Mika Vayrynen

dazzareyes

RANGERS are again eyeing PSV Eindhoven midfielder Mika Vayrynen as they search for much- needed midfield reinforcements.

The 26 year-old Finnish internationalist - who can operate in the middle or left side - was looked at by boss Walter Smith a year ago.

But no moves were made as he still had two years of his contract to run in Holland and PSV were looking for a hefty fee.

Vayrynen then almost moved to Derby County a year ago, but the move broke down when he picked up a calf injury just before his medical.

Now into the final year of his deal with the Dutch champions, and with a much lower price tag, the midfielder almost moved to Club Brugge last month but could not agree terms.

He is currently with PSV and played at the weekend as they began their pre-season warm-up matches but, after featuring just once last term in the first team, he knows there is no future under coach Huub Stevens.

Rangers scouted Vayrynen last term and watched him in international action for Finland, and the powerful six-footer could be an option now as Smith attempts to cover for the loss of injured skipper Barry Ferguson.

The Rangers manager knows he needs to bolster his ranks, and admitted after the 1-0 weekend defeat to Schalke that he would be stepping up efforts this week, ahead of the Champions League signing deadline on Thursday night.

Central defence is also an area that needs covered, and assistant boss Ally McCoist is set to travel to the Algarve this week to watch Glenn Loovens in action for Cardiff City, possibly against Celtic on Thursday.

Loovens wants to join Rangers and has again told the Welsh side he has no intention of extending his contract which has less than a year to run. But Cardiff want in excess of £2.5million for the 25-year-old and that has so far stopped any kind of deal progressing.

Despite claiming he wants to return to Rangers, there is no interest in former winger Peter Lovenkrands at this moment in time. The Dane's agent, Ivan Benes, is believed to have contacted Smith about the prospect of a return from Schalke, but the matter has gone no further so far.

The Rangers squad returned to Murray Park today, coming back from Germany on Saturday.

Smith expected Spanish defender Carlos Cuellar to return to training and, while he is unlikely to feature against Clyde tomorrow night as he recovers from a calf strain, he will play against Raith Rovers on Saturday.

However, keeper Allan McGregor is expected to play some part of the match at Broadwood as he looks for action ahead of the Champions League qualifier against Kaunas in nine days' time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RANGERS are again eyeing PSV Eindhoven midfielder Mika Vayrynen as they search for much- needed midfield reinforcements.

The 26 year-old Finnish internationalist - who can operate in the middle or left side - was looked at by boss Walter Smith a year ago.

But no moves were made as he still had two years of his contract to run in Holland and PSV were looking for a hefty fee.

Vayrynen then almost moved to Derby County a year ago, but the move broke down when he picked up a calf injury just before his medical.

Now into the final year of his deal with the Dutch champions, and with a much lower price tag, the midfielder almost moved to Club Brugge last month but could not agree terms.

He is currently with PSV and played at the weekend as they began their pre-season warm-up matches but, after featuring just once last term in the first team, he knows there is no future under coach Huub Stevens.

Rangers scouted Vayrynen last term and watched him in international action for Finland, and the powerful six-footer could be an option now as Smith attempts to cover for the loss of injured skipper Barry Ferguson.

The Rangers manager knows he needs to bolster his ranks, and admitted after the 1-0 weekend defeat to Schalke that he would be stepping up efforts this week, ahead of the Champions League signing deadline on Thursday night.

Central defence is also an area that needs covered, and assistant boss Ally McCoist is set to travel to the Algarve this week to watch Glenn Loovens in action for Cardiff City, possibly against Celtic on Thursday.

Loovens wants to join Rangers and has again told the Welsh side he has no intention of extending his contract which has less than a year to run. But Cardiff want in excess of £2.5million for the 25-year-old and that has so far stopped any kind of deal progressing.

Despite claiming he wants to return to Rangers, there is no interest in former winger Peter Lovenkrands at this moment in time. The Dane's agent, Ivan Benes, is believed to have contacted Smith about the prospect of a return from Schalke, but the matter has gone no further so far.

The Rangers squad returned to Murray Park today, coming back from Germany on Saturday.

Smith expected Spanish defender Carlos Cuellar to return to training and, while he is unlikely to feature against Clyde tomorrow night as he recovers from a calf strain, he will play against Raith Rovers on Saturday.

However, keeper Allan McGregor is expected to play some part of the match at Broadwood as he looks for action ahead of the Champions League qualifier against Kaunas in nine days' time.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2404238.0.0.php

sorry 5cotland, lol

i dont know much about him, does anyone know if he was any good in Finlands Euro 2008 campaign??

I dont know anything about, but he apparently was Finlands best player in the Euro 2008 Qualifiying Stage. To be honest though, I dont believe he's the type of player who could fill in for Bazza, We need a player who can control the midfield, a captain, a leader. thats what we need in the midfield.

I never seen any of Finlands games so cant say there but anytime i have seen him he is lazy and holds onto the ball for too long...

Im sure thats why he was dropped because PSV like to hit quickly on the counter but he was too slow on and off the ball that he slowed there game down.

Hes both footed and can pass the ball but i dont think hes what we are looking for, hope he proves me wrong though if we sign him!

Good player just very prone to injuries.

Not worth the hassle.

Probably just a bullsjit story anyway, linked with him last season, we need midfielders so his name comes up again.

Guest therabbitt
Says he is a left footer

What exactly do you mean by that???

:shifty:

He kicks the ball with his left foot (tu)

I see :mutley:

I never seen any of Finlands games so cant say there but anytime i have seen him he is lazy and holds onto the ball for too long...

Still. a player who can actually hold onto the ball for any length of time at all would be a novelty in our current midfield.

Guest therabbitt

Is that really what we need?

I'm sure Walter would certainly think so, brawn over brains