Famine song statement - official

Ibroxblue

Famine Song Statement

RANGERS head of security and operations Kenny Scott said today: "It is important to be clear on the reasons behind last night's decision to put messages on the screens and scoreboards at Ibrox regarding the famine song.

"Following discussions with Strathclyde Police, it was made clear to the club that there was the potential for supporters singing this song to be arrested at last night's match.

"The decision to arrest anyone is one which is made not by the club but by the police.

"However Rangers Football Club took the decision that it was only fair to warn everyone coming to the stadium last night that this was the situation.

"We took a similar step last month when we issued 50,000 leaflets before the Motherwell match at Ibrox again advising supporters of the police position.

"We as a club do not wish to see any of our supporters leaving themselves open to arrest and believed by putting the messages on the screens and scoreboards last night we were only fulfilling our obligations to you, our supporters.

"We have another match at Ibrox on Saturday and the same message applies to that fixture as it did last night.

"For the benefit of those supporters attending the match on Saturday the club will be repeating the message that was displayed last night."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1436866,00.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id love to see this go to court - they know the unrest it causes in the media but im fairly certain the police wouldnt want to try and convict anybody over this as it would be murder to pin down in a court - its just the same threat the club issued about 2 months ago.

Is it now banned then? cba reading whole thing :lol:

He said that it was the club's duty to warn the supporters they faced arrest and that the same message will be shown on Saturday. :mad:

No Khenny, the clubs duty should be to protect their supporters from unwarranted criticism and attention, not to agree with everything that is said against us. Maybe if you and your superiors were more concerned with the image of the Rangers support you would not have to display scoreboard messages telling us that we are going to get lifted for winding Celtic fans up.

You are an absolute joke.

one god dam thing after another right now and it makes me sick to think those pondlife scumbags will be lauging there heads off at this

and another thing i bet we will be the first to get docked points sometime for something daft just because somebody is greeting about something

is anyone at the club sticking up for us or they just happy being bullied

:computers:

Statement from Belfast telegraph

"Now however in the latest twist of the ongoing song saga, the Index on Censorship, one of the world’s leading repositories on free expression issues, has branded attempts to silence fans as a “dangerous” assault of free speech.

Irish-born Index spokesperson Padraig Reidy, said the matter should be handled by football clubs, not the Scottish state.

He said it was the Rangers fans’ right to insult the Irish over the Great Famine if they so wished: “Considering we all know that there have been nasty, offensive songs at Old Firm games for years, making it into a national issue seems absurd and dangerous. It’s trying to set a legal limit on speech that isn’t incitement to violence. Rangers and Celtic agreed themselves to sing what they want.

“It’s different to anti-discrimination laws, which are a very good thing, but seeking to outlaw any kind of insulting or offensive speech/songs does become very problematic, because someone will always take offence,” he said.

Mr Reidy said that while the song was undoubtedly offensive, behaviour at football matches should not be a state concern. "

just sent an email to strathclyde police asking what the charges would be if i were to be arrested, i await their reply

just hope it comes before saturday so i can get a solicitor in place cos it will be me that gets arrested , 2 things im sooo unlucky, and i hate the polis :craphead:

just sent an email to strathclyde police asking what the charges would be if i were to be arrested, i await their reply

just hope it comes before saturday so i can get a solicitor in place cos it will be me that gets arrested , 2 things im sooo unlucky, and i hate the polis :craphead:

Can you give me an email adress of a top brass in Strathclyde Police and Ill put some pressure on aswell.

If they are telling the truth, then fair play to Rangers.

What still concerns me is the fact that, and I quote.... "Rangers approached Strathclyde Police with a view to making singing this song an arrestable offence"

Where does that quote come from?

What still concerns me is the fact that, and I quote.... "Rangers approached Strathclyde Police with a view to making singing this song an arrestable offence"

Have you been living in a cave with your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears for the past 3 or 4 weeks?

Everywhere. Almost every tabloid and broadsheet newspaper about that's had any mention of the famine song. Real Radio phone inn a couple of weeks ago went about 3 nights on the air, on the trot mentioning the quote aswell.

Have you been living in a cave with your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears for the past 3 or 4 weeks?

Everywhere. Almost every tabloid and broadsheet newspaper about that's had any mention of the famine song. Real Radio phone inn a couple of weeks ago went about 3 nights on the air, on the trot mentioning the quote aswell.

He was only asking where you got your quote from.

and I was only telling him.

and I was only telling him.

Apologises didn't see the Real Radio bit.

:lol:

This from the same prick who banned the 'Dublin Loyal' banner?

I'm not surprised at this, not anymore. I've grown numb at our clubs eagerness to turn on its own support.

Murray hates us every bit as much as the mhedia, the politicians and those bitter MOPES do.

He washed his hands of us years a go.