Next season

nvager

If as we seem certain to do, spend 10m plus on quality players - will any youngster EVER see a POSSIBILITY of getting into the first team when Walter is the boss?

his track record on this is poor at Ibrox, although marginally better this time than last.

at Scotland, however, he did give some lads a chance to prove themselves so I think when he sees spirit he will reward it.

If as we seem certain to do, spend 10m plus on quality players - will any youngster EVER see a POSSIBILITY of getting into the first team when Walter is the boss?

his track record on this is poor at Ibrox, although marginally better this time than last.

at Scotland, however, he did give some lads a chance to prove themselves so I think when he sees spirit he will reward it.

I think there is more chance of John Hartson winning the 100m at the Olympics than Walter giving our youngsters a real chance.

This is the guy that would have let Bazza go as a youngster. You can understand where he is coming from in terms of having an experienced team, but it will do us no harm having the boys in the squad rather than forking out 500k here and there on squad players that will never be seen again. I still think it is a season too early for Fleck, but Furman should be pushing now. If we are bringing in quality for the first team then fair enough, the boys will have to wait, but if they are still missing out because of the likes of Adam and Burke then questions need to be asked.

It's interesting what we say about Walter but I have a questions regarding this, was it not Walter that brought a young Gattuso to Rangers and DA got rid of him?

As for our current crop of youngsters, I feel that there is still a gap of about two years before some of them will be ready, the proof in that is the performances in the reserve team when we play a lot of youngsters, there is also this issue that we as fans must insist on success all the time, to achieve that you must bring in players with experience.

As for next season, I think Furman, Fleck, Lennon and Shinnie will be given more of a chance than they've been given this season, but if they do make the grade I still think it will be a couple of seasons before they'll be regulars.

I still can't believe that people are criticising Walter for the lack of youth in our side when we have players like Broadfoot, Whittaker, Davis, Thomson and Naismith in and around the first team. Sure they aren't excatly young, but they aren't exactly wily veterans either are they?

Of course it would be nice to see a few of the younger players coming through and actually playing in the first team, but generally speaking youth brings inconsistancy. Just ask Hibs or Arsenal.

I just think that in a period where we have gained an incredible level of consistancy I think it would be a very bold move to rock the boat and throw in a whole load of untested kids.

IMO a few of them should be sent out on loan next season. They need some sort of top team experience before they can be considered for our first team. Playing on loan never did McGregor or Adam any harm did it?

smith has shown his hand time and time again concerning youngsters...........its pathetic....

if was still manager at everton, rooney would b still rotting in the reserves....we has plenty young talent but i doubt they will get a decent chance under his management

he would rather have dailly etc.........

I still can't believe that people are criticising Walter for the lack of youth in our side when we have players like Broadfoot, Whittaker, Davis, Thomson and Naismith in and around the first team. Sure they aren't excatly young, but they aren't exactly wily veterans either are they?

Of course it would be nice to see a few of the younger players coming through and actually playing in the first team, but generally speaking youth brings inconsistancy. Just ask Hibs or Arsenal.

I just think that in a period where we have gained an incredible level of consistancy I think it would be a very bold move to rock the boat and throw in a whole load of untested kids.

IMO a few of them should be sent out on loan next season. They need some sort of top team experience before they can be considered for our first team. Playing on loan never did McGregor or Adam any harm did it?

all the player u have mentioned were not a product of our youth system..........mcgregor is an exception, adam is pish

naismith was the best youngster in the spl two years in a row, yet has hardly shined under smiths guidance?!

"I still can't believe that people are criticising Walter for the lack of youth in our side when we have players like Broadfoot, Whittaker, Davis, Thomson and Naismith in and around the first team. Sure they aren't excatly young, but they aren't exactly wily veterans either are they?"

These players were signed from other teams where youth is given a chance. Walter has been prepared to sign young players from other clubs but always extremely unlikely to give our own youngsters a chance.

"I still can't believe that people are criticising Walter for the lack of youth in our side when we have players like Broadfoot, Whittaker, Davis, Thomson and Naismith in and around the first team. Sure they aren't excatly young, but they aren't exactly wily veterans either are they?"

These players were signed from other teams where youth is given a chance. Walter has been prepared to sign young players from other clubs but always extremely unlikely to give our own youngsters a chance.

exactly!

My feeling is that - yes I can see Walter's viewpoint especially this season, but again I cannot believe that Furman for example is any worse than CA and LM given some of their dire displays.

Perhaps next year when they are older/stronger and Walter has some decent players to guide/carry them then a couple of youngsters will get a chance.

The season after that though we may lose a lot of talent if they think they will never get a chance at Ibrox.

i would love to see some of them next season. Furman i think should be given a fair chance in the first team. Fleck maybe not yet, there's no denying he looks brilliant, but he is still very young. Shinnie and Lennon are 2 others who should be in for a shout.

I think walter will give them their chance, cause he's not stupid enough not to know we have some amount of talent in the youth.

Look at hibs, they give their youngsters a chance early in their careers, and look at how many have grabbed that opportunity and flourished remarkably. KT wouldn't be where he is today if he hadn't got a chance.

Hibs aren't expected to win every week, Rangers are. Thats the difference.

Yes most of them didn't come through our system but look at the pelters we give/gave younger guys like Adam, Naismith, Whittaker, Broadfoot even Hutton before his remarkable change in fortunes.

The simple truth of the matter is that we as a fan base are very harsh and I doubt that we would be willing to accept the inconsistancy that youth brings and generally speaking we are going to rely on other teams to bring through players before we sign them.

We will always get one or two coming through, but I doubt that we will be pushing the number of youngsters that teams like Hibs do.

Look at hibs, they give their youngsters a chance early in their careers, and look at how many have grabbed that opportunity and flourished remarkably. KT wouldn't be where he is today if he hadn't got a chance.

Hibs aren't expected to win every week, Rangers are. Thats the difference.

Yes most of them didn't come through our system but look at the pelters we give/gave younger guys like Adam, Naismith, Whittaker, Broadfoot even Hutton before his remarkable change in fortunes.

The simple truth of the matter is that we as a fan base are very harsh and I doubt that we would be willing to accept the inconsistancy that youth brings and generally speaking we are going to rely on other teams to bring through players before we sign them.

We will always get one or two coming through, but I doubt that we will be pushing the number of youngsters that teams like Hibs do.

Spot on

Rangers cant afford to give younger players a run in the team, because they will be inconsistent, they will make mistakes and the fans are harsh, as they have a right to be.

Quite simply Rangers will have to bring through their own players.

European Football will require more and more homegrown players named in UEFA Cup and Champions League squads.

Wouldn't like to see gaps in the squad cause we've signed other clubs young players rather than bring through our own.

That said, If I was a boy with footballing talent, theres no way I'd sign up for the Rangers youth teams and spend 5 years of my professional career on the bench, only to get pumped on to a second division side when I'm no longer useful for the under 21 spaces on the bench.

Nail squarely on the napper there.

Introducing youth to this side after so many trophy less seasons would be suicide, in my opinion. If no youth comes through but we continue to be successful, then that's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to take.

Agree with Emmerson, we could have lost Barry in Walter's first term because of his reluctance to play him. I remember hosting the former youth team player Peter Levin who was in Bermuda for a youth team tournament some years ago and he was adamant that Barry Ferguson was better than Gasgoine and should be playing in the first team. I hadn't really heard of Ferguson then and thought, wow, he must be some player for a youth team player to say he is better than Gasgoine. Now Gasgoine was brilliant but around that time when we were pushing for ten in a row I think a young Ferguson would have made a huge difference to some of the ageing tired legs of that great Rangers tea

I may be wrong as we didn't get the same coverage of games then as we do now but I don't think BF made too many appearances in that final push for ten in a row even after Gazza went to Middlesborough. I think it was Advocaat who made his team around BF.

I have the greatest respect for Walter and I know the pressure he is under to win games but there is definately a reluctance to play some of the younger boys, even if we are comfortably in front.

Barcelona tonight played a young 17 year old who was making his fourth appearance in the champions league.

If the young guys do get a chance we must support them, they get their chance because they have proved it in reserve ganes, so we must give them time.