GB team to be approved

rfc_no1fan

Fifa are set to formally approve a Great Britain team for the London Olympics despite opposition from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The ssue is to be discussed by Fifa's executive committee this week and they are expected to give it the go-ahead

A source close to Fifa said " The executive committee are certain to rule in favour of a Great Britain team - but only for London 2012, not beyond"

Good news (tu)

Im delighted, but would also like some sort of rule saying that there must be at least 3 players from each home nation in the starting 11.

I know 4 x 3 = 12... but that's close enough to 11. You know what I mean, in the interests of fairness.

tbh it's not about fairness, its about winning, and at the end of the day they are all british and competing for Britain, so I couldnt care if all the starting eleven came solely from any of the home nations :unionflag:

Im delighted, but would also like some sort of rule saying that there must be at least 3 players from each home nation in the starting 11.

I know 4 x 3 = 12... but that's close enough to 11. You know what I mean, in the interests of fairness.

tbh it's not about fairness, its about winning, and at the end of the day they are all british and competing for Britain, so I couldnt care if all the starting eleven came solely from any of the home nations :unionflag:

Not in this instance it's not about winning for me.

What this is, is a ground breaking step. Football is the game of the people in Britain, this should hopefully make the union stronger through football and just this once, I would rather accomodate everyone and have fair representation in the team.

its bittersweet for me

I am British and would be good to see how this pans out. What colour our strip will be who plays etc. But is this the end of the home nations? I support Scotland all the way and love supporting Scotland and would like to continue to do so.

Is it wrong to be British and proud yet want to support Scotland and keep it separate in a footballing sense?

On the other hand would we do a rugby and have our home nations and the british team....will F.I.F.A allow it? I dunno

its bittersweet for me

I am British and would be good to see how this pans out. What colour our strip will be who plays etc. But is this the end of the home nations? I support Scotland all the way and love supporting Scotland and would like to continue to do so.

Is it wrong to be British and proud yet want to support Scotland and keep it separate in a footballing sense?

On the other hand would we do a rugby and have our home nations and the british team....will F.I.F.A allow it? I dunno

Not at all.

the first stepping stone to a permanent British team has been taken.

If so, the first stepping stone to a British League has also been taken.

If I had to sacrifice the scottish national side to get rangers into a British league I would do it without hesitation. If that came to fruition it would be fantastic.

the first stepping stone to a permanent British team has been taken.

If so, the first stepping stone to a British League has also been taken.

If I had to sacrifice the scottish national side to get rangers into a British league I would do it without hesitation. If that came to fruition it would be fantastic.

I doubt it will happen, but surely it would be unsustainable for FIFA to insist on one National side but keep separate Leagues?