Greater Manchester Police

ara

It might only be one exam but if its an end of year exam at uni there's no resit therefore another year wasted at uni doing what you did the year before. however, if the exam is the day after surely you can pop down to manchester for a couple of hours no? ;)

Unfortunately I wont be going or its the sack for me. Cant get the holidays because my boss is off and no one to cover my absence! :(

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I am being a bit harsh and a wee bit over the top, but I have just come back from 1 months volunteer work in a very very poor country and it's changed me as a person.... certain things that used to be important to me now seem so unbelievably trivial! I've done a lot of travelling in my time but what I saw during that month really has changed my priorities in life!

Srange then that you should view "big houses" etc as the key to celebrants of success?

Maybe I am being a bit harsh and a wee bit over the top, but I have just come back from 1 months volunteer work in a very very poor country and it's changed me as a person.... certain things that used to be important to me now seem so unbelievably trivial! I've done a lot of travelling in my time but what I saw during that month really has changed my priorities in life!

Srange then that you should view "big houses" etc as the key to celebrants of success?

When I said "big house", what I basically meant was that if someones goal in life is to have a successful career and earn a good wage, and I suspect this would be one of Papa's goals (I realise this is not everyones aim in life), then under no circumstances should they let a football game jeopardize one of their goals in life!

I have seen a lot of the world and it's only then that you realise just how trivial football is! From my own experiences, I have found that people who's lives revolve around rangers/celtic tend to me the type of people who spend their entire lives in the same country/city, experiencing very little that the world has to offer. Many people are content with that kind of life and that's fine for them, but I doubt Papa would be content with that kind of life, which is why it would be unbelievabley stupid for him to miss an important exam over a football game from his point of view!

For example, one of my goals in life is to climb Mount Everest (which may seem daft to others but it is important to me), and I am at the stage where I can attempt it next year....so under no circumstances would I jeopardize my goal for the sake of a football game. To others, watching a UEFA Cup final might be their aim in life which is fair enough, but they have to realise that many people have aims in life that could be classed as a bit more adventurous and would not be willing to risk those aims over a football game! Doesn't make them less of a fan, it simply means they have different priorities in life.

Agree Ally,

Dunno what crusade Batman is on but, he's talkin shit, obviously aint been to a Euro nite at Ibrox & bounced with the heart PUMPIN,......

If ah can git ma ass to Manchester ah'll be there, after all it only comes around only so often...

:unionflag:

My mum and dad were trying to ban me from going as I have my English higher the next day but i have won them round by promising to behave from now on and that my mum will drive me up and down to the game so I can get back for my exam :D

When I said "big house", what I basically meant was that if someones goal in life is to have a successful career and earn a good wage, and I suspect this would be one of Papa's goals (I realise this is not everyones aim in life), then under no circumstances should they let a football game jeopardize one of their goals in life!

I have seen a lot of the world and it's only then that you realise just how trivial football is! From my own experiences, I have found that people who's lives revolve around rangers/celtic tend to me the type of people who spend their entire lives in the same country/city, experiencing very little that the world has to offer. Many people are content with that kind of life and that's fine for them, but I doubt Papa would be content with that kind of life, which is why it would be unbelievabley stupid for him to miss an important exam over a football game from his point of view!

For example, one of my goals in life is to climb Mount Everest (which may seem daft to others but it is important to me), and I am at the stage where I can attempt it next year....so under no circumstances would I jeopardize my goal for the sake of a football game. To others, watching a UEFA Cup final might be their aim in life which is fair enough, but they have to realise that many people have aims in life that could be classed as a bit more adventurous and would not be willing to risk those aims over a football game! Doesn't make them less of a fan, it simply means they have different priorities in life.

In other words, they're not THAT bothered about Rangers winning a European trophy. Thank you for making my point. :pipe:

In other words, they're not THAT bothered about Rangers winning a European trophy. Thank you for making my point. :pipe:

Nope...they just have other things in their lives other than football.....most intelligent people tend to have other interests in life than just watching or talking about football! Frankly I feel very very sorry for any human being who classes watching a football match in Manchester as one the highlights of their entire existence on Earth!

I have exam that day, and the next day. But fuck it I'll be there :D

That's my boy, Jaimie (tu) maybe Papaguy will come to his senses,and recognize what is most important eh? :huh:

Aye, my future given that I'm in the last chance saloon of Degrees (tu)

Nope...they just have other things in their lives other than football.....most intelligent people tend to have other interests in life than just watching or talking about football! Frankly I feel very very sorry for any human being who classes watching a football match in Manchester as one the highlights of their entire existence on Earth!

well im sorry if my life is sad to u but all my life consists of is working and following rangers home, away and abroad everyweek, thats what i love doing, if rangers get to this final and win it it will be the highlight of my entire existence on earth!

well im sorry if my life is sad to u but all my life consists of is working and following rangers home, away and abroad everyweek, thats what i love doing, if rangers get to this final and win it it will be the highlight of my entire existence on earth!

Spot on Gary. I was at Easter Rd for Helicopter Sunday, but this will top even that. Family? Kids? Work? bail conditions? :D , bollocks to everything.

I pity all these grey automatons who "cant make it"...........

assuming we get there obviously. :P

Are you Gary Linch ? :unsure:

I has planned to be there, i have relatives in Manchester so staying woldn't have been a problem but i now have to attend a meeting for work in Winchester on the 15th & my flight back up isn't until 6:30pm.

Thought about buying a parachute & jumping out somewhere over Manchester ..... decided against it.

I liked, I don't know if I would say agreed with, a lot of what you said but not this.

Particularly the first sentence, I find it that very patronising and untrue for the most part. Can one not be intelligent about football and perhaps just that?

Also, it really does seem as if your undermining many a football fan and do you not realise it?

Personally, tbh I sometimes see it as annoying when people see me as someone who just talks about football. I have several other interests but if I'm not asked about them then it would seem I am going on a tangent if I talked about them!

I would also like to travel the world Batman but my main passion is Football and I certainly wouldn't miss games - on the telly or at Ibrox - to go on holiday or to travel.

Spot on Gary. I was at Easter Rd for Helicopter Sunday, but this will top even that. Family? Kids? Work? bail conditions? :D , bollocks to everything.

I pity all these grey automatons who "cant make it"...........

assuming we get there obviously. :P

too true! (tu)

I liked, I don't know if I would say agreed with, a lot of what you said but not this.

Particularly the first sentence, I find it that very patronising and untrue for the most part. Can one not be intelligent about football and perhaps just that?

Also, it really does seem as if your undermining many a football fan and do you not realise it?

Personally, tbh I sometimes see it as annoying when people see me as someone who just talks about football. I have several other interests but if I'm not asked about them then it would seem I am going on a tangent if I talked about them!

I would also like to travel the world Batman but my main passion is Football and I certainly wouldn't miss games - on the telly or at Ibrox - to go on holiday or to travel.

I will admit my statements have been very patronising, but unfortunately that's the type of person I am....it's not delibrate, I just have this natural ability to annoy poeple! (my friends state I must be one of the most condescending persons on the planet). When you say "Can one not be intelligent about football and perhaps just that?"....in my experiences the answer is no. I have met many intelligent football fans and they nearly always have many interests in life...but the people who I have met in life whos entire existance revolves around either Rangers or celtic tend to be the uneducated types who class getting pissed at the weekend as an achievement and I find them very very boring (and i'm sure they find me very boring as well!) I will admit that these types of people are probably very happy in life as they are easily pleased...as the saying goes...ignorance truly is bliss!

I am also passionate about football (more so playing the game than watching it), and I am excited about Rangers possibly getting to a European Final (although I dount we will, we appear to be running out of steam)...but at the same time, I know it's just a game of football and I learnt at a young age that life has so much more to offer than watching men kick a ball about! Perhaps in that respect I have been lucky to have come from a background where I have been given the chance to take part in a wide range of activities other than football.

I do however thank you for replying to me in a civilised manner and enjoyed reading one of the few articulated replies to my somewhat controversial statements!

I will admit my statements have been very patronising, but unfortunately that's the type of person I am....it's not delibrate, I just have this natural ability to annoy poeple! (my friends state I must be one of the most condescending persons on the planet). When you say "Can one not be intelligent about football and perhaps just that?"....in my experiences the answer is no. I have met many intelligent football fans and they nearly always have many interests in life...but the people who I have met in life whos entire existance revolves around either Rangers or celtic tend to be the uneducated types who class getting pissed at the weekend as an achievement and I find them very very boring (and i'm sure they find me very boring as well!) I will admit that these types of people are probably very happy in life as they are easily pleased...as the saying goes...ignorance truly is bliss!

I am also passionate about football (more so playing the game than watching it), and I am excited about Rangers possibly getting to a European Final (although I dount we will, we appear to be running out of steam)...but at the same time, I know it's just a game of football and I learnt at a young age that life has so much more to offer than watching men kick a ball about! Perhaps in that respect I have been lucky to have come from a background where I have been given the chance to take part in a wide range of activities other than football.

I do however thank you for replying to me in a civilised manner and enjoyed reading one of the few articulated replies to my somewhat controversial statements!

I do see your point, from your first paragraph, although I would suggest that your first point suggests to me you've only met young fans ranging from the ages of 20-30! I'd say your thoughts are a little bit of a little bit of a sweeping statement.

I would also say that I've had advice along what you've been saying.

Quotes like 'The players on the pitch don't pay your ages rings a bell' from a family friends and I even skipped the Bremen game to study and edit college for the next and I'd paid for it and thats not me trying to sound tight for saying so!

As I've said, I don't like people sometimes thinking I only know about football but I'm not ashamed for folk to know of my knowledge of football over and above Rangers.

Would pass this by you:

Philosophically, meanwhile, I am in doubt that all the worry was necessary. In the 2nd leg, which we won pretty comfortably, I ironically missed both goals. The first goal, I had Bovril in my hand and couldn't get up fast enough to see the goal. On the 2nd goal, I was a grubber and went for another pie and that was when big Dado scored. A cracker, I recall but only on the Eurosport when I got back home!

I still love Football and Rangers very much but it just made me feel as if that was some sort of sign to let me know something. Something....from 'up above' perhaps and still ponder such.....

http://www.rangersmedia.com/ezine/april2007/past.html

Also to answer the issue here, I wouldn't miss an exam for the game or at least one I couldnt do again as like Papaguy I think It'd be impotrant to think long term. Maybe its cause I'm not a big away fan or a partier, I don't know, its not as if you can't watch it in the house on the telly is also my mindset.

Ps. Your welcome about the received 'articulate' reply.