please point me in the direction of your viewpoint mate. i aint seen it and I am keen to know how you view it

I've not been paying attention so don't know what's been going on or said?

Still not seen the Thomson replay either.

Gordon Smith is in a lose, lose situation. Whatever he does or say's is going to be questioned by the tims and the rest just because he played for us.

please point me in the direction of your viewpoint mate. i aint seen it and I am keen to know how you view it

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...t&p=2340965

Smith has made his opinion on diving/cheating very clear on a number of occasions before now. As for not discussing the Celtic chants in Barca, that doesn't come under SFA's remit.

Remember, Gordon may be a Rangers man but he's just one person on a committee that makes the rules/strategic decisions. Yes, his position allows him to comment on a number of differing matters but he has to be very careful in what battles he chooses in what is still an early period for him in the job.

To suggest he's somehow 'turning' because he's doing his job fairly and accurately as he can is an insult. We should expect no special treatment from the man.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...t&p=2340965

cheers mate. its a terminology thing more than anything. I agree dive isnt the correct term. but he was "playing for it". Not that I find that a problem, he's entitled too.

Smith has made his opinion on diving/cheating very clear on a number of occasions before now. As for not discussing the Celtic chants in Barca, that doesn't come under SFA's remit.

Remember, Gordon may be a Rangers man but he's just one person on a committee that makes the rules/strategic decisions. Yes, his position allows him to comment on a number of differing matters but he has to be very careful in what battles he chooses in what is still an early period for him in the job.

To suggest he's somehow 'turning' because he's doing his job fairly and accurately as he can is an insult. We should expect no special treatment from the man.

Agreed. Let's not turn on the good guys because they are being objective.

Agreed. Let's not turn on the good guys because they are being objective.

Gordon Smith is as big a Rangers man as I know.

As such, yes, we can hope this means our viewpoint is heard at the top tables but, as most of us who've complained about our treatment in the past have asked for, we only want fairness and impartiality - not favours!

I reckon Kevin Thomson made a meal of that incident the other day and could easily have been sent off. Does that mean I'm any less of a fan?

Fair point, Frankie, but when Scottish football is again in the spotlight, I would have expected a mention if only to say, "We will be contacting UEFA to get details on their apparent investigation."

Exactly Frankie, we're not asking for special treatment, just a level playing field.

Thomson did not dive but he did cheat to try to take advantage, it was blatant and is wrong.

However, we have seen Steven Gerrard doing the very same time and time again and being labelled clever and even heroic for doing this.

The whole thing has been blown up beyond proportion in sheer desperation. I was at the match and from my angle it looked that Thomson had been taken out and I could not understand the furore on the radio on the way home and in the press the following day. Having seen the replay of the game and the view from the other side, Thomson did stick out his leg but what got me was Crocker and Booth almost crying with hysteria whining for a red card and as a result the whole thing has snowballed.

Smith, having gone out on a limb with his campaign to punish simulation retrospectively, has now had it thrown back at him by our voraciously biased press core and now had to defend his own badly thought out mission.

Exactamundo

Smithy like Frankie said has commented quite strongly on diving before and has discussed it with Blatter and Platini. This is not a new subject for him.

As far as the chanting by CFC fans goes I never thought that would ever get anywhere anyway.

G Smith is NOT turning, nor likely to in my opinion, but he needs to be seen as impartial, which he will be.

Dive is a dive.

You can get brushed by an arm and they call it a dive....it's a dive at the end of the day guys.

Thomson made sure there was contact and he dived. Was lucky not to get sent off.

We should expect no special treatment from the man.

Exactly. Good post. People are always whining about bias yet seem to suggest Gordon Smith should be leaning towards us. Fairness is all we can expect or demand.