Gers set to swoop for Driver and Berra

disgruntled_bear

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although i wouldnt like to see us spend that sort of money on two Hearts players some people need to get a grip!

SPL pish....look at the players we have signed over the years from SPL pish that have become important players in the team!

McCann, Dodds, Thomson, Novo, Boyd im sure there are a lot more that i cant think of them off the top of my head.

I agree that the money could be spent wiser in that i dont think they are worth £2m each, but surely if these players are standouts week in week out for there own team then given time to settle, playing with better players with make them even better players?!

Berra would strengthen our defence, I don't see how anyone can deny that. It's all very well arguing that players like Tonel are better but do we really know that until they play in the SPL? Rodriguez had excellent credentials but IMO never adapted to playing in Scotland and was often a liability in the SPL.

It is absolutely crucial that we win the league this year. I think Berra would help us do that so if he can be got at sensible money we should go for him IMO.

IMO if we sign Berra it's because we have sold Majid, i've been worrying about this for a while now. If Berra was replacing Weir then that would be fair enough, but as we have seen over the last few transfer windows its normally our better players that are sold.

I can see dire times aahead.

come on guys get a grip

We'll only be selling Magic for 2 reasons:

- we get a lareg bid ala Hutton, Boumsong, Cuellar that's either so big we can't refuse, or it triggers a clause in his contract

- he demands to get out, gets all stroppy etc

we won't let him go for just a 500K profit

I think Berra's worth about £700k just now.

BUT

Under Weir's guidance for 6 months and with a bit of luck, he could be decent.

Begs the whole Murray Park question again though - why are we still pursuing other team's youngsters?

Because other teams youngsters are getting first team football and ours aren't??

Means they are already tested and ours aren't.

Which asks the question why aren't ours tested??

I think the simple answer is because we demand success. WS will see it better to go for tried and tested than untried and gamble. Let us be honest, if he played our youngsters and we got beaten he would get hounded. It is a kind of no win situation.

Very true mate, happens every season with at least one younger player we have

Another thing, people can complain, and, disuss Tonel, but, if he is that good, why would he come to us? Its alright being linked in the paper, but, surely he would go the EPL route?

Then again, realism doesnt sit well with some

Another thing, people can complain, and, disuss Tonel, but, if he is that good, why would he come to us?

No-one's calling him a World beater here. He's just a much better player than Christophe Berra is ever aspect.

People said the same about us getting Cuellar(the few that knew about him)Mendes and Davis.

I really don't understand all the hype that surrounds Berra, I think people just like him because he did well against Rangers and celtc? What about his performance at Ibrox and against ceitc at Tynecastle, against Inverness, at Tannadice and against Killie - and that's only this season! Surely if people have been watching Hearts and Berra then Marius Zaliukas would of stuck out like a sore thumb - a player who is an allround better footballer and more importantly, defender!

I think Berra's worth about £700k just now.

BUT

Under Weir's guidance for 6 months and with a bit of luck, he could be decent.

Begs the whole Murray Park question again though - why are we still pursuing other team's youngsters?

Because other teams youngsters are getting first team football and ours aren't??

Means they are already tested and ours aren't.

Which asks the question why aren't ours tested??

I think the simple answer is because we demand success. WS will see it better to go for tried and tested than untried and gamble. Let us be honest, if he played our youngsters and we got beaten he would get hounded. It is a kind of no win situation.

Another thing, people can complain, and, disuss Tonel, but, if he is that good, why would he come to us? Its alright being linked in the paper, but, surely he would go the EPL route?

You're totally underestimating the pulling power of Rangers.

Remember Boumsong? He was linked with nearly every top side in Europe and we managed to persuade him to Ibrox, albeit for 6 months. Then there's the likes of Mendes, Darcheville and Davis who had EPL offers but decided to come here. Even Cuellar had other offers in Spain.

Whilst we may not be able to compete with the big boys, we're more than able to compete with our European counterparts like Sporting Lisbon.

If it's true, the downsizing has well and truly started.

Is in not crystal clear that we need to do that anyway ?

If we somehow pull of a miracle and manage to punt all those players mentioned (minus Beasley) and perhaps McCulloch but bring in Driver and Berra I'd be delighted with the movements in January.

I don't rate Berra too highly but he's a better player than Dailly & McCulloch combined. With Weir still at the club we'd have three central defenders that I'd be confident could see us out until the summer.

I've always rated Driver and have been saying for a while that he'd be a great signing.

Driver is not too bad a player, but personally I would play Beasley and Aaron first, so what is the point???

As for Berra, he is just crap. He is too small, has bad awareness and limited technical ability.

Deja Vu, and not just about the signings.

Driver and Berra are young players who with the right guidance can improve.

I'm honestly sick of hearing about these so called pish SPL players. I seem to remember similar said about Broadfoot and Thomson, the latter of which is being tipped by many as the next captain of this club of ours.

I also have to laugh at a lot of people on about pish SPL players replacing the likes of Novo, who a decent enough and honest enough player he is, basically falls into the same category as players I have mentioned above, but just because he apparently rejected Celtic can do no wrong, infact if we judge players on their previous clubs he isn't even a pish SPL player he's a Pish First division player as he came from Dundee. :rolleyes:

If Broadfoot, Thomson, Novo, Whittaker can make it at Rangers, why the hell can't Driver and Berra? If we do sign one or both I for one will reserve judgement until I have seen what they can do at Rangers, and until such time as I can judge for myself they will get my full support whilst in a Rangers jersey.

Deja Vu, and not just about the signings.

Driver and Berra are young players who with the right guidance can improve.

I'm honestly sick of hearing about these so called pish SPL players. I seem to remember similar said about Broadfoot and Thomson, the latter of which is being tipped by many as the next captain of this club of ours.

I also have to laugh at a lot of people on about pish SPL players replacing the likes of Novo, who a decent enough and honest enough player he is, basically falls into the same category as players I have mentioned above, but just because he apparently rejected Celtic can do no wrong, infact if we judge players on their previous clubs he isn't even a pish SPL player he's a Pish First division player as he came from Dundee. :rolleyes:

If Broadfoot, Thomson, Novo, Whittaker can make it at Rangers, why the hell can't Driver and Berra? If we do sign one or both I for one will reserve judgement until I have seen what they can do at Rangers, and until such time as I can judge for myself they will get my full support whilst in a Rangers jersey.

Berra just another McCulloch and we all know what happened there

Without the experience at mighty Wigan of course