Smith to get £20 Million in the summer.

McBoyd

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/footbal...86908-20411308/

RANGERS boss Walter Smith is set to receive a £20m windfall from the Ibrox club's adventures in Europe this season.

WALTER SMITH last night pocketed a £4million UEFA Cup Final windfall - then vowed to use it to keep his top stars.

Record Sport can reveal that European football chiefs have set aside an £8m jackpot to be split between Rangers and Zenit St Petersburg after next week's City of Manchester Stadium showdown.

That means the Ibrox club will rake in an astonishing £4m from one game to add to the £16m brought in from the European run so far.

And Smith made clear his intentions yesterday to use whatever funds he can get his hands on to bring in his top signing targets - and also fight off summer bids for the likes of Carlos Cuellar and Allan McGregor, both of whom have already been linked with big-money moves to the Premiership.

Smith - who lost full-back Alan Hutton to Spurs in a £9m January deal - insists he cannot continue to flog his best players if he wants to build on the success of this season's incredible quest for the quadruple.

He said:"Alan had been terrific for us and, attacking wise, was beginning to impose himself on games. It was a disappointment to lose him at that stage of the season.

"It was a major disappointment for everybody at the club, from the chairman all the way down. But then that is the reality of the situation we are in at the moment.

"It is important for the progress of any team that you manage to keep your best players. We face a situation where the stock of our players is rising and it's only natural that other teams are going to come and have a look at them.

"But hopefully we can find the wherewithal to keep the vast majority of the squad we have at the moment.

"There will be one or two changes necessary in the summer because this is just our first year and we need to build on it.

"People talk about our standard of play but what did they expect in our first year?

"There has to be a level of progression. How you were at the start is not always how you are going to be at the finish. We are going through a period of change - which makes this run to the UEFA Cup Final an even more incredible achievement.

"The European run has taken a bit of the financial pressure off. Hopefully we can now look at getting one or two players in - players we maybe couldn't have thought about before."

And yet Smith knows he might find it difficult to keep the vultures away. He said: "We are now in a situation, possibly for the first time, where there is a realism about the financial situation in Scotland.

"Rangers and Celtic are left to compete in a market with bigger clubs which means at times we might have to sell a player to strengthen other areas of the team. That's the reality of the situation we are in.

"Rangers invested very heavily a few years ago and came in for huge criticism for over-spending. We are in a different situation now and have to handle that.

"But I would still hope we can fend off offers if it is right for us to do so."

Smith is now preparing for one last crucial SPL clash with Dundee United tomorrow lunchtime before he leads his team across the border on Monday morning.

And he will NOT be resting any of his star men against United even though he runs the risk of losing them through injury for the final.

He said: "I've got to pick a team to win the game haven't I? It is a concern for me because, with this backlog of games, you have to worry about injuries and suspensions.

"But we'll go into Saturday's game in the same situation as we were last night. We can't look at at Saturday any differently from any other match. I'll pick the team that is best suited to winning the game.

"Obviously I have a rough idea of who I want to play in Manchester but once we've got Saturday's game out of the way we'll sit down and see who is available."

RANGERS boss Walter Smith is set to receive a £20m windfall from the Ibrox club's adventures in Europe this season.

WALTER SMITH last night pocketed a £4million UEFA Cup Final windfall - then vowed to use it to keep his top stars.

Record Sport can reveal that European football chiefs have set aside an £8m jackpot to be split between Rangers and Zenit St Petersburg after next week's City of Manchester Stadium showdown.

That means the Ibrox club will rake in an astonishing £4m from one game to add to the £16m brought in from the European run so far.

And Smith made clear his intentions yesterday to use whatever funds he can get his hands on to bring in his top signing targets - and also fight off summer bids for the likes of Carlos Cuellar and Allan McGregor, both of whom have already been linked with big-money moves to the Premiership.

Smith - who lost full-back Alan Hutton to Spurs in a £9m January deal - insists he cannot continue to flog his best players if he wants to build on the success of this season's incredible quest for the quadruple.

He said:"Alan had been terrific for us and, attacking wise, was beginning to impose himself on games. It was a disappointment to lose him at that stage of the season.

"It was a major disappointment for everybody at the club, from the chairman all the way down. But then that is the reality of the situation we are in at the moment.

"It is important for the progress of any team that you manage to keep your best players. We face a situation where the stock of our players is rising and it's only natural that other teams are going to come and have a look at them.

"But hopefully we can find the wherewithal to keep the vast majority of the squad we have at the moment.

"There will be one or two changes necessary in the summer because this is just our first year and we need to build on it.

"People talk about our standard of play but what did they expect in our first year?

"There has to be a level of progression. How you were at the start is not always how you are going to be at the finish. We are going through a period of change - which makes this run to the UEFA Cup Final an even more incredible achievement.

"The European run has taken a bit of the financial pressure off. Hopefully we can now look at getting one or two players in - players we maybe couldn't have thought about before."

And yet Smith knows he might find it difficult to keep the vultures away. He said: "We are now in a situation, possibly for the first time, where there is a realism about the financial situation in Scotland.

"Rangers and Celtic are left to compete in a market with bigger clubs which means at times we might have to sell a player to strengthen other areas of the team. That's the reality of the situation we are in.

"Rangers invested very heavily a few years ago and came in for huge criticism for over-spending. We are in a different situation now and have to handle that.

Smith is now preparing for one last crucial SPL clash with Dundee United tomorrow lunchtime before he leads his team across the border on Monday morning.

And he will NOT be resting any of his star men against United even though he runs the risk of losing them through injury for the final.

He said: "I've got to pick a team to win the game haven't I? It is a concern for me because, with this backlog of games, you have to worry about injuries and suspensions.

"But we'll go into Saturday's game in the same situation as we were last night. We can't look at at Saturday any differently from any other match. I'll pick the team that is best suited to winning the game.

"Obviously I have a rough idea of who I want to play in Manchester but once we've got Saturday's game out of the way we'll sit down and see who is available."

According to radio clyde this morning Walter will "only" be given 8mill of this to spend on new players.

According to radio clyde this morning Walter will "only" be given 8mill of this to spend on new players.

Thats more likely to be the amount we can spend. Between 8 and 10 million on transfer fees, the rest on Bosmans, loan players etc.

Lets tell the whole world we have 20 million to spend and watch those prices skyrocket

I think that the SPL pissing Murray off will see this type of money become availible.

Walter saved Rangers.

If we win the UEFA cup i can see £20 mill being a defo for wattie in the summer.

Can't wait for the summer, going to be great.

I think that the SPL pissing Murray off will see this type of money become availible.

Walter saved Rangers.

If we win the UEFA cup i can see £20 mill being a defo for wattie in the summer.

Just think of all the crap Rangers have went through from others this year. 20 million is a nice start in our war against the world.

Walter saved Rangers.

Just think of all the crap Rangers have went through from others this year. 20 million is a nice start in our war against the world.

True, if wattie can save our team with hardly any money, i can't wait to see what 20 million (if we get it ) will bring in.

I just hope we get in some true team players, more cuellars please (tu)

Does anyone actually believe he will get 20 million to spend on players?

No! i dont believe that we will spend 20m. 10 max, a bit more maybe depending on who we sell. (buffel, hemdani, cousin will be the main 3)

He will get £10 million max to spend on three decent players, mainly a centre half, a midfielder(probably Davis) and a Striker. Anyone else on a bosman.....Kewell,Nedved,Berger,etc.......I wish !!!!

Hope some teams put a few bids in for Broadfoot,Adam and McCulloch to boost the funds.....as if !!! Saddly Buffel will probably go too !! Unsure about Darcheville but I would probably keep him for one more season?!!

Walter saved Rangers.

True, if wattie can save our team with hardly any money, i can't wait to see what 20 million (if we get it ) will bring in.

I just hope we get in some true team players, more cuellars please (tu)

Its not just 20 million he'll be spending though. 20 million on transfers comes with it higher signing on fees , higher wages, and often longer term contracts.

For a 20 million layout on fees only, add another 20 million on top of that.

great news if true!

Definatly 20 mill could bring in some potentially decent players.

(tu)

For 20 million, I'd want more than just 'decent' players!

But then it is Walter...

Never say never.

Hasn't it already been reported by Rangers that he will have at least £12 million?? Was spread over the papers after the big announcement Rangers made through the media.

Soon as it was people were in here shooting it down, saying no way will he get that. Despite it coming from SDM. But then maybe that is why it was shot down. SDM is frowned upon for saying nothing, then told he is a liar when he says anything.

Of course the report on here has no such valid claims from anyone inside Ibrox as to the possible amount to be given to WS being £20 mil. But I think he will at least get the £12 mil that has already been said is available.

I dont know, TBH, we spent a fair amount last summer, which, from a business perspective, has brought a great return on investment due to how we have performed. We also made a bunch from Europe, so, everyone knows, with a bit more quality, we could be looking at runs like this as the norm, so, why not £20 mill? Is not THAT much in the current footballing climate.

Plus, as CR said, after the shit we have had from the SPL etc, I can see us wanting (as a club) to demolish the opposition next year

They got 9 million from hutton plus the champions league dosh and uefa cup run all money they did not expect to have this time last year so sounds about right to me

Headline says £20 million but the article doesn't.The club will make £20 million, what Walter gets for buying players is anyone's guess and a lot will have to be earmarked for contract extensions etc. We will still have to get rid of the deadwood which will again probably end up costing us money.