Wingers - WE NEED one at least!

nvager

right now? not so much a winger, more a right sided midfielder who can get up and down, deliver a few good balls. name a right sided midfielder in our current first team squad that does this. the names given in my opinion either have one good point, or another, but not the full package. please feel free to correct me if i am wrong, but how many wingers are getting regular game time in england? to me they all look like left/right sided midfielders who do all the good stuff, but also prepared to dig out the ugly stuff.

Was saying before, it's got to the point that I'd actually give Burke a chance.

Burke---Davis---Mendes---Beasley

After the shambles last night, that almost looks appealing.

Plus, Aaron needs to be given some game time, even if it's just 20 minutes here and there. He's not going to get any better accustomed to our team warming the bench.

In terms of getting the ball, turning and then running at players I think Burke is probably the best option we have at the moment.

It's also worth considering that 1) it's contract renewal time for him and 2) it's at this time of year that he generally shows up and shows what he is capable of.

Its got to be either Beasley or Burke. When Burke came into the first team at around this time last year, he went on and had a good streak of performances. Efrem and Aaron, while potentially talented, I think we all know that the only chance we have of seeing them is if there's a Bubonic plague outburst in the squad.

name a right sided midfielder in our current first team squad that does this.

In fairness, Davis has put some excellent balls in from the right in recent weeks. I know he's not a natural wide player and there is a good argument to move him to CM, but I don't think he's done badly there. Left mid is much more of a problem IMO

No matter what people say, Beasley is not a winger; his first instinct is to pass back, his second is to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible, as a last resort he may try to beat an opponent.

Burke is a winger but not a good one, he seems unable to cross the ball on the run and rather than beat an opponent his party trick is to fall over and scream.

I have not seen Effrem play since last season but then he had the skill but seemed to disappear if tackled.

Aaron is not a winger but is being played there and reports have not been favourable.

Basically wingers are a dying breed; kids do not work at skills and clubs seem happy to have players who are unable to use one foot and do not encourage players to work on their weaknesses as can be seen with Burke.

Boyd and Miller would thrive if we had wingers that would whip in a decent cross and take men on to create chances. We havnt had decent wingers in years

Yep - and Beasley is just a good idea that doesn't ever quite cut it. Burke isn't good enough. Somebody like Etherington would be ideal.

really dissapointed in Beasley Had high hopes in him, can't understand it esp. when you see what he can do when playing for the states maybe he just needs a decent run in the team, but can we afford to give him that chance?.

maybe give burke his usual 6-8 games till he loses form again then finaly get him to fuck

In the summer we signed Davis, Mendes and Edu to complement Ferguson and Thomson in midfield.

Five very talented players but none of them can play the wider role effectively so in essence we have little alternative options now opposition teams know how to suppress our tight midfield.

Putting Lafferty and Novo in this deeper, withdrawn (and not wide per se) role isn't really the kind of tactical eureka moment I expect from my manager when faced with such a dilemma.

As such, like it or not, we're back to Burke, Beasley and Aaron if we do want to change our style enough to make it more difficult for teams to guess our outlook.

really dissapointed in Beasley Had high hopes in him, can't understand it esp. when you see what he can do when playing for the states maybe he just needs a decent run in the team, but can we afford to give him that chance?.

maybe give burke his usual 6-8 games till he loses form again then finaly get him to fuck

I think what Beasley is lacking is confidence. It plays a huge part in their performance. He has been very poor and he knows it. You can see it in his face when he plays.

When he pulls on the USA shirt he is pretty damn good so there is something there if it can be worked on

I would tend to agree, Burkey should get a run on the wing now. He actually came in about this time last year and was superb, alongside Cousin and Naismith up front for a few games which we actually played good football in. Of course, we had Hutton then as well. All the top managers rotate their team, so the opposition don't really know what to expect. Smith never changes his team, unless we get horsed the week before. We have the players now to allow the manager to rotate the team, and it's time he did, after Wednesday nights debacle. The commentator on Setanta, Crocker, is usually a clown, but he was spot on on Wednesday, when he said with half an hour or so to go 'these are the games you need to win to become champions.' sadly, since last year we have sold our 3 best players, Hutton, Cuellar and Cousin, celtic haven't sold their best players, and 2nd place is the inevitable result of Murray's selling policy.

In 2006, the Under 17's UEFA European Championships took place.

Here are some of the talents that were involved (off the top of my head) -

*Note, the occupation is spoke of in current day*

Chris Gunter (Recognized Spurs player and Wales regular), Manuel Fischer (Recognized FC Stuttgart first team member), Bojan Krkic (Recognized Barca star and fully capped Spanish international), Toni Kroos (Recognized FC Bayern first team member), Miralem Pjanic (Recognized Lyon player and fully capped Bosnian international), Marko Marin (German international and Monchengladbach regular), Adel Taarbat (Recognized Spurs player and heavily involved with most French youth squads), Stefano Okaka Chuka (Recognized AS Roma first team member), Gareth Bale (Spurs and Wales regular), Ben Sahar (Recognized Chelsea youth and fully capped Israeli international), David N'Gog (Recognized Liverpool first teamer and heavily involved with most French youth squads).

Aaron outshone everyone of these players in the tournament, so lets get one thing straight, his apparently "lacking" reserve performances arent exactly inherent.

He's a player who i have no doubt would flourish under the floodlights of first team football. He needs football, and we simply must give it to him. He can and will be a major asset to us.