Lafferty

Bruce

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to the "out of position" argument, Lafferty played wide left for Burnley most of the time did he not? The only time he's been given a game up front has been for Northern Ireland. I don't think he has what it takes to be a winger. He doesn't take his man on and never crosses the ball into the box.

It doesnt matter if you play up front or on the wing, as a professional footballer that cost £4M you should posess the ability to pass the ball to one of your own team-mates at least once in a game.

It doesnt matter if you play up front or on the wing, as a professional footballer that cost £4M you should posess the ability to pass the ball to one of your own team-mates at least once in a game.

lol exactly, he doesn't even have the basic abilities as a football player hence the "out of position" argument being irrelevant.

He's awful at playing football overall.

That's the crux of the matter for me. Played out of position or not - any professional footballer should be able to control a ball, pass competently (preferably to someone in your own team) and not react like the ball is something to avoid at all costs.

Lafferty can't even run properly. But he's no Ted McMinn.

I sincerely hope the lad goes on to give me hat-eating opportunities. On the evidence to date he plays much like Billy Urquhart - without the fight.

For the people saying Lafferty is playing out ofposition think about this.

Moving him to striker:

1) will it magically make him have a better first touch?

2) will it magically make him have better awareness?

3) will it magically make him hit the target when he gets a chance infront of goal?

4) will it magically make him be able to complete a pass to one of his team mates?

I do not see it to be honest because these are the the types of skills that can be shown in any position and he doesn't do it!

Moving him to striker:

3) will it magically make him hit the target when he gets a chance infront of goal?

4) will it magically make him be able to complete a pass to one of his team mates?

I do not see it to be honest because these are the the types of skills that can be shown in any position and he doesn't do it!

spot on imo

The guy has a poor first touch. A £3m+ player should have at least an adequate first touch. Playing him on the wing doesn't help but any time he lines up a shot at goal it travels at 3mph and straight into the keepers hands.

When all but one of his managers regularly played him wide left why is he regarded as a striker? He couldn't displace "superstars" like Robbie Blake and Ade Akinbiyi for example. Apart from his games for N Ireland has he really played striker apart from his school team?

He does not give the impression he has the awareness, thought process, balance,control or reaction of a real striker.

Moving him to striker:

Utter nonsense.

Certain players are basically designed for 1 position. Lafferty CAN'T play on the wing because he can't dribble or beat a player with pace. Its like playing Fillipo Inzaghi on the wing. Put him upfront and he comes alive. The same can be said with Lafferty. You can't expect a striker to play on the wing when he simply doesn't have the certain attributes to do it.

Go play Boyd on the wing, will he be brilliant? No, will he beat a man? No. He is slow as well.

Play Mendes on the wing, will he beat his man? No, he is a midfield player. Lafferty is a striker.

Why do people think that playing on the wing is easy? Its an art playing on the wing. Same with being a striker or a midfielder.

Moving him to striker:

Utter nonsense.

Certain players are basically designed for 1 position. Lafferty CAN'T play on the wing because he can't dribble or beat a player with pace. Its like playing Fillipo Inzaghi on the wing. Put him upfront and he comes alive. The same can be said with Lafferty. You can't expect a striker to play on the wing when he simply doesn't have the certain attributes to do it.

Go play Boyd on the wing, will he be brilliant? No, will he beat a man? No. He is slow as well.

Play Mendes on the wing, will he beat his man? No, he is a midfield player. Lafferty is a striker.

Why do people think that playing on the wing is easy? Its an art playing on the wing. Same with being a striker or a midfielder.

I agree, howver, that example, erm? probably would :P

Having watched every game he ever played for Northern Ireland I was amazed when Rangers were even linked to signing him.

He has never impressed me for Northern Ireland, he scores the odd goal and everyone in the country creams themselves and thinks hes the best thing since sliced bread. He is used as a target man to play along side David Healy, but his inability to win a header makes him useless at that.

When I think about it I dont know anything he is actually good at, another Charlie Adam if you ask me.

Unfortunately Norn Iron dont have many other options.

Rangers do on the other hand so get rid of him or loan him out.

And what makes it all the worse is the amount of money we wasted on the lad, not even worth half what we paid.

The only good point is that he has youth on his side, the boy may come good, for his careers sake he better.

Having watched every game he ever played for Northern Ireland I was amazed when Rangers were even linked to signing him.

He has never impressed me for Northern Ireland, he scores the odd goal and everyone in the country creams themselves and thinks hes the best thing since sliced bread. He is used as a target man to play along side David Healy, but his inability to win a header makes him useless at that.

When I think about it I dont know anything he is actually good at, another Charlie Adam if you ask me.

Unfortunately Norn Iron dont have many other options.

Rangers do on the other hand so get rid of him or loan him out.

And what makes it all the worse is the amount of money we wasted on the lad, not even worth half what we paid.

The only good point is that he has youth on his side, the boy may come good, for his careers sake he better.

Thats interesting, coming from someone who has seen plenty of him play. I'm kind of in two minds on this one. If he stays I hope he's one of these players who improves with age, but we as a club really don't have time to play with. For me he needs to come good soon.

Moving him to striker:

Utter nonsense.

Lafferty played the majority of his games on the left wing for Burnley. You say he comes alive as a striker? He scored 9 goals in about 100 games for Burnley, yes he might have bene playing on the wing but i'd be expecting him to get that every 30 games if he is THAT good a finisher.

He will have to do alot of improving and fast.