Supporting the team

Danny

This is as moral a debate as one finds in football.

You can break it down to a pair of aspects:

1: Undying devotion to the team and 100% support no matter what happens.

2: The fact you're paying for a product, paying for millionaires to entertain and be successful.

There are a lot of arguments raging about whether or not fans have the right to boo, to criticise. Some of us think that our payment entitles us to that; others feel that payment is a mere aspect of supporting the team and is irrelevant at the end of the day - 100% support is what counts.

But is this dismissal of the cost of supporting fair? Isn't there a part which says 'yeah, you have paid, and you have a right to receive something back. If you get a crap meal at a restaurant, having paid for it you're entitled to complain. Why can't you do that at a football stadium if you get a crap game?'

What is it, that, in some folks' eyes, immunes football teams from any criticism? That complaining 'isn't the Rangers way'?

Or are they right? And full devotion is the only acceptable form of support. Anything less and GTF?

I'm just used to it being 'poor' now. If I was paying for every (league home) game then maybe it would be easier to consider not going.

I'm looking to get a job within the next month or two, and was looking to get a job soon to get loyalty from the employer and hopefully get days off for the Rangers after the summer. However, I'm wondering if taking those days off would really be 'worth it'.

Ultimately, I want to see some quality signings and a sign that we may play good football.

It certainly seems that some people have been angered by the price which has just tipped them over the edge with the performance tonight. If the prices hadn't been messed with a don't think there would've been so much booing and I don't think we'd have quite so many upset fans here tonight.

I would never boo the team at a game no matter what I am thinking about the performance at the time.

I do complain regularly to the people around me and on the forum and many times over the last 5 or 6 years I think that the fare provided on the park is not worth the amount I pay for the season ticket, BUT, deep down I know that I will always support the team and defend it against non believers.

Despite the lack of entertainment there are the games that make the sacrifice, mentally and financially, worthwhile, where the emotions are stretched to the limit and there is the fantastic high that keeps me going back every year and that makes the close season long and almost unbearable.

We are born to support and worship Glasgow Rangers and we will support until the day we die.

Also, I remember DBBTB asking me why I complain and still go.

Its difficult to define tbh, 'not going' is not something I'd really consider. Its a habit.

But being older, I now try to analyse the match where before I'd be going through the motions.

This is as moral a debate as one finds in football.

You can break it down to a pair of aspects:

1: Undying devotion to the team and 100% support no matter what happens.

2: The fact you're paying for a product, paying for millionaires to entertain and be successful.

There are a lot of arguments raging about whether or not fans have the right to boo, to criticise. Some of us think that our payment entitles us to that; others feel that payment is a mere aspect of supporting the team and is irrelevant at the end of the day - 100% support is what counts.

But is this dismissal of the cost of supporting fair? Isn't there a part which says 'yeah, you have paid, and you have a right to receive something back. If you get a crap meal at a restaurant, having paid for it you're entitled to complain. Why can't you do that at a football stadium if you get a crap game?'

What is it, that, in some folks' eyes, immunes football teams from any criticism? That complaining 'isn't the Rangers way'?

Or are they right? And full devotion is the only acceptable form of support. Anything less and GTF?

For me it has to be full devotion.

There are fans who say "We were chosen". I would like to think that these same fans would never boo the team.

Only glory hunters boo Rangers.

In the early seventies when we had attendances of 14,000 or so, I can't honestly say that I remember the team being booed off the park.

Silent loyal. :craphead:

Sometimes the players need to know that a performance wasn't good enough. Booing comes from people wanting thier team to do the best possible.

The worrying thing for me is that the motivation for European games has never been a problem, so perhaps they genuinely are jaded. As Ali said to Foreman ... bad place to get tired George :ph34r:

Personally the money does not come into it for me. It's the level of performance from the players and the tactics, use of subs etc., from the manager.

I will always support Rangers and have done for 50+ years, but I still think I have every right to boo, criticize, etc. when they have dished up garbage like tonight. It is the knowing that they are capable of so much more that hurts and gets you booing. They will know too that they deserve it.

If people want to accept dross and say nothing that is their right too. Everyone can make up his own mind there is no right and wrong here.

Surely though football was cheaper then because the players wages were more realistic

football might have been cheaper but there was no money going around, try pawning your clothes or borrowing of moneylenders or walking to ibrox and back again to support the team you loved.

Suppose that's true but there are so many other things to spend what little money you have on these days, and perhaps that makes wives or girlfriends less understanding than they used to be

rangers always came first they were your love affair then you got married to them and its been a marriage made in heaven, and the only way we will split up is when i have to leave this life. :)

Suppose that's true but there are so many other things to spend what little money you have on these days, and perhaps that makes wives or girlfriends less understanding than they used to be

rangers always came first they were your love affair then you got married to them and its been a marriage made in heaven, and the only way we will split up is when i have to leave this life. :)

Rangers will never cheat on you either.

A reliable marriage if you ask me :)

That coming from a bigamist. ;)

Are you highlighting moral corruption among our support :)

I'm not the only one who follows more than one team.

Are you highlighting moral corruption among our support :)

I'm not the only one who follows more than one team.

You know my view. You can only really have one team.